Thread: Mod Hosting

Icon1 Mod Hosting

I'm opening my previously private file hosting site to everyone.

It's located here:
    http://generalsun.dreamhosters.com/uploads/

It has a MAX file size of 800 MB.

Once uploaded all files are located at the url http://generalsun.dreamhosters.com/uploads/files/

If you want to hotlink feel free, just append your file name to the end of that url I linked there.

Of course be intelligent and don't upload the rtw cds or something. One idiot will ruin it for everyone. Also this is not any remote file storage server, there are other "web2.0" services for that so keep it total war or video game related.

I don't expect to ever have to delete any files so all files should be safe forever on that server. Hmm and that's it. I hope you'll all find this useful.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: Mod Hosting

Great offer. Could I ask how much bandwidth you have?

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

The actual number is huge, but dreamhost is a notorious overseller so I'm sure this will put the server through its paces. If you want an actual number dreamhost promised me 3.5 TB a month. In my experience what oversellers hate are database connections not bandwidth use. Though I suppose if the bandwith use from this starts to approach the limit dreamhost might start to have a problem as well heh.

Quote Originally Posted by General Sun View Post
    The actual number is huge, but dreamhost is a notorious overseller so I'm sure this will put the server through its paces. If you want an actual number dreamhost promised me 3.5 TB a month. In my experience what oversellers hate are database connections not bandwidth use. Though I suppose if the bandwith use from this starts to approach the limit dreamhost might start to have a problem as well heh.
    Actually 3.5TB isn't that much: Say we have a 350MB download with 10k downloaders. Voilą 3.5TB

Anyways just saying you should monitor it if you want to host one of the more anticipated mods. Still a great offer for the community

Edit: The reason why I asked is because I remember the first Chiv release well. We went through 4 or 5 TB in two weeks or so all in all. We should've hosted it via BitTorrent or on public sites but we didn't expect something close to 20000 downloads.
    Last edited by alpaca; September 09, 2007 at 05:16 AM.

You're right, this does have its limitations and dreamhost charges rather big for overage. I'll try to find some ways to connect my private servers together and create alternate mirrors from servers bought from other companies.

But you're very right, if you have a very popular mod you will want multiple mirrors definitely.

Yp, FATW also uses Dreamhost and although they have a very large storage space, the bandwidth can quickly go if you have just released something, especially if you host the forums there too!

I don't, I have over 20 servers.

Edit: Just purchased an additional 3 TB from DH.
    Last edited by General Sun; September 11, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

Thanks GS.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Thanks for the offer General Sun

Note about this added to the sticky thread here and Wiki page here

If you find you're getting too much traffic yell and I'll take it off those lists!

(btw I managed to send it a mymod.cfg file that wasn't actually necessary, was experimenting to see what upload options were and it took it instantly , sorry - just in case you want to tidy up! )

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Actually 3.5TB isn't that much: Say we have a 350MB download with 10k downloaders. Voilą 3.5TB

Anyways just saying you should monitor it if you want to host one of the more anticipated mods. Still a great offer for the community

Edit: The reason why I asked is because I remember the first Chiv release well. We went through 4 or 5 TB in two weeks or so all in all. We should've hosted it via BitTorrent or on public sites but we didn't expect something close to 20000 downloads.
    Certainly from a downloaders perspective it's usually better to download it via full speed FTP (as in as fast as I can handle dl speed) however I'm sure the amount of cost for that balances itself out with the inconvenience of torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    Certainly from a downloaders perspective it's usually better to download it via full speed FTP (as in as fast as I can handle dl speed) however I'm sure the amount of cost for that balances itself out with the inconvenience of torrents.
    Not exactly. The problem is that when thousands of people try to download from the same mirror, there will either be people who will have to wait (capped) or the individual download speed will suffer.

BitTorrent just has a much larger network-wide throughput than most mods can offer via servers (and there's added inconvenience if you use things like Rapidshare)

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Not exactly. The problem is that when thousands of people try to download from the same mirror, there will either be people who will have to wait (capped) or the individual download speed will suffer.

BitTorrent just has a much larger network-wide throughput than most mods can offer via servers (and there's added inconvenience if you use things like Rapidshare)
    As I said... a full speed ftp (your not capped).

That is exactly what I'm saying. Bittorent is much cheaper for the person running the server however it is a bit inconvenient for the end user.