Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: PRO DEO ET REGE: Kingdoms Edition Bug Reports

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE: Kingdoms Edition Bug Reports

Quote Originally Posted by MadFrancis View Post
    Anyone know why the download links (both of them) for PDER:Kingdoms is not linking to anything downloadable?
    Dear me! They done deleted my files! Without so much as a e-mail notification like they usually do. I'll try to re-upload them tonight or so...apologies!

Is france really only able to build Levy Cavalry at any and all levels of stables? Are mailed knights really the best cavalry unit that France can build? Do you really have to own a Shipwright to build the third and fourth tier stables? If so does that mean that all of interior france is unable to build the higher level stables (because they cannot build shipwrights)?

If these things are untrue then something in your database is screwy, if not ... what happened to France's elite cavalry? Also, the building browser for the venetians also showed the stables as only ever producing Levy Cavalry.

Just curious.

Great mod.

edit: Ok, so I think that many of frances units are technology dependent (ie a certain time based event must occur; eg Heavy Mail, etc), and the building browser only shows what is currently available to build.

However, is it really true that a shipwright must be present in a territory to build the 3rd and 4th tier stables (which, I am assuming, makes interior cities incapable of building elite cavalry)? Or is that a bug/mistake?
    You are correct sir! Most of the units are technology/era dependent. So you can't recruit Feudal Knights until A] you've reached the Heavy Mail event (1180 or so, if memory serves correct and B] you've built a Feudal Estate in a castle province.

Shipwights are not not a prerequisiste I don't believe for advanced cavalry. It's just that outside of castle provinces, a Western feudal faction is limited to levy cavalry, mounted crossbowmen and militia cavalry units in city provinces.

If you want heavy cavalry, need to make some of your provinces castles to access the Feudal line of buildings.

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Social I added a couple of data base files from UAI 1.6, tried to see if a previous campaign save would load and of course it didnt, anyway i placed the original files backs and it still wont load. I placed back the exact files from the start but it just wont load.

ive added the system report but i doubt it will help
    Last edited by ♔ST0MPA♔; April 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

By the size of it it's the trace log. Try changing your setting to 'error'. Like this in your med...cfg file:

[log]
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * error

Blog Entries

Out of the 9,897,560 bytes only the last byte one is of any consequence:
    12:43:55.578 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

It pains me to say this, but: you seriously messed up your game. As a little advice for the next time: first extract\copy the new files to a seperate folder.
    After that add _org to the filename of all the files that will be replaced by copying into PDER.

This time you might have to bite the bullet: uninstall, extract the M2TW campaign files (if you haven't kept them) and re-install PDER.
    You might be lucky to continue your campaign (if you remembered to save it before uninstalling).

Oh yeah, thanks for using my fix.

No problem Gigantus, guess i will have to bite the bullet

and consider this a learning curve. appreciate your time to look it over.

Oh yeah, thanks for using my fix.
    of course, why shouldn't I
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Shipwights are not not a prerequisiste I don't believe for advanced cavalry. It's just that outside of castle provinces, a Western feudal faction is limited to levy cavalry, mounted crossbowmen and militia cavalry units in city provinces.

If you want heavy cavalry, need to make some of your provinces castles to access the Feudal line of buildings.
    Ok, well, it's just that when I check the building browser for, as an example Bern (a Castle in my game), it says that three things are required to build the Merhcant's Cavalry Stables and the Governor's Stables: a Shipwright, a Fairground and Paved Roads.

It's mostly this that had me confused. Wasn't sure if it was true that an inland castle (or city for that matter) couldn't build the tier 3 and 4 stables without a shipwright as the building browser indicates.

Blog Entries

The man is right:

Code:
    cavalry_militia_stables city requires factions { scotland, }  and building_present_min_level port shipwright and building_present_min_level market fairground and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads paved_roads

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    The man is right:

Code:
    cavalry_militia_stables city requires factions { scotland, }  and building_present_min_level port shipwright and building_present_min_level market fairground and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads paved_roads
    Where'd you find that? I was gonna try and fix it myself, see if I can salvage my current France campaign.

EDIT: Did some checking and it seems that all the catholic factions share this problem. Orthodox and Muslim factions don't require shipwrights to build stables.
    Last edited by MadFrancis; November 24, 2007 at 03:38 AM.

Blog Entries

open the E(xport)D(escr)B(uilding) file and use the red highlighted phrase to search for it

Ok, I went through and changed all the catholic factions to simply require an Assembly Hall (using the appropriate PDER faction specific tags) to build the third and (if applicable) fourth tier stables and it all seemed to work fine last night.

However, for some reason the game doesn't like to load saved games (CTDs when the loading screen displays). I can start and play through a campaign just fine, it just wont reload once you come back to it.

I'd fix what's wrong if I can, I just don't know where to start looking.

Another question.
    Does it matter? Are all the catholic factions' specialized mounted units built through the feudal chain of buildings? Or will the AI factions be loosing some of their elite or faction specific units if they cannot build the third and fourth tiers of the the stables?

If they do not then the game isn't unbalanced too much, it simply means that catholic factions that are located inland will loose a potential 10% PO bonus. If, however, factions end up missing out on their highend cav units then I'm afraid this mod will be too unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by PDER.systems.log.txt
    11:47:50.312 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    11:47:50.312 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    11:47:50.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    11:47:50.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    11:47:50.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    11:47:50.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    11:47:50.328 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    11:47:50.328 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    11:47:55.250 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/PDER_Kingdoms_v0.1a/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 13084, column 49
    trigger not found
    That's the error log for trying to load a saved game.
    Last edited by MadFrancis; November 24, 2007 at 05:16 PM.

Ok ...

So I was suddenly unable to even load the game at all before CTD. Hadn't really changed anything since last night when the game and mod seemingly worked fine. Then this morning I try and load my saved game from last night (which used the 'fixed' mod) and it wont load (CTDs on the loading screen after choosing a saved game to load).

I then revert the export_descr_building.txt to it's original state (western stables needing shipwrights, etc), and the mod won't even load at all before CTD.

I uninstall PDERKingdoms and reinstall, nothing. I uninstall and reinstall PDER without kingdoms and it's still broke (same error message as far as I can tell).

I unistall and reinstall MTW2/Kingdoms afresh. I then install PDER, it's patch, and PDERKingdoms (yes I unpacked all the neccessary files and deleted the two files from the Brittania mod) and this time I can load into the menu, and when I go to choose a country for a grand campaign everything seems normal except that there is no Novgorod faction available and then the game CTDs while loading any of the other countries.

Now I can't play the mod at all. What happened? I'm really very confused as to why the mod stopped working all together, especially after a clean install of the whole game and mod.

Note: The vanilla MTW2Kingdoms mods and the MTW2v1.3 work just fine. So my mod files are corrupted somehow, but not sure how (especially after a clean install).

EDIT:So ... I am new to this mod. I'm holding that as my excuse. I forgot to run the Kingdoms copy file .bat after my reinstalls ...........:hmmm:

Anyway, I leave all this up, instead of just editing it all away and leaving a brief explanation as a warning to all others. throroughly read each of the installation pages for the various steps needed to install before spending half a day very confused.

Well, back to working on that shipwright problem
    Last edited by MadFrancis; November 24, 2007 at 05:22 PM.

Phew. Alright. So ... apparently if you alter the export_desc_buildings.txt file it invalidates all your saved games. So these fixes won't work for old games but DOES seem to work fine for new ones. Still not sure why I couldn't start a new game after resintalling my copy of the original export_descr_buildings.txt file. Maybe it got corrupted somehow.

Within .../Med2/mods/PDER_Kingdoms_v0.1a\data\export_descr_buildings.txt, for each catholic faction I deleted any non faction requirements for tier 3 and 4 stables (essentially making it neccessary to have all the prereq buildings for the tier 1 and 2 stables that but not adding anything new ... yet).

This seems to work, and allows stables to built (what I am assuming is) correctly. I could email someone the export_descr_buildings.txt file if they don't want to bother doing it themselves or would like maybe to upload it somewhere so taht others can get to it ... I dunno.

It appears you cant change any files and expect to continue a saved game, evan if you change them back to the origional, I think its a retro bug personaly.
    I also have a another query concerning my generals getting the silly belief trait and eventually superstitious which destroys his piety, anyone else getting this on the kingdoms version of pder? its becoming quite annoying. it dosnt even have to trigger from a disaster event. a play manly as spain and even if the general is religiously proper bang next turn after he has been born sillybielif trait. it really is very annoying. I would love this trait annihilated from the game its seems bugged to me.

Blog Entries

when you change files midgame you always run the risk of messing up your save game. Not sure about the EDB, but making changes in something that didn't work shouldn't effect your game. There were apparently some higher level stables build already, might have caused the problem.
    Little tip for backing up your files before modding them: simply zip them.

Alright, I think maybe that it's not a mistake (after deeper reading of the script). Only cities are set to be able to build tier 3 and 4 stables at all anyway. Maybe the ports are representetive of easier access to a larger quantity of horses than landlocked neighbors might have. I dunno.

Alright, I think maybe that it's not a mistake (after deeper reading of the script). Only cities are set to be able to build tier 3 and 4 stables at all anyway. Maybe the ports are representetive of easier access to a larger quantity of horses than landlocked neighbors might have. I dunno.
    Let's see if I remember...:hmmm:

The Cavalry Militia stables were supposed to be available once a town grew prosperous enough that its merchants could afford mounts, armour and weapons.

The Fairgrounds and Shipwright requirements were to represent that a town had reached that point. But stupid me forgot that not all towns are coastal ones (must be because I grew up near the beach or something)...

Regardless, if it's just Catholic factions then the only real cavalry an inland town is missing out on are the Merchant Cavalry Militia and the Mounted Crossbowmen (if it gets them). A Catholic faction's best cavalry units are available through the Feudal line in castles anyway.

I'll fix the requirement nevertheless!

Cheers!

S_I

What about adding roads and armorer, and plate armor to fortress. you cant build these until the citadel event triggers, but cities have access to them. seems strange that a fortress wouldn't be able to take advantage of all available upgrades. dosent seem like you should have to rely on the third tear wall for these when a city only has one wall

Blog Entries

I think the level of the castle should be high enough to accommodate the higher skilled buildings. Castles were not exactly known for their finesse. You wanted good armor, you had to get it in town. Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ST0MPA View Post
    What about adding roads and armorer, and plate armor to fortress. you cant build these until the citadel event triggers, but cities have access to them. seems strange that a fortress wouldn't be able to take advantage of all available upgrades. dosent seem like you should have to rely on the third tear wall for these when a city only has one wall

Agreed.
    La Garde recule.