Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Raven-Feeders - Bug Report

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Raven-Feeders - Bug Report

I have been playing Letau but got blocked by a CTD on 508/509.

I haven't seen a "Coming of Cerdic" event.

Is there a workaround for this problem - would eliminating the Saxons do the trick?

Or would removing event historic cerdic_and_cynric from bi\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion/descr_events help?
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

I'm having the same problem with Dal Riada..509 for me. I deleted the event but it still fails. I would guess I have to start a new gam efor it to have an effect ?

I removed the event "Coming of Cerdic" and ran it with -ai all the way to 515 without a crash,so maybe that is the answer.Note that the script wasn't running : I don't know how (IF ?) it can be run in ai mode....

I also see this in the script

";CHANGE TO 508 AD FOR FINAL VERSION (TURNEND = 107)
    monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    and I_TurnNumber = 107

;GIVE TWO SETTLEMENTS TO SEAXE
    and if I_SettlementOwner Andrede = saxons"

Should there really be an "if" there ?

Cheers
    Last edited by Nicodemus; December 01, 2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more info

Has anyone suceeded in playing past 509 ?

I thought I'd cracked it with removing the cerdic event, but am not positive.

Unfortunately, I had to reload the mod and forgot to remove the cerdic event again,so in the midst of a great Gwent campaign I have a terminal error

This is a fantastic mod, but I really want to play to victory one of these days !

@ Nicodemus

I've found that if the Saxons are eliminated before 508, then I haven't had a crash. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Removing the Cerdic event doesn't help

508, Ebruac, 25 regions, Cerdic and Saxons still there and a CTD.....

Real shame...

Just to respond to this, ATW has been very quiet in terms of development because several of our members (particularly those most familiar with the coding/scripting system) have become inactive, but we that remain are still doing what we can to work on this as well as to implement some of the new features that were planned, such as the installer/mod version.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

It is great to hear that there is still someone there.

ATW is a fine mod and I am very grateful for all the work that has been done. It has a distinct feel all of its own, different to that of any other mod I have played.

Anything more would just be a bonus (although I do hope someone figures out a workaround for 508).
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

@Antagonist...Reallly pleased to hear that the original developers are still working with this mod. It truly is original and exceptional, marred by this issue of the CTD.

I recently downloaded Iberian Total War and did enjoy it,but the battles are nothing compared to ATW ! In ATW you have such a variety of units, with special functions, and with the experience change and the exceptional unit balancing, battles really do last...

ITW I just attacked & bingo ! the enemy collapsed, time after time.

In ATW,this just doesn't happen, you have a real challenge on your hands.

To be honest, what I am going to try to do it restore the original ATW ( 0.62b ?) and then put in the extra files from Raven Feeders ( starting with units ) and see if I can get past that abominable date ! [ PS any adviceon file srequired/changed ? ]

I really don't think it has to do with Cerdic & Cynric, as they arrive Ok and then start their pillaging,and besides, it happens without the script !

This is surely one of the few times you really need a CA developer around to debug ...

Here's to a solution in 2008 !

Prost

Well, I take back what I said..sort of

The issue is with Cerdic's army or rather one or more of the units in it.

If Cerdic & Cynric don't turn up, there is no issue and hence no CTD.

I initially thought it might be the unit size, as the create_unit command allows a specific number of soldiers to be created.

For example, Cynric has units of Gebures created with 200 soldiers each. I play on large not huge settings ( video limitations ) so the appropriate size should be 100 : perhaps that's part of the issue. ( Seeing these army sizes and experienced troops no wonder the Saxons are so tough to beat ! )

However, as Ebruac I provoked a battle with both Cyrnic and Cerdic and opted for the battlefield on both.

No issue with Cyrnic - except I understandably lost - but Cerdic CTDs when the battle is launched : hence, the army,or one of those units in it, has caused it.

I then played a few custom battles using the units that Cerdic has, but Cynric doesn't. Sadly,no issue

So the last thing is the army itself,and here the only thing I see is that Cerdic is created with 22 units. In the previous ATW script he only had 21.

Action : remove one of the units and replay the battle.

Result : no CTD.

After all this what can you do ?

Well, having removed a unit ( one gesithas, the weakest of the units ) I have played on for a few turns,and engaged Cerdic on the battlefield with no CTDs. I'm not going to say its solved, but it seems OK so far.

Here's what you need to do:

DISCLAIMER: This is at your own risk and not sanctioned by the ATW team This is straightforward for anyone with the ability to use Windows Explorer and cut and paste. If you don't know what you are doing,ask someone else ( and not me ! ) before you do it ! I can't guarantee anything.

0) Use a text editor ( ie Notepad or Wordpad )
    1) go to (installation path)\Rome - Total War\bi\data\scripts\show_me
    2) Open ATW_Campaign.txt
    3) Search for "CERDIC and CYNRIC"
    4) Select all the text from CERDIC and CYNRIC to console_command give_trait Cynric Pagan ( as below )
    5) Replace with the text in bold below
    5a) [ OPTIONAL ] If you want to remove the text "soldiers nn " you can, and it will reduce the unit size appropriate to your unit setting,and hence the strength of the Saxon threat ! up to you... [don't forget the space ]
    6) Save, then play.
    7) Report back on what happens !

Note 1. You need to do this on a save game PRIOR to the arrival of Cerdic, but you have this,since you save frequently, don't you...
    Note 2. This also includes a change to the Cerdic arrival conditions. Previously, if the Saxons didn't own Anderida, then Cerdic didn't show up. I changed it so that as long as the Saxon own 1 settlement or more ,Cerdic is there. After all, it takes months to sail from Saxonia/Freisland,so how would he know if his landing-place is occupied ?! ( PS Read Alfred Duggan ' Conscience of the King' for a great take on the the capture of Anderida and founding of Wessex, seen through the eyes of a 'barbarian' Saxon ! Excellent reading !!)
    Note 3. This is straightforward for anyone with the ability to use Windows Explorer and cut and paste. If you don't know what you are doing,ask someone else ( and not me ! ) before you do it ! I can't guarantee anything. I will try to put a complete changed ATW_Campaign file somewhere, but I'm not sure when I can do it.
    Note 4. Tried with two campaigns and worked with both...

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;START: CERDIC and CYNRIC ARRIVE
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;CHANGE TO 508 AD FOR FINAL VERSION (TURNEND = 107)
    monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    and I_TurnNumber = 107
    ;and if I_SettlementOwner Andrede = saxons ( Original )
    ;and I_SettlementOwner Andrede = saxons ( should be )
    ;Changed to this in case Andrede is not owned by Saxons
    and I_NumberOfSettlements saxons > 0
    ;GIVE TWO SETTLEMENTS TO SEAXE

;CREATE CERDIC'S ARMY - age 30, x 183, y 59

spawn_army
    faction saxons
    character Cerdic, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, x 183, y 59
    unit gesithas, soldiers 40 exp 9 armour 3 weapon_lvl 3
    unit wulfbyrnies, soldiers 24 exp 9 armour 3 weapon_lvl 3
    unit hraefnhelmen, soldiers 28 exp 8 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit billweras, soldiers 30 exp 8 armour 2 weapon_lvl 2
    unit duguthas, soldiers 100 exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit scipflotan, soldiers 100 exp 8 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit scipflotan, soldiers 100 exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit gesithas, soldiers 30 exp 5 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit frisian atheling, soldiers 60 exp 8 armour 2 weapon_lvl 2
    unit frisian atheling, soldiers 60 exp 8 armour 2 weapon_lvl 2
    unit wudewasa, soldiers 50 exp 5 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit hirth, soldiers 100 exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end

;BEEF UP CERDIC
    console_command give_trait Cerdic Pagan
    console_command give_trait Cerdic GoodCommander 3
    console_command give_trait Cerdic Drink
    console_command give_trait Cerdic Brave 2

;CREATE CYNRIC'S ARMY - age 16, x 156, y 66

spawn_army
    faction saxons
    character Cynric, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 16, x 178, y 59
    unit gesithas, soldiers 40 exp 7 armour 1 weapon_lvl 2
    unit uthere, soldiers 80 exp 5 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit uthere, soldiers 80 exp 5 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit scipflotan, soldiers 60 exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit gebures, soldiers 200 exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end

;MAKE CYNRIC PAGAN
    console_command give_trait Cynric Pagan
    Last edited by Nicodemus; January 06, 2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Multiple Campaigns

..and there's more...

I also noticed that the current ATW script no longer includes Ida when the Bernician Foederati rebel...

Naturally ,since this occurs in 547 AD, I've never reached it, but you may have an error there as the script tries to give traits to a character, Ida, who may not exist ?!

So just add this line ( as underlined )..

character Ida, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, x 147, y 145

..where you find the following text in ATW_Campaign.txt

;GIVE SETTLEMENT TO ENGLE

;CREATE IDA'S ARMY - age 27, x 147, y 145

spawn_army
    faction alemanni

character Ida, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, x 147, y 145
    unit gesithas, soldiers 40 exp 9 armour 3 weapon_lvl 3

Again, this is easy to do for a mildly competent cut'n' paster,but if you don't know how, don't do it,or ask someone ( ..else,not me ) how to ...

By the way,you may also want to replace

and if I_SettlementOwner Venta_Icenorum = alemanni

with

and I_NumberOfSettlements alemanni > 0

so the rebellion happens as long as the Angles are still around, even if they don't own Venta !

Also, not sanctioned by the ATW team....

..and these are seriously tough guys. I wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley ( or open battlefield for that matter

If I ever reach 547 AD, I'll let you know if it works !

Cheers
    Last edited by Nicodemus; January 06, 2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Grammer

@Nicodemus

Your suggested changes are spot-on. I have been able to revive my Letau campaign which stalled back in October.

I hadn't even noticed the Cerdic event. (After all, what do I care about Saxons when I've got my hands full with the Franks?)

What confused me was that the CTD could be put off for a couple of turns by eliminating some of the factions - getting me to mid-509.

Now I understand that Cerdic's army already exists from 508, so even eliminating the Saxons still leaves it as a Rebel army. I presume that the CTD occurs the first time Cerdic's army has a battle - even though it is an auto-resolve battle between AI factions!
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Very good find
    Thanks a lot Nicomedus. BTW, maybe you want to give some help to the ATW team (currently Antagonist and me - well, Im stuck with exams untill next week!) to do some testing and implementing various stuff for the final release?

Finally,I managed to fully complete a win in this mod ! As Ebruac I took the 40th settlement in Summer 515.

I'm sure there are still a few issues with it... ( I can't build Campwyr until I have a huge City and the biggest barracks,for example. Something that's most unlikely to happen given the population factors. How many 12,000+ cities has anyone built ! ) ...but really its the variety of units, the map-scale, the number of factions etc that really combine to make it one of the best around !

I sent you a PM about the testing.

Ho, ho.

As Letau, I got Daoritum up to 12,000 by means of a communist-style forced migration of people from the length and breadth of Britanny. But now I face a very long wait before I can complete a Hundredmen Hall and get my Campwyr.

I also have a system where all newly-raised troops go to Daoritum to get buffed up from my one-and-only swordsmith. The traffic can get quite heavy at times, a kind of ancient M1.
    Last edited by Juvenal; January 12, 2008 at 05:27 AM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!

Support the MAARC!

Hello to the community!

I'm an enthusiastic Rome-TW-player since a long (also with several mods) time and it's nice to know that this wonderful game isn't death after the release of MTW2. Especially ATW is one of my favourite mods.

But to my problem:

I'm playing a campaign with the Saxons (actual year 534). When I want to progress to the next turn, I crash to desktop.
    I read about this problem here in the forum, but didn't find a solution.
    My version: ATW 0.7 (i think. But I changed something: decreased the costs of units and deleted the reinforcements for the Germans, so it is easier and also a little bit balanced)

So is there a way for continueing the campaign (after 534)?
    (Forgive my bad English please)

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

534, that's maybe because of Ida's coming, so same issue as with Cerdic, which will be fixed in the next update

Well I think You can't hear that question any more^^ but: When will this update come? I'll try to insert that Ida-event from Nicodemus. But Maybe You can give me a hind how to fix it.

@Rusas:

If its 534, it may well be this issue ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=63122&page=2 ) which was caused by the st_con entry. I had it all the time in the previous version of ATW.
    It is fixable by changing the files noted in the link, but you have to start a new game

Agraes, Hope you dont mind me putting in this 534AD Fix.
    http://www.badongo.com/file/7515704

-Dl to your desk top and unzip it.
    -then open the ATW Hist.Events Fix folder and copy or drop the bi folder over your rtw game folder is overwriting the files

This fixes the 534AD ctd. Unfortunately it's not saved game compatible... ----Make sure the latest ATW patch has been copied to your game before copying the fix.

I'll See what I can find about the 509Ad ctd that has been reported.
    Ohh I see now. Great job Nicodemus finding the 509AD error!
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 28, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Lasarian's Avatar Laetus

I hear this mod doesn't work with Vista 32 OS; is that the definitive answer? I ask as the game always crashed after launch when I installed it, so have no idea if its any good or not. Shame.