Thread: The Last Days - M&B mod - Battle Strategy & Tactics

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default The Last Days - M&B mod - Battle Strategy & Tactics

The title is self explanatory isn't it? I'm wondering who has the best infantry to place in a line or in ranks, I asume it's probably the corsairs and their pikemen, especially if you face cavalry, but I'm wondering if someone had other experiences and preferences?

Default Re: The Last Days - M&B mod - Battle Strategy & Tactics

How many troops of the various kinds do you have?

The Lothlorien Infantry are fantastic in formations just never use the line there useless against calvary.

Well I'm interested to know if Uruk pikemen are in this mod and just how effective?

Tryed it as the HE.
    The mod is quite pretty! Environement is good looking and well done...
    Combat is nice, i especialy loved wargs and their way of fighting x)
    Quests are fine, but VERY very repetitive. //Sometimes a bit hard (which is good).
    But the unit designs....... The movies' White Tower's entrance protected by two... Two?
    Two dunno what mariomustache men... Damn.
    Or lothlorien warden looking a kinda chinese armored.... Undescriptibly ugly elven shields...
    Even if the movie design style is loreraping (often) - all the units of a single civ follow the same
    design line (which is looking buildingstyle compatible, i mean a gondorian soldier looks fine on a
    Minas Tirith wall, imagin a Lorien Heavy armored dude (from the HelmsDeep for exemple) with some forest on background - it's ok)

Arhh

Anyone wants to submod ??? ^^ Use the movie style design ? I'm sure it could be popular! Even with
    the TATW models xd

Very good mod) Just the units' design is not the one i love to see.
    Try it out ! Wait TATW 3.0 !

PS: Cutscenes are great !
    Last edited by Elensul; November 08, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Don't nail me down on this, but afair there are no Uruks with pikes. Neither do they wear plate armor or crossbows. The mod went after the books, where the movies contradict lore, and have only taken some visual inspiration from the movies.
    I prefer it this way.
    As for tactics... Well I haven't played for long, but I found (surprise!) Elven archers to be very effective against all kinds of orcs. Not bad in melee either.

Edit: OK browsing the troops.txt revealed that there are Uruk-Hai pike-men. My bad (about plate and crossbows I was correct at least *phew*). Sadly my editor is incapable of showing the units stats or equipment. But I guess they are OK if massed. Uruk-Hai/Uruks in general are quite capable fighters in this mod.

Edit 2: Cheated up a character. They (top tier Pike-Uruks) are good. 170 weapon skill, 15 strength and 5/5 Power Strike/Ironflesh.
    Armor is good for orcs (mail with some plating). The pikes are not actual pikes, though, put normal spears and halberd-type polearms.

Against infantry they lack the killing power the other Uruk-Hai have. But I think they will do fine against cavalry. And when u can put them in formation, that several polearms stack together, they should be very solid against infantry as well.
    Last edited by grinder; November 08, 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Yup it's by the book. The team has also stated time and time again that they will not follow movie designs.

Just a deal of taste x)

It's good even for me (that dislikes the design decisions of the devs).

PS: Submod i mean, someone who loves this mod could make an alternative movie style/lorerape designs for those who have the same prob as i have
    As the submods of TATW, players may choose what they wanna see and what they wanna play
    Last edited by Elensul; November 08, 2011 at 11:27 AM.