Thread: Sieges

LuciusCato's Avatar Tiro

Default Sieges

I hope that ditches/trenches and gun positions are included in sieges. especially if the enemy sallies, your guns should be entrenched and unable to move. I aslo hope that forts/camps will have fire steps on the walls.

Praepositus

Default Re: Sieges

maybe there will be a siege mod for the city that when yu use it yur city prepares its selfs for the the enemy army like building trenchs and etc
    also i would like to be able to repair or build small walls behind damaged wall
    as hapened in reality.

LuciusCato's Avatar Tiro

Indeed, i just hope they dont forget that forts and towns of the period didnt have Medieval style walls, expect where the defence's had been modified or included old castles ( Badajoz)

im hoping for artillery emplacements on city/fort walls.

In fact, i'd like it if forts hads tonnes of different building options of varying expense so that in the advent of sieges it doesn't feel like the same old thing over and over again.
    Know that you shall die like whores and the cries of your writhings shall rise to please their lord, so before the sword, side with me in the slaughter....

Lias_solano's Avatar Semisalis

Default Forlorn hope.

A quote from wikipedia

"
    Forlorn hope is a military term that comes from the Dutch verloren hoop, which should be translated as "lost troop": there is no cognition with hope in English.[1][2] In the days of muzzle-loading muskets it was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege. It was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or injured. The intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.
    A forlorn hope was typically led by a junior officer with hopes of personal advancement. If he survived, and performed courageously, he was almost guaranteed both a promotion and a long-term boost to his career prospects. As a result, despite the risks, there was often competition for the opportunity to lead the assault. The French equivalent of the Forlorn Hope, called Les Enfants Perdus or The Lost Children, were all guaranteed promotion to officers should they survive and on both sides, men took up the suicidal mission as an opportunity to raise themselves in the army."

Im hopeing that before a siege battle starts you can select a few units to become the forlorn hope.The selected units could have increased morale to show their determination to win and clear the breach of a city.And the survivors(if any) could gain maybe 2 experiance chevrons.Im hopeing something to represent the forlorn hope is in Empires as it will add to the authenticity and immersion of the game.

Lias
    British by birth,
    English by the grace of God.

Default Re: Forlorn hope.

Rarely do I feel compelled to reply to a thread. I tend to just read.

But my god is that a fantastic idea.

Thanks black_emperor.Im a complete sucker for anything that adds authenticity and immersion to the Total War games.The forlorn hope has just got to be in Empires.If not i will learn to mod and add them myself

lias
    British by birth,

Ordinarius

I'd love the inclusion of a forlorn hope, but ideally it wouldn't be whole units. Seeing as they were made of volunteers from the entire besieging army, most of the time, it should ideally take a skimming off the whole lot - a bit like the crusades in M:TW when they pass through a territory.

However, I think it's likely that this would just be simulated by using one of your units to spearhead the attack in the breach as usual.
    Last edited by Mechstra; September 11, 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

You'd have to have a feature where they only kept the boost when they actually where the first wave against an equal or superior foe. Otherwise people could just give their best units a boost and keep them back on reserve.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Thats a good point feliks.Maybe something like that when you are given your forlorn hope unit(i like the idea of skimming troops from the whole army.)they start the battle very close to the breach,in range of the defenders guns.If they tried to about face and march away they would get slaughterd.The only way they could achieve anything is by going forward and attacking.Some simple solution like that would be fine.

lias
    British by birth,

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

I hope CA add lots of little historical features like this, it would make the experience so much more immersive. Much like the EB team are trying to do with RTW.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

well i've learned no to expect too much historical accuracy from CA...we'll probably have to wait for mods to get historically accurate gameplay

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

Ordinarius

Generally, even the 'realism' mods for Total War games are just historically inaccurate in a different way. I can enjoy both vanilla TW and realism-modded TW pretty much equally.