Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kshatriya warriors - Unit preview

Default Re: Kshatriya warriors - Unit preview

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix_120 View Post
    I hate the way those swords look, but thats the actual design of the sword that I hate not your excellent artwork.

I think those swords look like they are designed to be looked at, not used in combat because that square bent shape it has could not have been that effective compared to their European and Middle-Eastern counter parts.

I do love those shields though, their nice and flashy and could not have been easy to make, Kudos to you Alpha Delta.

I give this unit a four out of five.
    I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion regarding the sword's effectiveness. These are front-weighted swords; that is the diamond shaped wider tip with a narrower shape of the rest of the blade. This would give the user a stronger slice, especially on a downward chop, acting more like an axe against armor, as well as against a thinner sword used to try and parry the attack. Thus, they would at least hold their own against other sword-types, and would be more effective against armor.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CelticPagan View Post
    I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion regarding the sword's effectiveness. These are front-weighted swords; that is the diamond shaped wider tip with a narrower shape of the rest of the blade. This would give the user a stronger slice, especially on a downward chop, acting more like an axe against armor, as well as against a thinner sword used to try and parry the attack. Thus, they would at least hold their own against other sword-types, and would be more effective against armor.
    I see your points, but I still personally prefer a Falchin or Scimitar for weighted blades, I believe they are designed better and were more effective.

This blade looks like it would be very easy to parry, weight or no weight, and I do not go for the "thicker blade chopping through a thinner one" thats what I call Hollywood.

The main reason I don't think this weapon would be all that effective is because it would be very easy to predict ones movements, with a blade such as this you Must step in to swing.

http://www.answers.com/topic/europea...cat=technology

I would also prefer the European arming sword, which had a balanced blade so that one could chop with a huge amount of force and still thrust effectively.

It is also a very unpredictable weapon, as one could thrust, chop or slash equally with the weapon.

But this is off topic.

The unit does look great and I look forward to seeing more.

Indefinitely Banned

I suggest you read and research on the Indian "Khanda" (which is what these swords are).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanda_%28sword%29

The designed was improved by Prithiviraj Chauhan. He added back spine on the blade to add more strength. He also got the blade wider and flatter making it a formidable cutting - slashing weapon. The new designed was proved very effective against leather in-laid chain mill Armours of Muslim invaders. It also gave a good advantage to infantry over light cavalry of Muslim and other enemy armies.
    Pritviraj Chauhan, was a rajput king that exists in beginning of the mod's timeframe.
    Last edited by Miraj; October 23, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

I give this unit a four out of five.
    Thanks! I give your posts 5 out of 5 (for pointlessness).
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

My favorite?

Keris

Sorry for big pics.

Indefinitely Banned

Ouch.. That weapon looks like it was made for pain.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Ouch.. That weapon looks like it was made for pain.
    Surprisingly, blades of this type, like the Kris and the Flamberge, were not, according to researchers, any more effective at causing wounds (though at the time they were in use, it was thought they were). However, they ARE very effective at parrying, as they cause the opponent's blade to slide down their blade in a wave-like motion, putting stress on the arm of the opponent. In addition, they also have a greater edge surface area (meaning they act like they are longer than they really are) when parrying.

If such a sword is introduced, I'd say the users should get a boost to defense for it's parry ability, as well as a "fear inducing" bonus, as they were thought to give more horrific wounds. However, since they really don't, they shouldn't gain any added attack bonus.

But since this is Ahiga's call (usually) I'll leave it up to him, Ad and yourself Mirage
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989

Indefinitely Banned

But since this is Ahiga's call (usually) I'll leave it up to him, Ad and yourself Mirage
    Actually it's usually AD's call, since... you know.. he makes the units and all.

Actually it's usually AD's call, since... you know.. he makes the units and all.
    Ahh, umm, well, er...yes. Isn't that what I said?

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Thanks! I give your posts 5 out of 5 (for pointlessness).

Pointlessness is madness, which I am indeed, so thank you.

I recomend you guys get used to crtittics...
    You think were bad now? wait until you release your mod, then you will be rolling on the floor at night saying to your woman "What did I do to deserve this?"

I WILL play your mod and then post my thoughts about it, where other people can read it, and I will Praise all your good work and Damn you for your bad work(so do more good work than bad please), becuase I like to play mods, I love and study history fanaticly, and I am quite interested in your work because I was never really into the eastern history until I first read about your mod.

And by the way four out of five is pretty damn good.

So, Will this unit upgrade weapons from the Khanda to the Tulwar?

Indefinitely Banned

You're free to critique as much as you'd like anytime you want. The fantastic thing about the BC team is we won't give a crap either way!

If you haven't figured it out already the BC team don't take crap from nobody. We're doing this for fun and for creativity - not to listen to random passerby's euro-centric 'critiques'. So when you do bring the critiques home you can be assured you are completely wasting your time.
    Last edited by Miraj; October 24, 2007 at 03:42 PM.

**Retired**

Once the mod is released, the BC team will change identity and continue to operate underground.
    I am sorry, but this is the only way to protect our fragile characters against harsh criticism.
    I am already working on the new names to carefully hide our current identity. For instance “mirage42”, “ahiga” (with small a), “AD formally known as AD”,….

Bernem's Avatar Senator

what about Strélac

Surprisingly, blades of this type, like the Kris and the Flamberge, were not, according to researchers, any more effective at causing wounds (though at the time they were in use, it was thought they were). However, they ARE very effective at parrying, as they cause the opponent's blade to slide down their blade in a wave-like motion, putting stress on the arm of the opponent. In addition, they also have a greater edge surface area (meaning they act like they are longer than they really are) when parrying.
    I"m not sure about the Flamberge but what I know of the kris is that it is basically an over-sized dagger/short sword that is really meant to be a piercing/stabbing weapon rather than a cutting/slashing weapon. Its design is quite obvious to its intent, imho. In fact, it is the first time I've heard of it as a parrying weapon.

Raise High the Black Banners of the True Caliphate!
    -The Abbasid Caliphate of Broken Crescent Mod for MTW II. RELEASED!

I recomend you guys get used to crtittics...
    That's fine, just get used to being told where to shove it.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Indeed excellent new units Now that the mod is still being improved and new units/factions are implemented,have you guys considered to extend the map a bit to the east and add the Chinese Empire as a new faction..

Surely this would take some extra work in the map and maybe a full new Chinese roster would be too much work for Alpha..But it would be great,definetely worth the effort and the atmosphere of East in BC would be much enrichened...

EDIT:

And as for criticism some posters claim,where exactly is to criticize BC..? All the magnificent work should automatically nullify some minor flaws..
    Last edited by Zephrelial; October 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Indefinitely Banned

Which chinese empire?

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Which chinese empire?

I believe your mod starts at 1170 so I gotta check which dynasty ruled at that time.. I'm not sure for now.Have you ever considered featuring them sofar btw? And what do you think of the idea Mirage?

EDIT:

Jın dynasty (1115-1234) however they ruled the east part of China where Song dynasty ruled the south..

However there is the complication of Yuan dynasty which was established by Kublai Khan the son of Genghis.. Completely forgot about that..The good thing is that Kublai turned out to be pretty chinese,than mongolian..

Still if those can be carefully considered I believe the faction can be featured,of course if you guys wish it to do so...And it's completely your call.
    Last edited by Zephrelial; October 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

It's not possible geographically or in terms of manpower or capabilities. The intense difference of Chinese culture with any of our current ones would be like creating a brand new mod, needing new voices, portaits, buildings, among other things.

I really enjoy the Ancient and Medieval Chinese and consider them the most interesting of East Asian militaries (The samurai are really over-played, though I do like the Sohei Monks), but it's simply just an alltogether new ballpark to attempt. I hope the Chinese Mods in development do well, or that perhaps aspiring individuals will attempt a "Broken Crescent" of Asia, with Korea, Japan, China, Mongolia, Tibet, and maybe Central Asia and India.
    Last edited by Ahiga; October 25, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrelial View Post
    And what do you think of the idea Mirage?
    I would agree with it if we renamed the mod "Broken Ying Yang". But I like "Broken Crescent" a lot.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast