Thread: Using Modified Kingdoms (Self-Discovered Method, No Guarantees that it will Work)

Default Using Modified Kingdoms (Self-Discovered Method, No Guarantees that it will Work)

I'm just going to make this into simple steps, but first I will inform you that I am merely sharing my method of modifying the kingdoms expansion and I cannot guarantee that it will work for you. See below for step to step of running a modified kingdoms.

1. Unpack the files (found in sega/medieval II total war/tools/unpacker/)
    2. Choose the files that you will be modifying, delete the text folder and descr_new_geography.txt & descr_new_geography.db file.
    3. Find the .exe file of the specific campaign you want to play; Britannia Campaign.exe Teutonic Campaign.exe etc. (Usually found in the start menu or desktop.)
    4. Right click and go to properties of that execution file.
    5. Go to the end of the "target" line, and insert "--io.file_first"
    6. Run the game and it should work.
    Last edited by Imparalite; September 03, 2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updating Discoveries

Default Re: Using Modified Kingdoms (Self-Discovered Method, No Guarantees that it will Work)

Each shortcut points to kingdoms.exe so:

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/teutonic
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/crusades
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/british_isles
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/americas

In theory if we unpack one of the campaigns, and made a new mods folder, we could change certain files, like add a faction to one of the mods and use the "--io.file_first" to get the new mod to work. Will have to try that later. I just wanted to clarify the first post.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Using Modified Kingdoms (Self-Discovered Method, No Guarantees that it will Work)

This method worked for me, especially important is getting rid of the text folder.

However, I would put the text folder in a different folder, and create a blank text folder in the data.

Because if you ever want to add a unit, you are going to need to add the info about it into the existing text files, and if you delete the text folder you can't do that.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Do you delete this folder?
    SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\british_isles\data\text

But I need it if I want to change the Ancillary descriptions, or add Ancillaries.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Don't delete it, just move it.

Then move only the text files you need into a new (empty) text folder.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Leaky's Avatar Foederatus

I do not understand.

I unpacked British campaign

I deleted the descr_new_geography.txt & descr_new_geography.db files amd the text folder.

I changed the target to "D:\SEGA\Mwdieval 2 Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/british_isles--features.mod=mods/british_isles" --io.file_first"

I made my mod to the EDU

------------

I click to autoplay and the loading screen goes to that of the original M2TW and then it crashes. Have I missed any steps?

The target should be:-

"D:\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War\kingdoms.exe" --features.mod=mods/british_isles --io.file_first

Byg's Grim Reality Forums
    En mancansa del caval trotta anca el musso

aves's Avatar Military Historian

It keeps reading my normal m2tw (in addition to kingdome files) with that above target

How do I get crusades to work properly?

I can get it to start but whenever I change a units stats or something everything goes wrong. Wrong as in no more interface ingame, just white boxes. Also when I mod a units stats it causes all other units to loose there traits like good stamina etc.

Can anyone help?

aves's Avatar Military Historian

Yes! I get the same problem... I think its trying to put the basic M2TW UI overtop the Kingdoms UI

So far I have had no luck either since the text boxes are messed up, I will try some things later, but its a known problem.

read this thread, specifically post #4
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120974
    this should help with the UI errors