Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: - Discuss IBFD Here -

Default Re: == IBFD 7.04 Discussion ==

Dear Ramon,

Just to come back on a number of questions:
    - regarding bowmen "eastern vs western", thank you for the "interesting idea" ;-). On the issue of the recruitment, it's really hell to play when Sagitarii disappear from the roster when the Barracks are improved.
    - regarding milites / pseudocomitatenses / comitatenses, please allow me to elaborate a bit on your answer. My understanding of the historical situation is the following: there were 4 "level" of units, translated as milites / pseudocomitatenses / comitatenses / Palatine units. The two lower levels (milites / pseudocomitatenses) were attached to regional armies that mostly did not move from the region of origin (they were transformed more and more into "citizen in arms" rather than professional soldiers), whilst the comitatenses / Palatine units formed the backbone of the field, central armies, that were used throughout the Empire. My view is thus that the units that (as per this historical scheme) should be "region-specific" are the milites / pseudocomitatenses, whilst those that should be common to the whole Empire are the comitatenses / Palatine units. With the current recruitment system in fact, what can be recruited / used and even more importantly retrained / refilled throughout the Empire are the milites (same everywhere) and the Palatine units (when they are available in a city as per the last level of Barracks, which is far from being the case everywhere). Should not it be better to keep auxilies / milites same everywhere (anyway, their military value is debattable when fighting against real enemy armies), develop different regional pseudocomitatenses units and just one type of comitatenses and Palatine units for all the Empire? This would, IMHO, reflect most appropriately the historical reality. The current situation is that types of pseudo-comitatenses / comitatenses are different between different cities, but without seemingly any logic: if I refer to my ERE campaign, inside my cities, and speaking only about comitatenses units (those that can be recruited strating only at Comitenses Barracks level, ie Legio Lanciarii, Legio Plumbatarii and ), here is the current split:
    (ERE Europe)
    - Athens: Legio Vexillatio
    - Constantinople: Legio Lanciarii
    - Corynth: Legio Vexillatio
    - Dirrahius: Legio Comitatenses
    - Hadrianapolis: Legio Lanciarii & Legio Comitatenses (?)
    - Kydonia: Legio Vexillatio
    - Larisa: Legio Lanciarii & Legio Comitatenses (?)
    - Marcianopolis: Legio Lanciarii & Legio Comitatenses (?)
    - Nicopolis: Legio Comitatenses
    - Singidum: Legio Comitatenses
    - Tessalonica: Legio Lanciarii & Lagio Comitatenses (?)
    - Upiana: Legio Comitatenses
    (Asia minor)
    - Amida: Legio Palatina
    - Ancyra: Legio Comitatenses
    - Caeserea Mazaca: Legio Comitatenses
    - Constantia: Legio Comitatenses
    - Ephesus: Legio Comitatenses
    - Nicomedia: Legio Comitatenses
    - Pergemum: Legio Comitatenses
    - Pityus: Legio Palatina
    - Rhodes: Legio Vexillatio
    - Sinope: Legio Comitatenses
    - Tarsus: Legio Comitatenses
    (Middle East)
    - Alexandria: Legio Vexillatio
    - Antiochia: Legio Palatina
    - Baranis: Legio Vexillatio
    - Callinicum: Legio Palatina
    - Cyrene: Legio Vexillatio
    - Damascus: Legio Palatina
    - Edessa: Legio Palatina
    - Hierosolyma: Legio Palatina
    - Memphis: Legio Vexillatio
    - Neapolis: Legio Palatina
    - Palmyra: none (?)
    - Philadelphae: none (?)
    - Sidon: Legio Palatina
    - Thebes: Legio Vexillatio
    Maybe a solution in between would be to allow generic "Legio Comitatenses" for all Comitenses Barracks, with in addition a specific (different image) equivalent stats "Legio Palatina, Vexillatio, Plumbatarii (none in the current ERE regions) and Lanciarii"?
    This would allow both the different images (if chosen by the player) and the basic comitatenses units everywhere?
    For the Palatine units, I wonder whether it would not make sense to create a specific building that would allow (one only for the major city of each region) the construction maybe of both Basilicas and Palatina Barracks, building that would represent the regional center of power and only then allowing Scholae Palatinae, Auxilia Palatinae and Legio Palatinae?

Very long again, sorry! Just eager to participate in improving your already great mod.

Yours again very sincerely,

Jean

Dear Ramon, dear Mylae,

Just a few words to clarify what I meant regarding the specific building which would allow the recruitment of Palatine units: when I said a major city per region, I meant for example one and only one for Africa (Carthago?), one for Middle East (Alexandria or Hierosolyma?), one for Asia minor (?), as well as Constantinople, etc., meaning something like 1 every 10 to 20 cities on the map. Exactly as is apparently currently done for Epic Stone Walls.

This building would be extremely expensive (eg 25k or even 50k) and maybe give some other Administration / Law / Commercial bonuses for the region. It would allow maybe directly the recruitment of Scholae Palatinae, as well as be a requirement for specific extraordinary buildings like Epic Stone Walls, Christian Basilicas and Palatinae Barracks.

This would avoid the over-development of certain cities, and keep Palatine units numbers to normal.

Yours,

Jean

here's my 2 cents about the Legio palatina & Auxila palatina units (not sure how history acurate they are , but I'll give it a shot )

#1 those units are highlly skilled & equiped units & should only be recruitable in cityes with the best training & armory facilities
    #2 they should be asociated with the person of the emperor - they are his palace guards ... so it would be reasonable to have them recruitable only in the city from were the emperor has his residence & palace - his capital city
    #3 as this units are formed up mostlly from romans I thinck it would be a must to limmit the recruitment to only the romanised regions of the era ... - so that ,a resourcefull general could not change his capital to a huge conquered sasanid city in order to get his palace guards retrained

I have yet to play this version but it was irritating to attack large walled cities with the appropriate siege equipment and find myself against stone walls and hence with some useless equipment. Moreover, great stone walls with fine drum towers are characteristic of the era - wall with some tall drum towers was how cities were depicted on coins and medallions of the time - and large inappropriate for the original RTW. Even relatively small towns girded their walls with these towers, though often for visual effect as the towers might only be placed near public approaches for the effect they created. Now I believe that the siege engine problem was fixed, but removing those larger stone walls is wrong. I hope the officer error on the more advanced Roman units is fixed. I found it annoying having to do it myself.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Kay View Post
    here's my 2 cents about the Legio palatina & Auxila palatina units (not sure how history acurate they are , but I'll give it a shot )
    #2 they should be asociated with the person of the emperor - they are his palace guards ... so it would be reasonable to have them recruitable only in the city from were the emperor has his residence & palace - his capital city...
    No, this kind of unit was found as palast guard, maybe under the rule of Diocletian. But acc. Gibbon is was maybe a little bit earlier. Thats for the background so far.
    But in the time frame of our mod +/-410 these units were used in the mobile field army. Of course these Palatinae units were used as emperors guard, no doubt. But the official guarding was provided more and more by mounted troops.
    The Palatinae Auxilia should be recruitable in nealry all big cities (as it is now!) because this unit was used in the Legions of the regular field army for fighting in the first line of battle and for special operations.
    So the recruiting-system of the Palatinae Units is very good as it is now.

Dear Pompeius,

Are you currently playing as the WRE? Because if you were playing the ERE, you would have noticed that these Palatinae Auxilia units are recruitable almost nowhere currently. And not in big cities.

Yours,

Jean

Default Re: == IBFD 7.05 Discussion ==

Dear Jean,
    that what you discribe is totally another problem. Of course I play WRE. And of course you are absolutely right: The Auxilia Palatinae units should be recruitable in all big cities. If this is not the case now the mod-officials should change that. I agree with you.

But Jimmy Kai said that the Palatinae Units (including auxilia!!) should be recruitable in
    "recruitable only in the city from were the emperor has his residence & palace - his capital city "

And if that happens in my mod IBFD i will immediately learn how to mod a game only to put it in the original condition.

Again:
    You are right that a Auxilia Palatinae should be recruitable in all bigger or medium cities. If these cities have a special infrastructure of course.

But in our time frame 410!!! the Comitatenses Palatinae is not the private palast guard of the emperor in Ravenna or Milano. Single units of them were used of course to secure the emperors area. No doubt. But thousands of em?

I want remember that Galla Placidia came back from Constantinople to Ravenna to bring her son to the throne. Her private guard (and the guard of her son!) on the march to Ravenna was a bucelarii guard! A para-military unit established in the east of the empire. The military advisor who went with the royal family was Felix. But this information is not 100% sure. Later I can give the name of the bucelarii unit, now I don't remember. But thats not the question now.
    The interesting point is that there were no Palatinae Units which were made or recruited only for Valentinian III.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; September 16, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Double Post:
    I saw 1 minute ago that 7.05 is out.

So if I can give a suggestions for the future is is following:
    More Limitanei units with different skins. So that these units looking different from Gaul to Illyria for example. This units also should looking a little bit more "dirty" and localized to the province where they coming from.

Like I said: This suggestion is really not so important, but realistic so far.

By the way from tomorrow till to the end of the week I am in Trier (Aug Trevo.) to visist the Constantinus expo. I will include some photos when I come back.

7.05? What? Where?

Ahh.. it's in the download topic.

Is 7.05 save game compatible? I can't seem to locate that info...
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Seleukos Megas's Avatar Foederatus

Ramon, can i install 7.05 over 7.04 or i need clean install 7.0?

I just ran 7.05 installer on my current ibfd (7.04) and get lots of crashes -- i haven't even got into the game yet. One message I got was from a missing alaman diplomat model.

I'm going to try a fresh install.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

yes, same here - ran a custom battle first - fine - but then tried to load a campaign and went straight to CTD - alamman diplomat missing . . . One a side note: nice to see loading screenshots of Aetius and Bonifacius! Thanks!

Yeah, re-installed 7.05 and now I can't even get into the game at all. Help!

I was about to download 7.05 but thank God I read your post before. I'll better wait.

zoiks! Good lord.

Well, I imagine we'll get a fix right-pronto.

I imagine there was some file version joining that broke the build.

Has there been an official announcement of 7.05? Maybe we're all jumping the gun here.

But I need my fix! Honestly, I can quit anytime but just ONE MORE GAME, MAN!

Seleukos Megas's Avatar Foederatus

The missing file is here:

Rome - Total War\ibfd\data\models_strat\textures\
    RGyG_strat_german_diplomat_alemann.tgai.dds

i'm rename him into RGyG_strat_german_diplomat_alemanni.tga.dds

and start campaign

Aha! My kingdom for a typo.

At least it simply crashes now, without any sort of missing file message

----

update: Finally got it running... It seems that it may not be savegame compatable. There's quite a few interesting tweaks. I won't divulge too much, but the new watercraft look great!
    Last edited by Beetlecat; September 17, 2007 at 01:01 AM.

Dear Pompeius,

Just to say I think we perfectly agree! Principle is right, it is just the application of it that is erring... which is a risk when the IBFD team is modding everything so that we play the greatest mod! Thank you agin to the team.

Ramon, Mylae, you didn't react on my last long post ;-) Sorry to insist, just to check what you think about milites/pseudo-/comitatenses/palatinae. Again, "in principle", my understanding is that milites shall be (impossible to mod I believe) city-specific, pseudo- shall be region specific, comitatenses and palatinae shall not be region-specific. What is your opinion on this? For me, it should drive the fact that pseudo- (but I don't know, in IBFD, which units are pseudo-comitatenses) are different throughout the empire and beyond, whilst Comitatenses Barracks (and Palatinae Barracks, where available) produce the same Comitatenses/Palatinae units.

Of course, Only one type of Comitatenses may be less good-looking, but for me the most important thing is the historical view. And on this matter, IBFD is great, as for the rest!

Yours,

Jean