Thread: What to do next?

Blopwerth III's Avatar Civis

Default What to do next?

So I recently got ETW and I've gotten up to the year 1722. I've been a republic since 1701, but I'm not completely sure what the differences between the CM, AM, and R forms of government are, their pros and cons in-game and such.
    In 1700, I invaded Saxony and Poland-Lithuania went to war with me in revenge. After I conquered Saxony, I sold Poland East Prussia in exchange for trade and peace. With that, I went into Hannover, but I allied with GB and UP first, allies of Hannover, so they would not fight me over Hannover. Hannover was not a hard conquest. I then hit the Rhineland. This is when it got tricky. Bavaria and Wurttemburg were allied with Austria, but Austria was getting mopped up by Poland-Lithuania in the absence of a running war with me. So I went to war with all three states. Two half-stacks got through them just fine, but Austria was tougher. A 3/4 stack handled them. I now controlled Silesia, Austria, and Croatia. Venice declared war but its allies did not want a war with me and my allies, so I just conquered the cheeky minor nation with my army from Bavaria. The people of the south were hacked off at me, even after 5 years of my rule. How does one calm them down? They are all Catholic, and I only have one missionary, who has been in Saxony converting the populace to Protestantism for 20 years. So yeah.
    And then Poland-Lithuania attacked me, obviously jus because they wanted Austria since they stuck a huge stack next door in Hungary. I blitzed through Poland and Prussia. I made peace with them finally, since I wanted to be free to fight the rebels springing up all over my new teritory without the threat of external attack, not to mention them sending little groups of 3 units to raid me, repairing which has stunted my economy, in exchange for trade and a few industrial technologies. I'm now planning to hit Denmark and later France for the final 2 victory provinces.
    So, what should I do next? What should I try not to do in the future? What am I doing right? Any tips?

Default Re: What to do next?

When it comes to Preussia, i prefer this guide
    http://etw.heavengames.com/articles/...ampaign-guide/
    additional on preussia: it worked like a charm to ally with Hannover right away,
    preussia also has the best ministers in game, so make sure you get that uber justice minister where he belong,
    and max out taxes the first 3-4 turns for additional funding, you will need to lower taxes when you start conquering.
    The only region i even had to station a garrison in after government building was repaired was Poland proper,
    then my troops off to get another, to maximize return on investment of those troops.
    All my other investments in money & research went into infantry & agriculture research and buildings,
    until i had most of europe.
    I see a pattern when i read comments on preussia:
    those that expand on warp speed find it to be the easiest faction in game,
    while the slow-starters find it the hardest.
    Next you need a base in america & india, so you can grab those continents
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Default Re: What to do next?

Considering your current position you have done pretty well, even if I question some of the things you did along the way. Here's some things I would have done differently.
    1) Dont trade East Prussia away for peace. Not only does East Prussia provide half of Prussia's income in the beginning, Poland is easy to beat considering how you start out with alot more forces than them.
    2) Don't trade away regions you will conquer in the future. Doing that results in -50 diplomatic relations with everyone.

As for pacifying Venice, lower the taxes or exempt them. If there is a school in the region, destroy it. Put dragoons in the garrison as they have repression bonus.