Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930

Thread: Job: Temple Descriptions

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Job: Temple Descriptions

About Istakhr and "the Site of Persepolis", I was wondering if we could create a similar but smaller effect than there is between Memphis and "The Great Pyramid" in Egypt. This could include Persis and maybe some other Iranian regions next to Istakhr.

For instance "The restoration of Persepolis as a goodwill gesture increases the loyalty of noble Persians to the owing Faction regardless of culture".

This should motivate the Seleucids to defend it against any attackers and upgrading "The Site of Persepolis" helps management especially in Persis. Naturally Parthia, Baktria, and Armenia have equal desires to capture Istakhr in their own campaings...

Luc.
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; June 24, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

I think maybe 3 building trees for 6 Barbarian special buildings would be better than 2 Building trees.

Here is just my idea for 6 free slots +2 already barbarians slots(Farming & Law)=8 slots as well as bonus for them

Free normal(non-barbarians) slot
    1)Leadership
    The Site of Persepolis, Persis(Istakhr)(Bonus on happiness, law and farming. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

2)Love
    The Resort of Daphne at Antioch, Syria(Antioch)(Bonus on happiness, health and growth. Also get some missile bonus if faction's culture=greek)

3)Trade
    The Tophet of Carthage , Zeugitana(Carthage)(Bonus on happiness, trade and farming. Also get some law bonus if faction's culture=cathaginian)

4)Battle
    Acropolis of Athens, Attica(Athens)(Bonus on happiness, law and trade. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=greek)

5)Horse
    Karahunj, Armenia_Maior(Armavir)(Bonus on happiness, exp and farming. Also get some forge bonus if faction=armenia)(exist to made life of Armenia's player much easier)

Barbarian Slot 3 slots(give much fewer bonus if faction's culture of owner is not barbarian)

6)Fertility(free slot)
    1.The Sleza and Radunia Complex, Locus Lugii(Carrodunum)(Bonus on happiness, growth and trade. Also get reasonable amount of battle bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Petrogliphs Sanctuaries of Semirechye, Wusan(Chighu)(Bonus on happiness, growth and exp. Also get reasonable amount of law bonus if faction=parthia or barbarian)

7)Farming(already there)
    1.Stonehenge(already there)(Bonus on happiness, growth and farming. Also get reasonable amount of trade bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Carnac Stones, Amorica(Darioritum)(Bonus on happiness, farming and forge. Also get reasonable amount of law bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

8)Law(already there)
    1.Kogaionon(already there)(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get reasonable amount of exp bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Externsteine, Tribus Suebi(Teutoburgum)(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get reasonable amount of exp bonus if faction's culture=barbarian),
    or Temple of Uppsala, Scandia(Burgaz Sueones)(Bonus on happiness, law and growth. Also get reasonable amount of exp bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

Here are my ideas on bonus for all special buildings which already in XGM
    9)Battleforge
    Capitoline Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=roman)

10)Forge
    Kaaba at Mecca(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get some trade bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

11)Fun
    The Oracle of Delphi(Bonus on happiness, trade and health. Also get some happiness bonus if faction's culture=greek)

12)Governors
    The Oracle of Dodona(Bonus on happiness, law and farming. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=greek)(to show how tough Epiriots were)

13)Healing
    Sanctuary of Asklepios(Bonus on happiness, health and growth. Also get some armour bonus if faction's culture=greek)

14)Hunting
    The Temple of Anahita at Ecbatana(Bonus on happiness, health and hunting. Also get some growth bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

15)Justice
    The Theban Necropolis(Bonus on happiness, law and growth. Also get some farming bonus if faction's culture=egyptian)

16)Naval
    Pillars of Herakles(Bonus on happiness, naval and exp. Also get some trade bonus if faction's culture=carthaginian)

17)One god
    The Second Temple of Yahweh at Jerusalem(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get some growth bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

18)Victory
    The Oracle of Amon at Siwa(Bonus on happiness, law and exp. Also get some weapon bonus if faction's culture=egyptian, carthaginian, greek)

19)Violence
    Abu Simbel(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=egyptian)

20)Horse 2
    Learning Center of Taxila(Bonus on happiness, law and trade. Also get some farming bonus if faction's culture=eastern, greek)

21)AcademySP1
    Library of Alexandria(Bonus on law. Also get some farming bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)

22)AcademySP2
    Library of Pergamum(Bonus on law. Also get some health bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)

23)AcademySP3
    Plato's Academy(Bonus on law. Also get some trade bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)
    Last edited by Suppanut; June 24, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Here´s one more description for those Barbarian special buildings. I think Externstein has more central location in the map than Uppsala that is a little bit too north. Besides the Germanic peoples Teutoburgum can be achieved by the Gauls and the Romans at least in a long proper campaign.

--------------------------------------

Externsteine (Teutoburgum)

The Extern Stones (Externsteine) are a distinctive rock formation located in the Teutoburg Forest in northern Germania. The megalithic site is a natural outcropping of five limestone pillars that situated by a very ancient trade route, oak trees grew there abundantly and there were numerous springs and healing mineral wells in the Weser Hills (Weserbergland). It is generally assumed that from the very earliest of times Externsteine was a centre of religious activity for the Germanic and Celtic peoples and their predecessors.

Those pillars have been modified and decorated by humans over the centuries in a variety of fascinating and mysterious ways: holes were drilled for no apparent reason; stairs lead to dead ends; platforms serve no clear purpose; and a large space faces the midsummer sunrise. The holes may have symbolized entry-points into the earth to release its energies, as at other rock sanctuaries. One large room is believed to have been used to initiate priests in the cult.

----------------------------------------

Luc.

I'm agree with you, Luc. Externsteine far more better option than Temple of Uppsala.

Here is update of my idea for 6 free slots +2 already barbarians slots(Farming & Law)=8 slots as well as bonus for them

Free normal(non-barbarians) slot
    1)Leadership
    The Site of Persepolis, Persis(Istakhr)(Bonus on happiness, law and farming. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

2)Love
    The Resort of Daphne at Antioch, Syria(Antioch)(Bonus on happiness, health and growth. Also get some missile bonus if faction's culture=greek)

3)Trade
    The Tophet of Carthage , Zeugitana(Carthage)(Bonus on happiness, trade and farming. Also get some law bonus if faction's culture=cathaginian)

4)Battle
    Acropolis of Athens, Attica(Athens)(Bonus on happiness, law and trade. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=greek)

5)Horse
    Karahunj, Armenia_Maior(Armavir)(Bonus on happiness, exp and farming. Also get some forge bonus if faction=armenia)(exist to made life of Armenia's player much easier)

Barbarian Slot 3 slots(give much fewer bonus if faction's culture of owner is not barbarian)
    6)Fertility(free slot)
    1.The Sleza and Radunia Complex, Locus Lugii(Carrodunum)(Bonus on happiness, growth and trade. Also get reasonable amount of health bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Petrogliphs Sanctuaries of Semirechye, Wusan(Chighu)(Bonus on happiness, growth and exp. Also get reasonable amount of law bonus if faction=parthia or barbarian)

7)Farming(already there)
    1.Stonehenge(already there)(Bonus on happiness, growth and farming. Also get reasonable amount of trade bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Carnac Stones, Amorica(Darioritum)(Bonus on happiness, farming and forge. Also get reasonable amount of law bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

8)Law(already there)
    1.Kogaionon(already there)(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get reasonable amount of exp bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

2.Externsteine, Tribus Suebi(Teutoburgum)(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get reasonable amount of exp bonus if faction's culture=barbarian)

Here are my ideas on bonus for all special buildings which already in XGM
    9)Battleforge
    Capitoline Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=roman)

10)Forge
    Kaaba at Mecca(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get some trade bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

11)Fun
    The Oracle of Delphi(Bonus on happiness, trade and health. Also get some happiness bonus if faction's culture=greek)

12)Governors
    The Oracle of Dodona(Bonus on happiness, law and farming. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=greek)(to show how tough Epiriots were)

13)Healing
    Sanctuary of Asklepios(Bonus on happiness, health and growth. Also get some armour bonus if faction's culture=greek)

14)Hunting
    The Temple of Anahita at Ecbatana(Bonus on happiness, health and hunting. Also get some growth bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

15)Justice
    The Theban Necropolis(Bonus on happiness, law and growth. Also get some farming bonus if faction's culture=egyptian)

16)Naval
    Pillars of Herakles(Bonus on happiness, naval and exp. Also get some more trade fleets bonus if faction's culture=carthaginian)

17)One god
    The Second Temple of Yahweh at Jerusalem(Bonus on happiness, law and health. Also get some growth bonus if faction's culture=eastern)

18)Victory
    The Oracle of Amon at Siwa(Bonus on happiness, law and exp. Also get some weapon bonus if faction's culture=egyptian, carthaginian, greek)

19)Violence
    Abu Simbel(Bonus on happiness, law and forge. Also get some exp bonus if faction's culture=egyptian)

20)Horse 2
    Learning Center of Taxila(Bonus on happiness, law and trade. Also get some growth bonus if faction's culture=eastern or faction= britons)

21)AcademySP1
    Library of Alexandria(Bonus on law. Also get some farming bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)

22)AcademySP2
    Library of Pergamum(Bonus on law. Also get some health bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)

23)AcademySP3
    Plato's Academy(Bonus on law. Also get some trade bonus if faction's culture=greek, egyptian)
    Last edited by Suppanut; June 27, 2008 at 09:29 AM.

DimeBagHo: Please tell me once you decide about special temple which you want to add to replace the free slots or add due to barbarian temple solution. So I could think and plan about ancillaries and traits which suit for them and add to ethnic traits module.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

It looks like I didn't get around to squeezing the barbarian special temples. Perhaps I was just thinking about it. So for now I'll add just one more barbarian special temple - the Carnac Stones. When we get to version 5.8 I'll squeeze in the other 3 barbarian special temples that have been proposed.

The five other proposed special temples look fine to me. For Persepolis we could add a small faction-wide happiness bonus for the Seleucids (+10% maybe), possibly off-set by a happiness penalty from government buildings. I think it would make sense to add a small faction-wide happiness bonus for the eastern factions as well - maybe +5%.

Do we have a description for the Acroplis?
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; June 27, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    It looks like I didn't get around to squeezing the barbarian special temples. Perhaps I was just thinking about it. So for now I'll add just one more barbarian special temple - the Carnac Stones. When we get to version 5.8 I'll squeeze in the other 3 barbarian special temples that have been proposed.
    Then please specify special temple's building labels for me to made sure that I could finish traits/ancillaries for all temples, both new 6 new temples for 5.7 for Ethnic Traits Module Final edition as well as all new building labels for 6 reformed barbarian temples for next version of 5.8 to made sure that they give proper traits and ancillaries in released version of XGM 5.8.1(as I will created version for include in 5.8.x as quick as possible and send it to you once you ask for it.)

The five other proposed special temples look fine to me. For Persepolis we could add a small faction-wide happiness bonus for the Seleucids (+10% maybe), possibly off-set by a happiness penalty from government buildings. I think it would make sense to add a small faction-wide happiness bonus for the eastern factions as well - maybe +5%.
    Please tell me which special feature or factionwide effect could be given to building as perhaps I could proposed better idea for all special temples as factionwide effect for special temples would be interesting.

Do we have a description for the Acroplis?
    We already have one which I write it but I think it not good enough as I just state mainly on Athena's temple but not mention enough on other gods of arcopolis.(Poseidon and Nike etc.) if you can't find it then I repost here.

Acropolis of Athens
    The Acropolis of Athens is the best known acropolis (high city, the "Sacred Rock") in the world. It has been an important part of the settlement since the Mycenaeans established the megaron as a fort on this hill. It grew more important as temples were added from time to time. A temple sacred to "Athena Polias" (Protectress of the City) was erected by mid-6th century BC. In the late 6th century BC, yet another temple was built, usually referred to as the Archaios Naos (Old Temple). It is thought that the so-called Doerpfeld foundations might have belonged to this temple, which may have been sacred not to Athena Polias, but to Athena Parthenos (Virgin), at least for as long as the Polias "Bluebeard" temple stood. It is not known how long these temples coexisted. After the victory at Marathon in 490 BC, the "Bluebeard" Temple was dismantled, for a newer and grander marble building, the "Older Parthenon". To accommodate it, the south part of the summit was cleared of older remnants, made level by adding some 8,000 two-ton blocks of Piraeus limestone, a foundation 11 m deep at some points, and the rest filled with earth kept in place by the retaining wall. The Mycenaean gate was demolished and replaced with the Old Propylon, a monumental colonnaded structure whose purpose was strictly ceremonial, rather than defensive. But all these works were caught unfinished by the invading Persians in 480 BC, and was razed to the ground burnt and looted. Most of the major temples were rebuilt under the leadership of Pericles during the Golden Age of Athens (460–430 BC). Phidias, a great Athenian sculptor, and Ictinus and Callicrates, two famous architects, were responsible for the reconstruction. During the 5th century BC, the Acropolis gained its final shape. After winning at Eurymedon in 468 BC, Cimon and Themistocles ordered the reconstruction of southern and northern walls, and Pericles entrusted the building of the Parthenon to Ictinus and Phidias. All the other less important building on the Acropolis were also built at roughly the same time.

Perhaps LucretiusTC would be able to updated it to the better ones.

I did some further research, and here is a new description for "Acropolis of Athens". I tried to keep those various details relatively short.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acropolis of Athens

The Acropolis is a flat-topped rock which rises 150 m above sea level in the city of Athens. It has been an important part of the settlement since the Mycenaeans established the megaron, the great hall as a fort on this hill. In association with the re-organization of the Panathenaic festival in 566 BCE, there was a burst of architectural and sculptural activity, and the first monumental temple of Athena Polias (Protectress of the City) was built on the Acropolis. This Doric limestone building, from which many relics survive, is referred to as the "Bluebeard" temple, named after the pedimental three-bodied man-serpent sculpture, whose beards were painted dark blue. By the time the "Bluebeard" Temple had been dismantled, a newer and grander marble building, the "Older Parthenon", was started following the victory at Marathon. The Older Parthenon was caught unfinished by the invading Persians in 480 BCE, and was razed to the ground burnt and looted.

Most of the major temples were rebuilt on the grand scale under the leadership of Pericles during the Golden Age of Athens. After winning at Eurymedon in 468 BCE, Kimon and Themistocles ordered the reconstruction of southern and northern walls, and Pericles entrusted the building of the Parthenon to architects Ictinus and Callicrates. The classical Parthenon was constructed between 447-432 BCE to be the focus of the Acropolis building complex. It was dedicated to the goddess Athena Parthenos (Virgin). The temple’s main function was to shelter the monumental statue of Athena that was made by Pheidias out of gold and ivory. The temple and the chryselephantine statue were dedicated in 438, although work on the sculptures of its pediment continued until completion in 432 BCE.

In 437 BCE Mnesicles started building the Propylaia, a monumental gateway that served as the entrance to the Acropolis in Athens. South of the Propylaia, building of the small Ionic Temple of Athena Nike commenced. There the citizens worshipped the goddess in hope of a prosperous outcome in the long war fought on land and sea against the Spartans and their allies in the Peloponnese War. The Temple of Athena Nike was an expression of Athens' ambition to be the leading Greek city state in the Mediterranean region.

During the same period the Erechtheion was built as a replacement for the “Old Temple” and to house all the shrines and rituals that once took place there. The east end of the Erechtheion was dedicated to Athena Polias, the protector of the earth and fertility and housed the ultra-sacred wooden statue of Athena. The west part of the building was devoted to Poseidon-Erechtheus, and sheltered the marks on the rock where Poseidon struck with his trident during his contest with Athena, the Erechtheian Sea fountain.

Between the temple of Athena Nike and the Parthenon there was the sanctuary of Artemis Brauronia, the goddess represented as a bear and worshipped especially in Brauron on the east coast of Attica. She was the goddess of hunting, wild animals and wilderness, and the protectress of girls and women. Her archaic wooden cult image and a later sculpture made by Praxiteles in 346 BCE were both located in Brauroneion.

The city of Athens was without doubt the most important cultural centre of the Classical Period. Later, during the Hellenistic period, and despite a decrease in its importance due to the advent of new political centres and cultural forces, Athens did not cease to be an important city and an essential centre of considerable artistic radiance. In the new Hellenism that emerged from the expeditions of Alexander the Great, the city occupied a special place for its heritage. While still functioning as a religious centre, the Acropolis, in a sense, became kind of a theatre of memory linking the glory days of Athens with the new powers of the world.

----------------------------------------------

Luc.
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; June 27, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Some clarifications 28.07.2008

That's excellent Lucretius.

Suppanut: For version 5.7 the internal labels for the temples won't change. For 5.8 the barbarian ones will change. There will be two special temples in each tree, with two levels each. The internal labels will look like:

temple_of_farming_large_temple_sp1
    temple_of_farming_awesome_temple_sp1
    temple_of_farming_large_temple_sp2
    temple_of_farming_awesome_temple_sp2

For faction-wide effects you can use just about any building effect - any of the usual temple bonuses, or the bonuses used in the monument buildings, and even recruitment lines. Obviously we don't want to go crazy with faction-wide effects. They have a huge influence on the strength of a faction.

Thanks, DBH.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are these the slots they use in next version?

Leadership: The Site of Persepolis, Persis(Istakhr)(already in XGM but not yet placed)

Love: The Resort of Daphne at Antioch, Syria(Antioch)

Trade: The Tophet of Carthage , Zeugitana(Carthage)

Battle: Acropolis of Athens, Attica(Athens)

Horse: Karahunj, Armenia_Maior(Armavir)

Fertility: Carnac Stones, Amorica(Darioritum)

Please approve these if they are correct and tell me if they are wrong as I want to start my work as soon as possible.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; June 27, 2008 at 10:24 PM.

That's correct.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; June 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM.

Thank you, DBH.

Then about Barbarian special temple in XGM 5.8.X

farming_sp1: Stonehenge

farming_sp2: Petrogliphs Sanctuaries of Semirechye

fertility_sp1: Carnac Stones

fertility_sp2: Sleza and Rudiana Complex

law_sp1: Kogaionon

law sp2: Externsteine

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct. One thing to watch out for with the triggers is that all of the special buildings will count as higher levels than the highest normal level. So if the trigger is something like 'building_exists >= some_temple_pantheon' then all of the special levels will satisfy that requirement.

I just checked the latest version of XGM, and I noticed some minor corrections. Those temple descriptions of Daphne (Antioch) and Persepolis (Istakhr) seem to be little bit older versions, not the latest ones (post #572 in this thread). Otherwise those special buildings seem to be okay...

Luc.
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; June 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

If there is going to be an Illyrian Faction, I think it would be good if there is also the similar kind of temple system for Illyrians as the other Factions. So I wrote some basic temple descriptions for Illyrians, but it was a little bit hard to do because Illyrians didn´t write about their gods themselves and there were lots of variations among the Illyrian tribes. But here is it:

THE ILLYRIAN PANTHEON

Culture: Illyrian
    Temple: temple_of_battle
    Name: Korrotos
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Korrotos, the Illyrian god of war, who was banished son of Ou and Genusus. The reason of the banishment was mysterious. Korrotos served as husband to Broket, the goddess of food and fortune, and was, apparently, allowed back into the family.

Temple: temple_of_battleforge
    Name: Armatus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Armatus, the Illyrian god of war who was particularly worshipped by the Dalmatae. Human sacrifice also played a role in the lives of the Illyrians. The ancient historian Arrian records the Illyrian chieftain Kleitus sacrificing three boys, three girls and three rams just before his battle with Alexander the Great. So the Illyrians were often seen as barbarous people, who resembled the ruder tribes of Thrace that were known about their tattoos.

Temple: temple_of_farming
    Name: Genusus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Genusus, the Illyrian mother goddess whose name is believed to have a relation of the Greek word of “Genesis”, the beginning. It was a central to Illyrian beliefs that everything was born by Mother Earth, and everything around the world can be traced back to Genusus and Ou, the god of sky, especially all other gods. According to Greek and Roman sources the Liburnians were known about their independent women and matriarchal society.

Temple: temple_of_fertility
    Name: Broket
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Broket, the Illyrian goddess of food and fortune and the consort of Korrotos, the god of war. This may indicate a belief that sufficient food brings good fortune. As a primary source of income, the Illyrians raised livestock - pigs, sheep and goats mostly, and in some rare instances, cattle and horses as well. Farming was a luxury to those on rich fertile plains, e.g. Pannonia, as wheat and millet were the basic crops.

Temple: temple_of_forge
    Name: Zeau
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Zeau, the Illyrian god of intelligence, a twin brother of Mikon, the god of friendship; they both were originally born as snakes and were favourites of Illyrian farmers. Otherwise snakes were regarded in many ancient religions mostly as guardians, e.g. of houses, tombs, springs, and altars. The frightening aspect of snakes finds expression more in myth and art than in cult.

Culture: Illyrian (Greek/Thracian)
    Temple: temple_of_fun
    Name: Dionysos
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Dionysos, the great Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure and festivity. He was depicted as either an older bearded god or a pretty effeminate, long-haired youth. His attributes included the thyrsos (a pine-cone tipped staff), drinking cup, leopard and fruiting vine. He was also called both by Greeks and Romans Bacchus, that is, the noisy or riotous god, which was originally a mere epithet or surname of Dionysus.

Culture: Illyrian (Thracian)
    Temple: temple_of_governors
    Name: Hero (Illyrian version)
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to the Hero god, also known as The Thracian Horseman. The Hero was no doubt the central figure in Thracian religion, the hope and faith of the people. Their hero was all seeing and all hearing, he was the sun and also the ruler of the netherworld, he was the protector of life and health, and kept the forces of evil at bay. The Thracian Hero was depicted always on a horse, slaying something with his spear, and he was worshipped at hundreds of sanctuaries. His cult also spread to Illyria and Scythia Minor.

Culture: Illyrian (Greek)
    Temple: temple_of_healing
    Name: Apollo (Illyrian version)
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Apollo, the great Olympian god of prophecy and oracles, healing, plague and disease, music, song and poetry, archery, and the protection of the young. He was the son of Zeus and Leto, and the twin brother of Artemis. He was also a god of light, known as "Phoebus", and he was sometimes identified with Helios, the sun god. The cult of the sun was more dominant among the northern Illyrians but the cult of the serpent was more important to the southern Illyrians.

Temple: temple_of_horse
    Name: Medauras
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Medauras, who was depicted as carrying a lance and riding on horseback. Rider-gods were extremely popular in the Eastern Balkans, and they frequently fulfilled the function of helper and saviour. Medauras was also known as the patron deity of the Illyrian town Rhizon.

Temple: temple_of_hunting
    Name: Thana
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Thana, the Illyrian goddess of waters and forests, and she was an equivalent to the Greek Artemis and the Roman Diana. Thana was also the consort of Vidasus, the protector of boundaries. Although the Illyrians did hunt, with the bow and arrow as their weapon of choice, this skill was reserved primarily for attaining fur.

Temple: temple_of_justice
    Name: Vidasus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Vidasus, the Illyrian protector of boundaries. Vidasus and his companion Thana, the goddess of maidens, were a familiar combination worshipped by the Dalmatae as well as Armatus, the god of war. Later Vidasus was identified with a Roman Silvanus who was a god of woodland pastures, of boundaries, and of villas, parks, and gardens.

Temple: temple_of_law
    Name: Illyrius
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Illyrius, the mythical ancestor of the whole Illyrian people. According to the Greek mythology his father was Cadmus, the legendary Phoenician founder of Boetian Thebes and his mother was Harmonia, the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite. Illyrius was born during their expedition against the Illyrians, and it is from him that country got its name. Later Cadmus and Harmonia were turned into serpents and reached the Elysian Fields. Illyrius himself had many sons and daughters who gave their names to Illyrian tribes.

Temple: temple_of_leadership
    Name: Ou
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Ou, the Illyrian sky god. It was believed that Ou took Genusus, the mother goddess as his bride with the promise that his desire was so great that it would eternally pour into her. This legend is supported by the possibility that a caveman looking at the sky would certainly think it was falling to the earth - due to the dome shape.

Temple: temple_of_love
    Name: Shkumbe
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Shkumble who was the Illyrian goddess of love and beauty. Rodon, the god of the sea, took Shkumbe for his bride, perhaps corresponding to the idea that beaches and the open waterfront elicit a sort of grandeur beauty. Otherwise the women of Illyria seem to have occupied a high position socially and even to have exercised political power; queens are mentioned among their rulers.

Temple: temple_of_naval
    Name: Rodon
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated Rodon, the Illyrian god of the sea and the consort of Shkumbe, the goddess of love and beauty. Among the ancients the Adriatic Sea had from the earliest times a sinister reputation; piracy had had free play in these waters, and this profitable career had been assiduously followed by the inhabitants of the eastern shore. Later the existence of a strong and compact Illyrian State made it possible to create a real navy that was capable of warlike enterprises, powerful enough to attempt not only pillage but conquest. The original Liburnian ship model (lembi) was adopted by the Romans, and later even the majority of sailors in the Roman military navy originated from Illyricum.

Temple: temple_of_trade
    Name: Mikon
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Mikon, the Illyrian god of friendship and a twin brother of Zeau, god of intelligence; they both were originally born as snakes that were regarded as guardians in many ancient cultures. Generally speaking the Illyrians were known as seafarers, they build large well-fortified cities, they traded with Greek colonies on the coast, and they minted silver and copper coins.

Culture: Illyrian (Thracian)
    Temple: temple_of_violence
    Name: Zibelthiurdos (Illyrian version)
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Zibelthiurdos, a Thracian storm god, who controlled thunder, lightning and rain, and as being weather god he was sometimes associated with Zeus. Otherwise there appears to be no single most prominent Illyrian god and there would have been much variation between individual Illyrian tribes. So it seems that the Illyrians did not develop a uniform cosmology on which to centre their religious practices.

Culture: Illyrian (Greek)
    Temple: temple_of_victory
    Name: Nike
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Nike, the winged goddess of victory, both in battle and peaceful competition. When Zeus was gathering allies at the start of the Titan War, Styx brought her four children, Nike (Victory), Zelos (Rivalry), Kratos (Strength) and Bia (Force) into the service of the god. Nike was appointed his charioteer, and all four were appointed as sentinels standing beside the throne of the god. She was closely identified with the goddess Athena as her constant companion. In art Nike was represented as a woman with wings, dressed in a billowing robe with a wreath or staff. In the Hellenistic period she was used for political ends by the Diadochi on coins and gems.

---------------------------------------

Luc.
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; January 03, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Some additions

Good list though, as you always are.

As far as I see xgmD's export_buildings.txt, it is completely unsort/unorganise for human to look out, look like RexFox almost not touch it. In xgmD there are no complex temple system like in current XGM though.

If there are any plans to change the current Scythian Faction to the new Sarmatian Faction, here is a slightly updated version for that purpose. Basically all the gods and the temples are the same, but there are some changes and additions in the temple descriptions that should make them more suitable for the Sarmatians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SARMATIAN PANTHEON

Culture: Sarmatia
    Temple: temple_of_battle
    Name: Agin
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Agin, the ancient Indo-Iranian god of war who is corresponding the Greek god Ares. This god was incarnated in a short iron sword “akinakes” placed on the top of a big heap of brushwood. The victims to this ruthless god were cattle, horses, and even captives. Besides it was said that a young Scythian warrior ought to drink the blood of the first man he slays. The high amount of offensive weapons found in Sarmatian graves also indicates a military-oriented nomadic life.

Temple: temple_of_battleforge
    Name: Khursun
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Khursun, an Iranian solar god revered by the Scythians and Sarmatians. A Greek historian Herodotus describes Sarmatians as descendants of Scythian fathers and Amazon mothers who lived on the plains between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, north of the Caucasus. Actually Sarmatians were a coalition of Iranian nomadic tribes who were closely related to the Scythians, and they both were known as fierce warriors. On the other hand the unusual freedoms of Sarmatian women including their participation in warfare gave some credibility to the idea of their Amazon ancestors.

Temple: temple_of_farming
    Name: Argimpasa
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Argimpasa, the celestial goddess of fertility and springtime. Even though the Royal Scythians led a nomad and warlike life there were also the agrarian Scythians who farmed fertile black soil plains for their masters. Because of this flourishing agriculture in the steppe their main exports were grain, wax, honey, furs, and slaves. However it was typical to describe the important Sarmatian nations like Roxolani as “wagon-dwellers”.

Temple: temple_of_fertily
    Name: Ditagoia
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Ditagoia, a Scythian fertility goddess who shared similarities with Greek goddesses Artemis and Hekate. She was particularly important deity of the Bosporan aristocracy in Neapolis Scythica which was the Barbarian main fortress in the centre of the Taurica (Crimea) where the steppe meets the mountains. Otherwise the westernmost of the powerful Sarmatian nations was the Iazyges who later had most contacts with the Roman world.

Temple: temple_of_ forge
    Name: Hephaestus (Sarmatian version)
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Hephaestus, the great Olympian god of fire, metalworking, stonemasonry and the art of sculpture, the patron of the craftsmen. The Scythians also worked in a wide variety of materials such as gold, wood, leather, bone, bronze, iron, silver and electrum. As nomads, the Scythians and Sarmatians worked in decorative materials for use on their horses, tents and wagons and many of the pieces are small so as to be portable. The Greek craftsmen were sometimes commissioned to decorate many of daily use articles including their weapons.

Temple: temple_of_fun
    Name: Dionysus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Dionysus, the great Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure and festivity. He was depicted as either an older bearded god or a pretty effeminate, long-haired youth. His attributes included the thyrsos (a pine-cone tipped staff), drinking cup, leopard and fruiting vine. He was also called both by Greeks and Romans Bacchus, that is, the noisy or riotous god, which was originally a mere epithet or surname of Dionysus. Otherwise the Scythians were known about their particular habit to drink wine without thinning with water.

Temple: temple_of_governors
    Name: Targitaus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Targitaus, the forefather of the Scythians, the son of Papaios and the river Borysthenes. His mythological birth may be interpreted as the formation of the middle zone of the cosmos—"the world of people," between the heavenly and chthonic worlds. Targitaus was described as a horseman who holds a horn of plenty and he was celebrated especially during the summer solstice.

Temple: temple_of_healing
    Name: Goetosyrus
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Goetosyrus, whom Herodotus identified with the Greek Apollo, the sun god. He was celebrated especially during the winter solstice, the darkest time of the year. Generally speaking the religious practices of Sarmatian nomads were typical of the clan-tribal cults of pre-Zoroastrian Iran.

Temple: temple_of_horse
    Name: Kolaxais
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to the demigod Kolaxais, the mythical founder of the Scythian nation and its royal dynasties. One day a plough and a yoke, a battle-axe and a cup fell from the sky, but two elder brothers could not touch the objects. Then Kolaxais succeeded in grabbing those golden gifts from the heaven and this youngest son of Targitaus became the warrior and the ruler of the others.

Temple: temple_of_hunt
    Name: Leipoxais
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to the demigod Leipoxais, the eldest son of divine Targitaus and the patron of Scythian hunters. The military power of the Scythians based on a large, well-armed, and well-disciplined army of horse archers, and the hunting gave them good skills for the real war. As an example Strabo of Amasia estimated that the easternmost of Sarmatian nations, the Aorsi could assemble two hundred thousand mounted archers, but those numbers shouldn’t take too literally.

Temple: temple_of_justice
    Name: Anacharsis
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Anacharsis, a legendary Scythian prince who was well-known for his wisdom and travels. Sometimes this true philosopher was presented as an admirer of Greeks ways, but later he became to exemplify the wise Barbarian who criticised the Western customs. He compared laws to spiders' webs, which catch small flies and allow bigger ones to escape.

Temple: temple_of_law
    Name: Papaios
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Papaios, the Scythian All-Father, and the Eldest of the Gods. The marriage of Papaios (Heaven) and Api (Earth) was seen as cosmogonical act, a common concept among the Indo-Iranians. To mortals he was the ultimate patriarch, protector and law-giver to whom the Greeks identified to Zeus himself. The actual laws of Sarmatian society favoured aristocratic warrior elite, the Argaragantes who was served by the slaves. The typical tribe was still nomadic, roaming over the steppes on horseback or in covered wagons, the kibitkas.

Temple: temple_of_leadership
    Name: Tabiti
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Tabiti, whom Herodotus identified with the Greek Hestia. The unity of all the Scythian tribes is embodied in the image of this goddess, and she was connected with the royal house and the royal hearth. Therefore, the highest oath was that to the “royal Hestias”, goddess of the fire and the hearth”. The evidence of fire cult practices is also exemplified by charcoal and ashes found in the burials.

Temple: temple_of_love
    Name: Api
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Api, the Scythian Earth Mother and the mother of the Gods. She was celebrated as a sexual being as much as a fertility goddess. To the Greeks she was an equivalent to Gaia, the primeval divinity of earth, one of the primal elements who first emerged at the dawn of creation, along with air, sea and sky. Otherwise the ancient observers often noted that Sarmatian women did not behave as they expected: their position was clearly better than in the classical Mediterranean world. The Greeks explained this strange phenomenon with the hypothesis that the Sarmatians descended from the Amazons.

Temple: temple_of_naval
    Name: Thamigasados
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Thamigasados, who was the Scythian sea god according to the Greek historian Herodotus. Besides the Black Sea, the big rivers like Borysthenes (Dnieper), Tanais (Don) and Ister (Danube) were important traffic routes at the time when the proper roads were nearly non-existent and even the rivers had their own gods.

Temple: temple_of_trade
    Name: Arpoxais
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to the demigod Arpoxais, the middle son of divine Targitaus, and the patron of cattle-breeders and traders. In addition to war booty, trade with the Greek colonies on the Black Sea provided the Scythians most of their wealth. The first Sarmatians who had contacts with the Hellenic groups on the coast was the Siraces. They were the most Hellenized of the Sarmatians, and maintained good relations with the Bosporans.

Temple: temple_of_violence
    Name: Scythes
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Scythes, the first king of the Scythians and the son of Heracles as the Greeks who settled round the Black Sea have told. According to legend Heracles had three sons with a serpent-maiden who had hidden the hero’s horses and required him to as the father of her children. Before he left she wanted to know what was to be done about her three sons once they grew up. Two of those sons, Agathyrsus and Gelonus proved not able to be enough in pursuit of the proposed prize and were gone out of the country expelled by their mother, but the youngest of them, Scythes, having brought it to completion, stayed behind in the country. So, Scythes, the son of Heracles became the first king in Scythia, even though according to another strong tradition the true forefather of Scythians was Targitaus.

Temple: temple_of_victory
    Name: Simurgh
    Description: This Shrine is dedicated to Simurgh, the divine gryphon of Persian mythology that was worshipped by the Scythians and Sarmatians. The gryphon (griffin) was a gigantic, winged monster in the shape of a bird; a kind of peacock with the head of a dog and the claws of a lion. This benevolent creature was considered to purify the land and waters and hence bestow fertility. According to legend, the gryphon was so old that it has seen the world destroyed three times over. In all that time, Simurgh has learned so much that it is thought to possess the knowledge of all ages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luc.
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; June 08, 2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Minor addition