Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum's New Parthians!

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum's New Parthians

the only thing i dislike are the names of some of the units. too vanillay for me.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

very cool! keep it up guys!

Do not hate a weak child, it may be the son of a tiger.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

wooow this the best Parthians I ever seeee. Really Great Work

the only thing i dislike are the names of some of the units. too vanillay for me
    If you've got any alternatives, we're always open to good ideas. But we already decided against Parthian Onager Elephants. Only Armenia gets those, or Drtad will throw a fit!

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Looks awsome!

It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Indeed fine work here. Powerful horsemen, This is a Cataphract Heaven

Brilliant!

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Marku View Post
    the only thing i dislike are the names of some of the units. too vanillay for me.
    Vanilla is good sometimes . The Eastern names would be for me, you don't get ****. Greek names is way more understandable any easier to identify.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    If you've got any alternatives, we're always open to good ideas. But we already decided against Parthian Onager Elephants. Only Armenia gets those, or Drtad will throw a fit!
    Hehe. In truth Armenians don't take kindly to the mentioning of war elephants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Avarayr
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Miles

Seems to me, that I have to rally some more legions to take parthia in the future. What fun that will be! Those Guys look mean. I like it. I like it very much!

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

wow, freaking great work. I might have to reinstall RTW for this
    Last edited by Last Roman; September 03, 2007 at 02:27 PM.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Last Roman View Post
    wow, freaking great work. I might have to reinstall RTW for this
    Yeah it's time to reinstall, it's just too bad this isn't for BI... which means bugged formation control. But even so I want to see these bad mofos in action!

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Very nice job guys. I especially like the "Parthian Cataphract" and "Parthian generla bodygouard" units which are a little bit better than EB ones and are so inspiring for me to try your mod But "Persian Archers" I think their skirts should not be that long .Cut them
    Quote Originally Posted by Marku
    I'm the 2nd one. Though if you're using latin names for all units in all factions ,then it is admissible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drtad
    In truth Armenians don't take kindly to the mentioning of war elephants...:wink:
    True true ... Neither armenians Nor Parthians used "War elephant". However ,You might want to add another unit instead ,"Camel Cataphract" ! As you know ,According to historical resources Parthians did use them only in their last battle(Before being overthrown by Sassanids) against romans ,So it is not ahistorical to add them to Parthian roster.

Again good work ... CHEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Really impressive units. I would say that this is the most complete Parthian faction roster in the whole community. And the Dahae and Persian units have just stolen my heart. .

A question out of curiosity: is the Persian noble inspired in the one displayed in "Warfare in the Classical World" by John Warry?
    I'm not sure but certainly inspired by the one here (bottom of the page):

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/a...menid_army.php

Now I know that you'll be saying that this is an earlier era, but there is certainly evidence of the Parthians using Greek style helmets etc. just like the Achaemenids
    Last edited by tone; September 05, 2007 at 06:56 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I really liked those units! great job! In fact there are some great mods out there that have granted us great roman models and skins but lack the same care with other factions. RS is doing an excellent job by giving the other "less popular" factions some great units. Im really liking the special attention that is being given to other factions like Parthia for example, speccially considering those are some of the worst units in vanilla rtw. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by paradamed; September 04, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Nice work guys,
    the Cataphract's are my personal fav's but great stuff all round.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I think that this conical helm is a very good interpretation of how Cataphract Parthian Nobles may have appeared. The frustrating thing about ancient history is that it quite often deficient in reliable historical accounts of the time, especially about the exact detail of such things as armour. There are therefore huge gaps in our knowledge, outside of the writings of Greek and Roman scholars, which archaeological finds have so far been unable to fill.

If you look at this reconstruction of a Scythian Ceremonial costume, the size of the cap is immediately apparent and although exaggerated in this case, such conical caps were commonly worn and most likely have had a social significance to denote a higher status.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...or-costume.jpg
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...Golden_Man.jpg

The picture underneath shows a figure of what is thought to represent the Roman God Vulcan but could equally represent a Roman Freeman who also wore caps of a similar appearance to denote their higher status. Dacian nobles too also wore pointed caps to denote rank amongst the tribe. It would therefore be perfectly logical to suppose that helms of Parthian Nobles followed a similar form.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...manfreeman.jpg

Of course there is also probably a more practical reason which lies beneath this cone head appearance which relates status to headgear height. Those with a higher status in society such as nobles usually undertake less work which meant that they could more easily grow their hair to greater lengths than an ordinary peasant worker who would find it a constant struggle to keep long hair in good order. Similar cone shaped headgear was worn by some Assyrian nobles and important persons such as priests and musicians, who piled their long locks rather in the style of a Sixties Bee hive, into head gear to fit.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...p/plate135.jpg

Long hair in battle is especially hazardous not only when it blows into eyes when fighting but also affords an enemy the opportunity of grasping it to deal a swift a fatal blow when it is neatly tied. This is probably the reason why the Romans and most modern armies sensibly require a short back and sides for their soldiers. Despite the profoundly un-aerodynamic shape of a cone shaped helmet for a cavalryman, it would have been preferable to the long haired rider being pulled of his horse from a sharp tug from behind on his Pony tail!
    Last edited by caratacus; September 05, 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Very nice.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

I can't wait to play with them. OMG there awesome.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I really liked those units! great job! In fact there are some great mods out there that have granted us great roman models and skins but lack the same care with other factions. RS is doing an excellent job by giving the other "less popular" factions some great units. Im really liking the special attention that is being given to other factions like Parthia for example, speccially considering those are some of the worst units in vanilla rtw. Keep up the good work.
    just wait for the other factions we have.