Thread: what would you like infantry in the game do ?

Praepositus

Icon10 what would you like infantry in the game do ?

ideas about the feaures all types of infantry want yu to have??

example
    light infanry killing officers

sappers among the infantry yes those guys with the axe

grenadiers to cause fear to enemy infantry.

banners taken gain status the enemy.

new recruited units have to low morale.

etc.

Default Re: what would yu like infantry in the game do ?

Some ideas:
    - Native American warriors use tomahawks before entering melee.
    - Iroquois Warriors scare enemies.
    - line-of-battle units fire in effective (morale-reducing?) salvos until their brigade officer is killed, then they fire individually at reduced accuracy
    - units with musicians (or those in close proximity) can march slightly faster and have higher morale
    - artillery can switch between massive shots (long range, good accuracy, bouncing effect), explosive shots (medium range, medium accuracy) and shrapnel fire (short range, area effect)
    - army banner gives surrounding units a good morale boost, but when taken, means an almost certain retreat/rout.

There's more I'd like, but this is what I'd like most.

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperorsPointyStick View Post
    Some ideas:
    - line-of-battle units fire in effective (morale-reducing?) salvos until their brigade officer is killed, then they fire individually at reduced accuracy
    prety good idea

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Default Re: what would you like infantry in the game do ?

Bayonet being very good in close combat, for both charging, receiving charges and fighting in generally, but only if the unit manages to keep somewhat together. When fighting individually a sword or axe should be more useful.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Artillery should have Solid shot + grapeshot, french artillery should also have explosive shots, british should have shrapnel.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperorsPointyStick View Post
    - units with musicians (or those in close proximity) can march slightly faster and have higher morale
    a good way to break up overall army formation if theres an uneven number of musicians..

I think you should see the infantry relieving themselves hurriedly during the deployment phase of each battle - I'll bet you ten dollars that's what soldiers do just before a battle starts. You don't want sudden terror making you piss your pipeclays in front of your comrades.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge View Post
    I think you should see the infantry relieving themselves hurriedly during the deployment phase of each battle - I'll bet you ten dollars that's what soldiers do just before a battle starts. You don't want sudden terror making you piss your pipeclays in front of your comrades.
    Dont give em any ideas or we'll end up with screeching urine throwers.

There shouldn't be any explosive shells except those fired by Mortars, which were only really used in sieges. Exploding cannon shells was a nineteenth century thing.

Sappers also would not be stationed with their regiments during the battle, they would most likely be towards the rear, helping set up field hospitals, repair bridges, etc...

Given that in the Total War games thus far, you can't target individuals in a unit, I don't see that it's really practical for light infantry to target officers. But, there really shouldn't be very much in the way of light infantry at all. . .

Only the first two or three shots by a unit should be in a volley, since fire by volley would begin breaking down after the first volley, quickly ending up in a "fire at will" situation.

Also, all units should have a command (Colonel/Major and other officers, Musicians and Standard Bearers)

I would like to see grenadiers just be part of an infantry regiment, as this is how they normally fought. For special missions, various regiments' grenadier companies would be placed together in battalions, but this was the exception, not the rule.

Light Infantry being able to perhaps take cover and not just stand and shoot.

I know it went out of fashion, but I want Grenadiers throwing Grenades. Accuracy be damned.

Dragoons Dismount.

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

-I want WAAAY more formations than just loose, tight and a special. I want column for speedy marching, line for firepower, square to repel cavary (or melee infantry) and the attack column for French infantry after the Revolution

-I want units to be able to march and fire, as was used during the period. What I mean by that is: A slow, measured advance with pauses to fire volleys, aiming to break the enemy before contact.

-I want to actually be able to tell my units when to fix bayonets, I don't want them to just always have them.

-I want the ability to fire by ranks. I.E: First ranks fires, drops to a knee to reload, second rank fires and drops, third rank fires and drops, first stands and fires again, and so on and so forth.

-I also want the command my line regiments to have the front rank kneel and the rear rank stand. I don't care why, it just looks cool.
    Last edited by Eric; September 02, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Yeah, here's another one.

British redcoats should advance while flutists and drummers play this song...
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

- a fix bayonets command... makes loading slower but ensures you are ready for hand to hand

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Perhaps targeting officers could be a special ability that could be switched on and off; say, switch on, and they would begin to fire at officers, reducing kill-rates and firing rates but increasing morale damage to the enemy.