Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum's New Parthians!

Nicator's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum's New Parthians!

Crushing the hopes of the innocent is way too much fun, I just couldn't resist.

Deeply lost in the night. Just as one sometimes lowers one’s head to reflect, thus to be utterly lost in the night. All around people are asleep. Its just play-acting, an innocent self- deception, that they sleep in houses, in safe beds, under a safe roof, stretched out or curled up on mattresses, in sheets, under blankets; in reality they have flocked together as they had once upon a time and again later in a deserted region, a camp in the open, a countless number of men, an army, a people, under a cold sky on cold earth, collapsed where once they had stood, forehead pressed on the arm, face to the ground, breathing quietly. And you are watching, are one of the watchmen, you find the next one by brandishing a burning stick from the brushwood pile beside you. Why are you watching? Someone must watch, it is said. Someone must be there.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Some screenshots of updated Parthian skins / models from the beta:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Epicness in overblown proportion. However how will they fare in action? If they go round with the same calibre as cataphracts from the original RS, then they pretty much overweighted light cav with glorified harnesses to me.

Please use spoilers when your quoting large images. Thanks /apple.
    Last edited by apple; July 13, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by frontier-auxilia View Post
    Epicness in overblown proportion. However how will they fare in action? If they go round with the same calibre as cataphracts from the original RS, then they pretty much overweighted light cav with glorified harnesses to me.
    Rest assured, tone is working on unit stats and we're getting some great results so far.

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The horse culture factions of RS2 have probably received as much or MORE attention than any other factions in RS2. RTW was built to be a 'heavy infantry' game.....so horse cultures like the Sarmatians, Scythians and Parthia tended to fair poorly in many mods...including RS1.5. But with the help of people like Aradan, Faridus and Tone they are now far more formidiable. Actually, for the first time in my experience EVER, I have seen Parthia actually expand and do well against the Seleucids. And people who have tested them are quite pleased.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Gez's Avatar Tiro

Indeed...I'm a heavy infantry kinda guy, but god Parthia is fun!

Btw frontier-auxilia, the Cataphracts are pretty balanced as it is. Nothing like light cav at all lol...
    -RS2 Trait & Ancilliary Dev/Beta Tester-

it will be alot of fun to play with
    cant wait for this mod to be released
    Great job guys cant thank u enough for ur hard work for RS1.5 and RS II

@ Gez: i just find eastern cavalry backed by turban sabres to do a better job as skirmisher killers then cataphract as they can take out the only thing that can lay the hurt on my purple horse archers of doom when they shoot up the enemy armies. Not only are they easier to manevour out the way when clumbersome legionnaries wanted to ripped them limp from limp, it also more bearable to see them suffer casulties when exposed to enemy fire. As an infantry based game, i find catas fine as it is but i just don't find them effective compliments to my army.

Im not saying that they should butcher an entire legionaire cohort in 1 charge but when compared to what else thats fieldable at a cheaper price, who can pretty much perform the same function and can operate alongside my horse archers without being made into a seperate branch of my army, the catas just don't cut it for me. The cata horse archers on the other hand are made of win.

Otherwise glad to hear that cavalry are being made more efficient unit in the mod . Besides it will be fun to fight or play as another faction who use a different approach to warfare.
    Last edited by frontier-auxilia; July 13, 2009 at 06:23 AM.

So how about that:
    20 cataphract units crushing the Roman Legion in RS1.5

At first, there was a thunderous charge. Then it came to melee combat and multiple repeating charges of single units. And cataphracts did pretty well in melee.
    P.S. Battle was fought on Medium, unit size: Huge.
    P.S. 2: The composition of Legion: 1x general, 1x 1st cohort, 9x cohort, 4x auxilia, 2x archers, 3x cavalry.
    I'm sittin' here completely surrounded by no beer.

For RS2, the balance I'm working on is for an army of say:

1 general
    4 cataphracts
    2 dahae nobles
    2 parthian nobles
    1 persian nobles
    6 dahae horse archers
    2 eastern spearmen
    2 skirmishers or hirkanian horsemen

or something like that to give a Roman legion a very good run for its money. As Romans defending against that army you're really hard pressed to win.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Patrician

Another thing you'll find in RS2 is that the cost of units is very carefully tailored by Tone to encourage the AI to recruit well, and put together good balanced armies. What this will mean as the player is that you'll have to show some 'restraint'. The cost of units is based on what the AI likes, not necessarily what would make it harder for the player. A lot of mods put costs on units that are very high to keep the PLAYER from spamming them. The problem with this is that the AI then decides that unit isn't worth it....so you rarely see them. So a Cataphract unit isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg to recruit...and play with fear, because the AI likes them too.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

^Yep

It all comes down to player choice and discipline. Sure, as Parthia in RS2 you can probably afford to have 20 cataphract units per stack. But just stop and think, is this a)fun or b)realistic? The answer to both is probably NO.

R.I.P Calvin

Phunkracy's Avatar Senator

Are Parthian G's Bg slightly better than 'normal' cathaphracts? Also, is there a 'sauce' for their awesome helmets?

Oh, and an video preview please
    Last edited by Phunkracy; July 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    ^Yep

It all comes down to player choice and discipline. Sure, as Parthia in RS2 you can probably afford to have 20 cataphract units per stack. But just stop and think, is this a)fun or b)realistic? The answer to both is probably NO.
    Sure, the answer is "no". The army I have just shown you was made for fun, to check if it would be able to defeat a roman legion, and it was. Usually I recruit more various armies, so there is no problem with realism. And from what I can see, there will be far more developed unit roster in RS2.

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by stanley86 View Post
    Sure, the answer is "no". The army I have just shown you was made for fun, to check if it would be able to defeat a roman legion, and it was. Usually I recruit more various armies, so there is no problem with realism. And from what I can see, there will be far more developed unit roster in RS2.
    Sure I wasn't criticising your post just making a general comment about the balance.

R.I.P Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkracy View Post
    Are Parthian G's Bg slightly better than 'normal' cathaphracts? Also, is there a 'sauce' for their awesome helmets?

Oh, and an video preview please
    Parthian bodyguards will be better than the normal cataphracts although they'll be smaller in numbers.

The source for their armour, helmets, etc, is this bit of graffiti from Dura Europos

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Wow, well done with the bodyguards Nice to see the sources.

wait, I just noticed this, there's no camel unit...

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

i cant wait to play these badasses in a campaign

Quote Originally Posted by stanley86 View Post
    So how about that:
    20 cataphract units crushing the Roman Legion in RS1.5

At first, there was a thunderous charge. Then it came to melee combat and multiple repeating charges of single units. And cataphracts did pretty well in melee.
    P.S. Battle was fought on Medium, unit size: Huge.
    P.S. 2: The composition of Legion: 1x general, 1x 1st cohort, 9x cohort, 4x auxilia, 2x archers, 3x cavalry.
    Let just say you iz a better general then i am .

Just out of curiousity Tone, if you guys base the generals on a the dura europos graffiti, what primary sources were the dahae noble based on?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    wait, I just noticed this, there's no camel unit...
    Our investigations determined that NO nation during the RS time period used camels 'in battle'. There is evidence that the Parthians used them as pack animals to carry loads of arrows to a battle scene, but not to actually do any fighting.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father