Thread: Questions on Janissaries and delis??

Praepositus

Default Questions on Janissaries and delis??

So i know that janissaries were regular although in decline
    but how they should be in the game did they fired voleys or just at will? should they fight good in melee and they had the morale to resist an enemy voley? they were prety fanatic.
    and what about delis their name means they werein lower status than sipahis what did they do in battle did they were a type of irregular cossack ?

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Default Re: Questions on Janissaries and delis??

So i know that janissaries were regular although in decline
    but how they should be in the game did they fired voleys or just at will? should they fight good in melee and they had the morale to resist an enemy voley? they were prety fanatic.
    The janissaries may have fired on command, I don't know, but they fired relying on individual marksmanship rather than in volleys, they would not accept such kind of fighting claiming it turned men into mindless automatons rather than warriors, taking away the honour in war. They should be good at fighting with their swords and/or axes, but their lack of bayonets would mean they do not fight as one units, as they need room to swing their weapons, and if fighting men armed with bayonets in formation they shouldn't fare that good, unless those are just frightened peasants with guns. The janissaries who actually turned up for battles (a rather small number actually) were noted to have had an excellent morale, but many other sources explain how Ottoman armies would scatter under artillery bombardment, and then come together again.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Praepositus

hi randarkmaan i was thinking the same but i wasnt sure how about delis?

I think they were an irregular corps of light cavalry, I think from the Balkans, not like the cossacks, and I think they may have become a regular cavalry corps towards the end of the 18th century. They were usually armed with long lances and sabres, not able to stand up to a charge of European heavy cavalry, but able to charge over broken terrain and have greater stamina. I think they were primarily scots or raiders still, Ottoman cavalry was pretty insignificant in combat in the 18th century.

The tatars were more like the cossacks, and they are said to have been the best cavalry the Ottomans were able to field during this time period.

Praepositus

i think tatars should to be able to fight as horsearchers in the game as i think they did for the the first years. they could be still usefull against european cavarly rain them with arrows and then retreat. hahahahahahahahah
    Last edited by jo the greek; September 02, 2007 at 03:29 AM.

The Jannisaries were an elite infantry unit from Turkey.
    They were raised from birth to be soldiers.

The Turks would often kidnap children from Croatia and Bosnia, convert them to Islam, and train them to be Jannisaries (this was called "A tribute in blood")

About the cavalry someone mentioned, those were the Spahi, Turkish petty noblemen.

The janissaries were recruited by the Devshirme, which was a "human tax" paid by, mostly rural, Balkan christians, families with more than one son were obliged to give him to the Devshirme. After the 1648 (I think it was that date), the janissaries had got too many privileges and become too powerful politically and they no longer recruited via the devshirme, the position became hereditary and you could buy yourself in by bribing officials, later by just buying weapons and claiming to be a janissary.

Anyway, neither of your statements answer any of the questions, and the sipahi being "petty Turkish noblemen" is also false, you are probably thinking of the Timariots (sometimes also known as sipahi), but they could be anything from Turk to Serbian, from Muslim to Christian, what they had in common was that they held fiefs in exchange for military service (by the 18th century the Timariots were largely defunct, they were no longer warriors, just a peaceful land-owning aristocracy).

The real sipahis were recruited the same way as the janissaries, but they were the best of the recruits who would go to become officials, administrators, generals and the like and cavalrymen (the "worst" became janissaries), those cavalrymen being the sipahis. I think there were 12 or 6 regiments of Kapikulu cavalry (the "kapikulu" being the same standing army, that the janissaries belonged to), only one of them, though the largest one, known as sipahis.

EDIT: 1648, not 1670s
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; September 02, 2007 at 05:47 AM.