Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Voices to New Units

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Default Adding Voices to New Units

Hi all,
    Im going to add unit voices to the new Stainless steel units. Therefore when u click on say, Templar Guards they will say 'heavy infantry'. Before I do this I want to know what accent people would like them to have, French or English. I normally set them to english, but I know it is more accurate for them to be French. It is possible to mix them , so the templar longbows are english, but templar guards are french. Anyhow if the good and the great of this forum can let me know wha they prefer, I can knock this out in an evening,

many thanks
    Jason

EDIT ::ALL DONE AND WORKING FULL DETAILS AND DOWNLOAD LINK LISTED IN REPLY BELOW
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; August 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Default Re: Adding Voices to New Units

I would say its more accurate to go with French, but you may need to also do the Aragon and Kiev-Rus new units as well.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Is it possible to use a mix of all the catholic countries? Having it to be random would also be very cool offcourse

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstONeill View Post
    Hi all,
    Im going to add unit voices to the templar units. Therefore when u click on say, Templar Guards they will say 'heavy infantry'.
    Since you are at this, if you want to give a look to Kievan Rus too you would earn my eternal gratitude...!

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I would say its more accurate to go with French, but you may need to also do the Aragon and Kiev-Rus new units as well.
    They are easy enough as they have an obvious accent, Aragon would be mediterarian, and the Kiev Rus will be eastern european, only the templars have a real decison as to which accent to go with

do you want a release when the templars are ready or wait until Ive done all the added factions ?

cheers
    JAson
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; August 29, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

They are easy enough as they have an obvious accent, Aragon would be mediterarian, and the Kiev Rus will be eastern european, only the templars have a real decison as to which accent to go with

do you want a release when the templars are ready of wait until Ive done all the added factions ?
    If you are willing to do all three of them it would be really a great addition to SS.

All three, it keeps it simple for people who are not very good at adding mod files.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

ok, should be finished within the next three hours, I will list all the units with accents added, and what accent each unit will use. There will be the odd one for example Light swordsmen, where they are aviable to a multi ligunal pool i.e scotland, hre, spain, portugal, milan, sicily, venice, papal_states, hungary, poland, in these cases Im having to choose what I consider best option, in this example Ive gone for Mediterranean, as that is the majority of the owners

will be back shortly

EDIT:: okay its all done and working just writing readme then will post
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; August 29, 2007 at 11:00 AM.

Ok units and accents are as follows :
    Dismounted Armored Clergy-East_European
    Templar Guard-french
    Templar Longbowmen-english (best longbows in the world, sure templars would of have them)
    Templar Spearmen-french
    Templar Squires-french
    Templar Zweihander-german (in order toi use the Zweihander wav, has to be german)
    Noble Spearmen-french
    Basque Archers-Mediterranean
    Varangian Spearmen-East_European
    Desert Raiders-arabic
    Varangian Archers-East_European
    Heavy Horsearchers-East_European
    Brigandine Swordsmen-East_European
    Scandinavian Guard-East_European
    Numidian Cavalry-arabic
    Berdiche Militia-East_European
    Cossack Gunners-East_European
    Kievan Nobles-East_European
    Dismounted Druzhina-East_European
    Slavic Javelinmen-Mediterranean (in order to use the javlinman wav, sounds ok)
    Kievan Palace Guard-East_European
    Dismounted KM-Mediterranean
    Knights of Montesa-Mediterranean
    Aragonese Knights-Mediterranean
    Dismounted Aragonese Knights-Mediterranean
    Armats-Mediterranean
    Alforrats-Mediterranean
    Dismounted Armats-Mediterranean
    Greek Arquebusiers-East_European (sounds better than Mediterranean wav)
    Hashishim Mercenaries-arabic
    Viking Mercenaries-East_European
    Prussian Spearmen-German
    Arbalesters-Mediterranean (majority owner)
    Highland Pikemen Mercs-Scottish
    Heavy Axemen-East_European
    Hunters-East_European
    Sergeant Swordsmen-English (only slave owned so irelevant)
    Light Swordsmen--Mediterranean (majority owner)
    Light Men at Arms--Mediterranean (majority owner)
    Guard Pikemen--Mediterranean
    Swabian Swordsmen-German
    Macemen-East_European (best choice)
    Axemen-East_European
    Andalusian Infantry-Mediterranean
    Mercenary Saracens-Arabic
    Armenian Infantry-Arabic

Files changed are EDU, descr_sounds_accents, and export_descr_sounds_units_voice

The EDU is built on Quarks RC1.3b

Unzip the file into the data folder for you Stainless Steel mod (after backing up your files) then delete events.dat, and events.idx from the sounds folder WITHIN your stainless steel mod/data/sounds (this makes the game rebuild the audio files from your new text files) restart the game and everything should work fine.

If Ive made any incorrect choices for accents Im happy to change them, but I do not want to make individual custom ones for people, if majority feel any are incorrect I will change them

EDIT::: IMPORTANT This is made for the english version of MTWII, localised copies of the game do not have all the required accents to enable the correct sounds

If you try it and like it, + rep is always welcome (ive had a slow month LOL)

Take care and have fun
    cheers
    Jason

Download Link Below
    http://files.filefront.com/New+Unit+.../fileinfo.html

You need the unpacked text files for this mod to work, they can be found here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1110
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 03, 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Byzantium's Avatar Semisalis

Really looking forward to trying this mod when i get home today.Appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.It's going to be a great addition .

EDIT: Thanks to Quark for the recommendation.Not sure how i missed this earlier.
    Last edited by Byzantium; August 30, 2007 at 10:31 AM.

No prob, glad to put something back into the community
    cheers
    Jason

You are doing a great work and a very appreciated addition to SS community. Keep on!
    If I can pass some feedback, I would report that there are a couple of Kievan units still voiceless. Heavy horse archers, varangian spearmen, varangian archers, and maybe others. Of course unique voicesets don't exist, but generic voices will do.
    Many thanks for you effort!
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Teodosio View Post
    You are doing a great work and a very appreciated addition to SS community. Keep on!
    If I can pass some feedback, I would report that there are a couple of Kievan units still voiceless. Heavy horse archers, varangian spearmen, varangian archers, and maybe others. Of course unique voicesets don't exist, but generic voices will do.
    Many thanks for you effort!
    +rep

Teodosio,
    I have checked, they do work on my game, please ensure you have deleted the events.dat, and events.idx from the sounds folder WITHIN your stainless steel mod/data/sounds (this makes the game rebuild the audio files from your new text files) restart the game and everything should work fine.

any probs let me know
    cheers
    Jason

Awesome work!!

People like TheFirstOneill,BYG (although I dont use his traits), Quark, CC, Phoenix and I'm sure I forget some modders really deserve a lot of credit for making SS even greater.

I love this stuff.

Teodosio,
    I have checked, they do work on my game, please ensure you have deleted the events.dat, and events.idx from the sounds folder WITHIN your stainless steel mod/data/sounds (this makes the game rebuild the audio files from your new text files) restart the game and everything should work fine.
    Yes, it was so silly of me, I guess I was so eager to try out your work that I donwloaded it without reading the post!
    Everything works well, good contribution!

Now the next step is to "create" custom voices for vikings, varangians, etc...

this is not working . stainless steel is not open .

Last Sipahi,
    Sounds like this is due to what King Kong has explained below. If you are using a none english version of the game, you will be lacking some of the required sound files. So Im afraid at the moment it will not work for you. If I can find which accents are included in your version of the game, I will make a modified version for you. If you can send me a copy of your descr_sounds_accents file, I can get the required information from it. Either post it here or email it to me at thefirstoneill@hotmail.com

Many thanks
    Jason
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 01, 2007 at 12:22 PM.

Hi First O'Neill,

A very big thanks+ for your contribution!

Well, I have done almost exactly the same two days ago, but the better that people can have the unit sounds earlier..

However, there is one really big problem and I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned it yet:
    some localisations of the game (i.e my german version) don't have all accents from the english version (Scottish, Eastern European and Mongol).
    So, to make all sounds compatible for all M2 versions, we would have to leave out those accents.
    Otherwise some players won't have any sounds for units with the above mentioned accents...

I don't really know how this problem can be fixed, but well, it seems that most players have no problems with your changes...
    Keep up the good work!

btw, I hope you have taken french as the accent for the templars

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Lord Kong,
    I didnt know about the localised versions not having all the accents,that would cause probs. If you can tell me what accents are available in the localised copies , I could make another version using the accents which are available in local copies.

The vast majority of Templar units do use French accents, with a couple of exceptions, Longbows are english, and Zweihanders are german.

Thanks again for the great mod that stainless steel is

thanks
    Jason
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 01, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Since I have my descr_units custom moded (changed some stats and costs) - what changes do I have to make in order for your VoiceMod to work with my unit file?
    If changes are to extensive, I will forgo to install the voice mod.

Thank you for any advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast