Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dutch Republic - Faction Thread

Default The Dutch Republic - Faction Thread

I've seen it listed somewhere as one of the 50 faction in the game. What do you guys reckon will be the chances of the Dutch Republic actually being playable?

I reckon the chances of it are slim, seeing that at the start of the game, the Dutch Golden Age is as good as over. And that over the course of the 18th century Dutch power slips further and further down it's zenith.

But still The Dutch were involved in some of conflicts during the games timeframe, particulary the fourth Anglo-Dutch wars and the French occupation. At the start of the game The British Monarch is actually 'stadhouder' of most of the Dutch provinces.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Default Re: The Dutch Republic

They should be one of the playable factions. Spains golden age is also behind but they are surely playable faction, so why not the Dutch.

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

The Dutch Republic was still the richest nation in the world until 1780.
    Only after 1780 the British finally became richer the Dutch.
    +
    It is confirmed that Indonesia will be in the game and Indonesia was at the time the Dutch east indies so I guess that's pretty much a guarantee the Dutch are in the game.
    historically the Dutch were still very powerful in the early 1700’s and after 1780 there fleet was still 60% the size of the British fleet so still a important player (every one knows how huge the British fleet was around 1780)
    the Dutch golden age is not that far behind and when the game starts in 1700 the Dutch are still really powerful with many colonies, the most important one being the Dutch east Indies (Indonesia which has been confirmed to be in the game)
    I have no doubt the Dutch republic / United Provinces will certainly be in the game.
    Last edited by Yoram777; August 29, 2007 at 01:44 PM.

It will be in the game, yes.

But will it be among the playable 10?

And remember it really only counts what the nation was like in the beginning of the game the year 1700, because after that you are in control behind you PC conquering the world.
    The only moment in the game that will be historically accurate will be the beginning of the game in the year 1700

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    It will be in the game, yes.

But will it be among the playable 10?

Personally I’m 100% sure it will be in the game yes,
    but one of the playable 10?
    I think there is a good chance they will be one of the playable 10
    (since they have one of the largest colonies in the game and are the richest and one of the most powerful nations in the beginning of the 1700's)
    but we will just have to wait and see.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.~Emp. Meg
    Last edited by Empress Meg; August 29, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Double Post.

Mr Tuna's Avatar Senator

Let's hope so. But I am curious how they are going to implent the William the III thing. Maybe an event after he dies or laten the game a bit. William died in 1702 so it wont be much of a difference.
    Drinking does to life what turning the radio up does to a car's engine problems.

-TnC

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    But still The Dutch were involved in some of conflicts during the games timeframe, particulary the fourth Anglo-Dutch wars and the French occupation. At the start of the game .

Any thoughts on this guys?

The French occupation is only after 1810 and the game ends at 1800
    the fourth Anglo Dutch war was 1780-1784 this war broke out when the Dutch began to support the American rebels.
    all of this doesn’t matter because the game starts at 1700 and you will be making your own history from that point forwards
    ?>The British Monarch is actually 'stadhouder' of most of the Dutch provinces<?
    at what time ? please explain this.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

when and where was it confirmed that the game started in 1700 and ended in 1800? and also bout indonezia being in the game
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    The French occupation is only after 1810 and the game ends at 1800
    the fourth Anglo Dutch war was 1780-1784 this war broke out when the Dutch began to support the American rebels.
    all of this doesn’t matter because the game starts at 1700 and you will be making your own history from that point forwards

King William III of Orange is Stadhouder of most of the Dutch provinves and King of England until his death in 1702

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

It's the Glorious Revolution. William III of Orange-Nassau was Stadtholder of the Dutch Republic (since 1672) when he overthrew James II and became King of England, King of Ireland and King of Schotland in 1689 (he reigned together with Mary II, William's wife and the daugther of James II). This was until his death in 1702.
    Last edited by Mangerman; August 29, 2007 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_makoy View Post
    when and where was it confirmed that the game started in 1700 and ended in 1800? and also bout indonezia being in the game
    (1700 - 1800 it is on the official website):
    The game is set in the years 1700 to the early 1800’s, a turbulent age of gunpowder, revolution, discovery and Empire Building. This period has all the ingredients for a great Total War title: fascinating changes in warfare and its technology, a large number of competing factions hungry for power, and bla bla bla bla bla bla

(Indonesia confirmed)
    check out the twcenter Empire Total War Map thread

here are some details on the game just in case you didn't know yet:

The game spans from 1700 to 1800

- There will be 10 playable factions, including Prussia, England, France, Russia, and the Ottomans.

- The campaign map will be larger. It includes Europe, North and South America, North Africa, Central Asia, India, and Indonesia

- You will be able to build colonies. It will make a difference, whether you settle in the wilderness of the Americas, or whether you can use preexisting infrastructure in India.

- All infrastructure built within a province, will be represented on the Strategic Map. You can upgrade buildings, by clicking on them on the Strageic Map. There will still be a capital though.

- Enemy armies can plunder or conquer buildings within provinces.

- Revolutions can happen, leading to the separation of countries. (As an example, a rebellion of the Scotts was given).

- You can change the form of government between: absolute monarchy, constituional monarchy, and Republic. This will directly influence how you can deal with revolts and how fast you develop new technologies. Other factions will treat you according to your form of government.

- Taxes can be set seperately for Nobles, Burghers, and Peasants.

- The AI system will be reworked and improved. An example given is that the AI will be unified, meaning that no longer the military AI will try to conquer a territory, while the diplomatic AI is working towards an alliance with the owner of said territory.

- Diplomats, Spies and Assassins will no longer be represented on the map. A new system will be introduced.

- Generals can now directly recruit units. They will join them after a few turns.

- Historical Generals can appear.

- The mercenary system will be reworked. While you can still hire mercenaries they won't be incorporated into your regular army. How this works out exactly is not clear yet.

- Infantry can occupy buldings. They will automatically take up defensive positions and fire out of windows/doors.

- Naval warfare will be included. Each side will be able to command up to 20 ships within one battle.

- Wind will play an important role in the battles. You can set the sails of your ship according to your desired speed. You can choose between three types of ammunition, damaging hull, sails, or crew respectively.

- Multiplayer battles are supposed to be improved. A ladder will be implemented.
    Last edited by Yoram777; August 29, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Semisalis

I read a Dutch language game magazine this afternoon with a coverstory (what else!) on Empire. The story ran for several pages (did'n actually count them but I guess 6 or something), no new information or pictures.

The story obviously (because I guess all stories in every magazine tell about the same thing) also listed the already confirmed playable nations. It being a Dutch magazine, I figured it might report if the Netherlands would be playable. But no such luck. Much to my dismay, no mention of the Netherlands anywere in the article.
    I also took a closer look at the pictures but every single ship carries the English flag.

No matter the historical significance of my country (especially in that era), I do not think that the Netherlands will be playable. Or maybe CA is just playing with my Dutch head here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
    I read a Dutch language game magazine this afternoon with a coverstory (what else!) on Empire. The story ran for several pages (did'n actually count them but I guess 6 or something), no new information or pictures.

The story obviously (because I guess all stories in every magazine tell about the same thing) also listed the already confirmed playable nations. It being a Dutch magazine, I figured it might report if the Netherlands would be playable. But no such luck. Much to my dismay, no mention of the Netherlands anywere in the article.
    I also took a closer look at the pictures but every single ship carries the English flag.

No matter the historical significance of my country (especially in that era), I do not think that the Netherlands will be playable. Or maybe CA is just playing with my Dutch head here.
    The game is only about 40% finished and no one know for sure who the other 5 playable nations will be so you shouldn’t n expect this kind of info so soon if anyone will be the first to let us know it will be CA I guess

(1700 - 1800 it is on the official website):
    The game is set in the years 1700 to the early 1800’s, a turbulent age of gunpowder, revolution, discovery and Empire Building. This period has all the ingredients for a great Total War title: fascinating changes in warfare and its technology, a large number of competing factions hungry for power, and bla bla bla bla bla bla

(Indonesia confirmed)
    check out the twcenter Empire Total War Map thread

here are some details on the game just in case you didn't know yet:

The game spans from 1700 to 1800

- There will be 10 playable factions, including Prussia, England, France, Russia, and the Ottomans.

- The campaign map will be larger. It includes Europe, North and South America, North Africa, Central Asia, India, and Indonesia

- You will be able to build colonies. It will make a difference, whether you settle in the wilderness of the Americas, or whether you can use preexisting infrastructure in India.

- All infrastructure built within a province, will be represented on the Strategic Map. You can upgrade buildings, by clicking on them on the Strageic Map. There will still be a capital though.

- Enemy armies can plunder or conquer buildings within provinces.

- Revolutions can happen, leading to the separation of countries. (As an example, a rebellion of the Scotts was given).

- You can change the form of government between: absolute monarchy, constituional monarchy, and Republic. This will directly influence how you can deal with revolts and how fast you develop new technologies. Other factions will treat you according to your form of government.

- Taxes can be set seperately for Nobles, Burghers, and Peasants.

- The AI system will be reworked and improved. An example given is that the AI will be unified, meaning that no longer the military AI will try to conquer a territory, while the diplomatic AI is working towards an alliance with the owner of said territory.

- Diplomats, Spies and Assassins will no longer be represented on the map. A new system will be introduced.

- Generals can now directly recruit units. They will join them after a few turns.

- Historical Generals can appear.

- The mercenary system will be reworked. While you can still hire mercenaries they won't be incorporated into your regular army. How this works out exactly is not clear yet.

- Infantry can occupy buldings. They will automatically take up defensive positions and fire out of windows/doors.

- Naval warfare will be included. Each side will be able to command up to 20 ships within one battle.

- Wind will play an important role in the battles. You can set the sails of your ship according to your desired speed. You can choose between three types of ammunition, damaging hull, sails, or crew respectively.

- Multiplayer battles are supposed to be improved. A ladder will be implemented.
    1. it was NOT confirmed that the game ends in the year 1800, anywhere. it says early 1800s, that could easily range until 1830s.

2. it was not confirmed on the map thread that indonezia was in, if anything, they warned against believing that kinda stuff this early.

and yes i do know all the other stuff of which u mention, those things that have actually been confirmed, and not interpreted as being confirmed.

to hunter_makoy

On the official total war website they say you can start colonies in the Indies.
    The Indies, that means India AND Indonesia.
    Indonesia has also been separately named in some articles about ETW

and we do know for sure that the starting date is 1700 that is the important date because the factions will be present in the game they were in the year 1700 from that point on you will be controlling those factions in the game and by doing so rewrite history after 1700.

Map of the Indies.
    Last edited by Yoram777; August 29, 2007 at 05:02 PM.

well i dont care one way or another whether or not its in, the more the better.

however, i am cautioning against ur assumption that indies definately means that it will stretch all the way to indonesia. however likely or unlikely that that is the case, the truth is that that question was posted on the etw map thread, and jack did not confirm that indonesia was in. atleast as the latest of this afternoon.

well we will just have to wait and see, but the Indies means India and Indonesia so since the indies is what is said on their site I’m going to assume for now that Indonesia is in.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Power transition Theory and Seapower concentration Index from Modelski:
    The theory leads to the long cycle theory of war and seeks to explain trends between warring states in the past 500 years. The general trend is that a nation achieves hegemonic power and then is challenged by a great power. This leads to a war which, in the past, has created a between the two powers. Eugene R. Wittkopf explores past wars and their relation to Power Transition theory in his book World Politics: Trend and Transformation. He explains this using Modelski's Seapower Concentration Index.
    At 1518,Portugal assumed a hegemonic position in world politics. However,as Spain and the Netherlands (which was experiencing the Dutch Golden Age) rose in power, a series of struggles led to the mass destruction of Portugal's power and a transition to Dutch hegemony. Dutch hegemony was brought into question again in 1688 with the Wars of Louis XIV, which resulted in what is referred to as the "Britain I Cycle".
    Obviously,the Dutch Republic should be in the game,as playable faction.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 29, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

The Indies, that means India AND Indonesia.
    It probably just means East India and West India.

It probably just means East India and West India.
    Or it could mean the west indies(Caribbean) and east indies (Malay Archipelago)
    As far as I know the name The Indies is never used for east and west India and if it is used then it is rarely used.
    The name The Indies usually means The Malay Archipelago which is mostly Indonesia .
    Last edited by Yoram777; August 30, 2007 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast