Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a republics faction leader & Generals

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

Default a republics faction leader & Generals

What I wonder is, there are 3 government types: Absolute monarch, constitutional monarch and Republic.

Monarchs are offcourse as, the leader becomes a King.... and most likely will participate in battles. But if its an republic, what is the faction leader? What his role in the game, will a "politician" like that be involved in great battles?

Or is it this that makes Generals in ETW more unique and better?

Thoughts on this?
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

Default Re: a republics faction leader & Generals

Which brings on a bigger question, how does the Constituional monach work? You get a King/Queen that offers just a morale boost?

But thats assuming of course ETW is like M2TW. Perhaps faction leaders are no longer accessible; just background in the game.

I would assume a system like electing the pope might be viable for a republic. Only perhaps you won't get a choice, and rather it will be left to an AI 'Senate'.

That might be a neat feature, as you wouldn't get the ability to choose who leads your nation - You could end up with an idiot, but he'll serve for only X amount of years. Or you could get a brilliant leader and only have him be able to serve for X amount of years. I would assume he would merely be a governor/general with some unique responsibilities, but what would be interesting is to have him be an AI-controlled character. One who gives your Generals orders much like the Pope did. It doesn't seem viable for a Leader of a Republic to lead battles - I imagine there are exceptions, but it would seem peculiar.

The constitutional monarchy is a bit more confusing for me. In ignorance I would say it might be an intermediate between the two - your monarchy holds a level of power, but not outright. Nowadays it means the monarchy is more of a status symbol than a power, but I assume in the past it was much less clear-cut. I would have assumed England was a Constitutional Monarchy since the magna Carta, yet the King had much power.

I think leaders of republic should be able to fight too. George Washington led soldiers to suppress the wisky rebellion. Simon Bolivar also led a republic and commanded soldiers.

Constitutional monarchs might provide a morale boost while the prime minister would do the ruling.

i'd quite like to see republics and con monarchies have their governments pressurising them to do certain things. Also i think it should be possible to change your system but that it would almost certainly invoke a very angry reaction if going more absolute (repub-con mon, con mon-ab mon) and that revolutions should be possible, like the rebel factions in RTW BI but with polittical alignment, who, if appeased could form the new leaders (eg: if you are an absolute monarch and a republican rebellion breaks out, if you become a republice, the rebels become your generals)

Default This would be really cool considering the period.

I think it would be cool to be able to change the type of gov. your country has. Also it would be cool to be able to upgrade you title, for example you could be KING of Great Britain then conquer India and be an EMPEROR. this would actually be kind of historicly accurate ( elector of brandenburg=king of prussia, Tzar of Muscovy=emperor of russia, Napoleon from consul to emperor.... just to name a few

Default Re: This would be really cool considering the period.

Interesting suggestion.
    The best cure for the body is a quiet mind. - Napoleon

edders's Avatar Senator

Your first suggestion already appears to be the case (three forms). I like the second too

i would also like to see real honest to god civil wars, something like in rtw bi with the western roman rebels except for an example, if a city or cities rebel in say france, they would become the republic of france, then there would be two french factions, a kingdom and republic, both with there own leaders and diplomacy. ca woulndt even have to make new units they could both have the same tech and everything, just a different name. again a historicly accurate event for the era

edders's Avatar Senator

"i would also like to see real honest to god civil wars, something like in rtw bi with the western roman rebels except for an example, if a city or cities rebel in say france, they would become the republic of france, then there would be two french factions, a kingdom and republic, both with there own leaders and diplomacy. ca woulndt even have to make new units they could both have the same tech and everything, just a different name."

Been waiting for this since BI

Are you not able to choose between a Monachy, Constitutional monachy and Republic already?

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

"i would also like to see real honest to god civil wars, something like in rtw bi with the western roman rebels except for an example, if a city or cities rebel in say france, they would become the republic of france, then there would be two french factions, a kingdom and republic, both with there own leaders and diplomacy. ca woulndt even have to make new units they could both have the same tech and everything, just a different name.
    But then there would be more than fifty factions! God forbid!

edders's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenElite0 View Post
    Are you not able to choose between a Monachy, Constitutional monachy and Republic already?
    So sayeth the previews

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenElite0 View Post
    Yeh I think pressing the "Change to monarchy" button and then possibly having to wait a few turns is just a bit silly. It should be more deep then that.

For example if you want to change to a monarchy or dictatership then you will need a good reputation with the people and your generals (like Napoleon had).
    To change to a democracy your reputation with the people shouldn't matter although if you have generals whom the people dislike theres a chance they might get the chop (or you might attempt to stop this from happening causing civil war and you losing reputation with the people).

Also I think population and the tax system should be a little bit more complicated then it is atm. For example in RTW/M2TW higher taxes ment less people were born? Or did it? I would assume it was ment to represent that people prefered not to live there. So I think what happened with England/America should be representable.

So for example if your England and you have really high taxes and your a monarchy and meanwhile America is low taxes and a democracy all the democratic people will try and smuggle themselves over to America (ofcourse in this case you might try and get your navy to mop them up ) or you might construct border forts if you believe your people are going to an adjacent Country.

This would add an interesting element to things and give it a more global feel. Rather then monarchy just meaning +5% unhappyness but -5% troop costs and other monarchies like you.

Ofcourse in mods politics could be changed to religion with a similar system. Just been excommunicated? Are 3/4 of your allies Orthodox? Not overly Pieous generals? Try converting to Orthodoxy although you might risk a civil war with those who oppose it.

P.S. CA said you can change your government type. Although I hope it isn't a similar system to Imperial glory or Civilisation.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; September 01, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

I think it would be cool to have moats with draw bridges.... but hey its not gonna happen

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

"There will also be an added focus on managing unrest in the player's empire, and the degree to which the player expands or denies political freedom to the population"

This leads me to believe two things will be included;

1. CIVIL WAR when your native population (ie for Great Britain, the scotts, irish, welsh etc) becomes fed up with their lack of rights or vice versa you grant them too many and they become arrogant enough to think they can overthrow you. Armies will probably spawn and take the immediate settlement, with the ultimate goal of taking the capital.

2. INSURRECTION where natives from your colonies become fed up with colonial rule, an army/armies are spawn, with the ultimate goal of expelling you from their regions (ie. India, Indies, Africa, America etc) but no further (so no building a navy and invading you etc).

I reckon these seem plausible enough scenarios. What do you think?

BTW the info is on wiki
    Know that you shall die like whores and the cries of your writhings shall rise to please their lord, so before the sword, side with me in the slaughter....

Default Faction leaders

my second thread today:

During this period the leadership of armies on the field transfered from the ruling dynasty to a trained officer corp, indeed during this time several nations overthrew there ruling monarchs, and became republics, how will this be reflected with the current system of a ruling family?

Ideas people?
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: Faction leaders

yes i really wonder how the transition from monarchy to republic would work, it would be interesting to see the republic in action... i wonder who can run for president and how the election works.... i also wonder if there will be a differance in game play by your political stance and if there is what the diff?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Elections could work like the Pope does, perhaps excluding you from participating so that if you want a certain individual to be elected, you have to make sure he has the right qualities to be so.

I can imagine the advantage/disadvantage a republic vs a kingdom would have. You can't choose your leaders, and if they are good you can't have them in power indefinitely.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

well in MTW2 you also were allowed to choose the fraction heir, i hope it is not the same in ETW... and as for the politians i wonder how they would be created and would there be a limit to how much you can create, and how would you be able to increase the traits?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast