Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: France - Faction Thread

Icon1 France - Faction Thread

Louis XV , King for most of the game's time period, 1715 à 1774.

A thread for those looking foward to what is clearly the best faction that will be present in Empire.

Lets discuss units, famous persons, uniforms, and perhaps even that annoying little provincial corporal.

Unit Types
    From http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/FR...htm#french1700

- guard cavalry
    - - - - - - Life Guards (Garde du Corps) had 4 companies (350-420 each) on black horses
    - - - - - - Gendarmes (Gendarmes de la Garde) had 1 company (220 men) on bay horses
    - - - - - - Lighthorse of the Guard (Chevauxx-legers de la Garde) had 1 company (220 men) on bay horses
    - - - - - - Horse Grenadiers (Grenadiers a Cheval de la Garde) had 1 company (140 men) on bay horses
    - - - - - - Musketeers (Mousquetaire de la Garde) had 2 companies (240 men each) on black and grey horses
    - - - - - - Life Guards of the King of Poland had 2 companies (75 men each) on bay horses
    - - - - - - [The Queen of France was a Polish princess, whose father, King Stanislav Leszczynski, was exiled in 1737.]
    - guard infantry
    - - - - - - - French Guards (Gardes-Francaises) had 6 battalions (1000-1200 each)
    - - - - - - - Swiss Guards
    - cavalry
    - - - - - - - - Gendarmes of France (Gendarmerie de France) had 16 companies
    - - - - - - - - heavy cavalry had 60 regiments (incl. 3 German, 1 Irish, 1 Belgian)
    - - - - - - - - carabiniers had 5 regiments called brigades
    - - - - - - - - dragoons had 17 regiments
    - line infantry
    - - - - - - - in 1740 were 155 battalions (on average each had 540 men)
    - - - - - - - in 1747 were 227 battalions
    - - - - - - - in 1750 were 172 battalions
    - - - - - - - in 1762 were 187 battalions (on average each had 630 men)
    The battalions were formed in regiments. Only the senior regiments had more than one battalion, but most had a single battalion. "Until 1718 each battalion had 1 grenadier and 14 fusilier companies, this was then reduced to 1 grenadier and 8 fusilier. This was raised agan to 15 companies in 1734, then dropped to 13 companies from 1749. In 1756 the number of companies was raised to 17 per battalion." (Chartrand - "Louis XV's Army (2) French Infantry." p 5) The company had approx. 40 men. In 1757 each battalion going on campaign in central Europe received a light-calibre cannon with limber and 3 horses.
    - militia
    - - - - - - - Provincial Militia had 100-120 battalions (on average each had 600 men)
    - - - - - - - Coast Guard Militia
    - - - - - - - Bourgeois Militia

Uniforms

Common to the era there is a wide variety of colors and facings. I think the *best* in my opinion would be in general a white coat with light or dark blue facings for the infantry. Tricornes if you please CA.

-click
    http://pfef.free.fr/Anc_Reg/Unif_Org...erin04_red.jpg

Of course there is so much more.

Also - question.

I have heard that the revolution will somehow be in this game. I wonder how this will be. Will it be a seperate, later campaign? (probably along with the Americans) Will it be an event in the main campaign will the nation "converts" to the revolution? Will the forces of the King be able to fight and hold off this revolution in a civil war? Curious minds.....

H_man's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: ETW: France

My guess is that the French Revolution will occur only if the player controlling the French continues to use the Autocratic government type rather than the constitutional monarch or republic options. ETW definitely needs the MTW1 style of Rebellion and Civil War for this game to work. It would be espescially neat to chose the side of the revolution you wish to play as. Remember that comment made by CA where it asks whether you want to attempt to hold power as absolute dictator with an iron fist, or to graciously give your people the power? That's a major hint in my eyes.
    Last edited by H_man; August 28, 2007 at 04:56 PM.

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

I think if the Revolution will take place all the other European monarchies would be very hostile against France.
    France will be surely one of the hardest faction in the last game but we'll have a national army and Napoléon Bonaparte against all the Europe...

Légion étrangère : « Honneur et Fidélité »

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

King Louis XIV should include at that start since he was France's greatest King and made the French army the strongest in europe even after he died in 1715 they were still the most feared until after seven years wars and then Napoleon came and made it even stronger.

Wasn't it Louis XIV who also selected had some of the best french general at his time during his reign too.

I didn't say Napoleon, because he was Emperor!!

Killian's Avatar Civis

maybe other nations will have the choice to support the revolt or help re establish the bourbon dynasty .
    Last edited by Killian; August 28, 2007 at 05:28 PM.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
    I think if the Revolution will take place all the other European monarchies would be very hostile against France.
    France will be surely one of the hardest faction in the last game but we'll have a national army and Napoléon Bonaparte against all the Europe...
    don't forget during the late 17th century or should i say early 18th century King Louis XIV's french army was the most powerful army in europe or even the world you say and gave europe alot of trouble even after he died

It would be nice if every country could get a revolution if they rule in an to Autocratic fashion, this will of course increase proportionally to the amount of other sucessfull revolutions and the nearness of the revolution/s.

but this sounds more like EU III than any totalwar game. I mean combining the non battle features of EU III and the battles of Total war...

ahh... sweet dreams..

but i doubt it will ever happen

Killian's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Jensemann View Post
    It would be nice if every country could get a revolution if they rule in an to Autocratic fashion, this will of course increase proportionally to the amount of other sucessfull revolutions and the nearness of the revolution/s.

but this sounds more like EU III than any totalwar game. I mean combining the non battle features of EU III and the battles of Total war...

ahh... sweet dreams..

but i doubt it will ever happen
    that would be AMAZING.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Quote Originally Posted by jackwei View Post
    don't forget during the late 17th century or should i say early 18th century King Louis XIV's french army was the most powerful army in europe or even the world you say and gave europe alot of trouble even after he died
    Yes but in the end of the 18th century long after the dead of the King Louis XIV (and particulary after the dead of the King Louis XVI), It was France and the French army who had a lot of trouble...

- You will be able to build colonies. It will make a difference, whether you settle in the wilderness of the Americas, or whether you can use preexisting infrastructure in India.

- All infrastructure built within a province, will be represented on the Strategic Map. You can upgrade buildings, by clicking on them on the Strageic Map. There will still be a capital though.

- Enemy armies can plunder or conquer buildings within provinces.

- Revolutions can happen, leading to the separation of countries. (As an example, a rebellion of the Scotts was given).

- You can change the form of government between: absolute monarchy, constituional monarchy, and Republic. This will directly influence how you can deal with revolts and how fast you develop new technologies. Other factions will treat you according to your form of government.

- Taxes can be set seperately for Nobles, Burghers, and Peasants.
    EU3 it will not be,, but these seem a very strong step towards a better strategic control. I would not be suprised if some of the CA people have played EU.3 before,,,

Hohenstaufen's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel A View Post
    EU3 it will not be,, but these seem a very strong step towards a better strategic control. I would not be suprised if some of the CA people have played EU.3 before,,,

True.....THESE are actually HUGE steps IMHO.....All these features=great depth for the game.....
    ΠΑΣ ΜΗ ΕΛΛΗΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΟΣ

Quote Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
    Yes but in the end of the 18th century long after the dead of the King Louis XIV (and particulary after the dead of the King Louis XVI), It was France and the French army who had a lot of trouble...

Do you think the revolution will mean the Royal army will dissappear in this game? To be replaced by demi-brigades of poor milice?

Indefinitely Banned

I find that France gets swamped in Total war games, too many borders with too many strong countries

France is a hard faction to play in M2TW, most definitely.

By the 18th century, the situation had changed dramatically.

Spain wasn't much of a threat, and was a French ally, besides. England quite lacked the army to attempt a cross-channel invasion, preferring instead to reinforce the Dutch Republic and Hannover against French campaigns in the Low Countries.

In 1753, of course, there was the Diplomatic Revolution, bringing France and Austria together, removing much of the danger from France's Eastern borders.

Of course, we mustn't forget that Louis XIV's lasting impact on France into the 18th century was his construction of a great many forts along the French border, making an invasion of France a very problematic operation.

The great thing France had going for it in the eighteenth and seventeenth centuries was that it fought all its wars in the Low Countries, Germany and Northern Italy, meaning defeats were less serious and the French countryside was well preserved.

With revolutions in game, and 3 forms of government, I wouldn't be surprised if we see hugely increased depth to gov't types, especially with regards to France

Quote Originally Posted by schoenkoenig View Post
    France is a hard faction to play in M2TW, most definitely.

By the 18th century, the situation had changed dramatically.

Spain wasn't much of a threat, and was a French ally, besides. England quite lacked the army to attempt a cross-channel invasion, preferring instead to reinforce the Dutch Republic and Hannover against French campaigns in the Low Countries.

In 1753, of course, there was the Diplomatic Revolution, bringing France and Austria together, removing much of the danger from France's Eastern borders.

Of course, we mustn't forget that Louis XIV's lasting impact on France into the 18th century was his construction of a great many forts along the French border, making an invasion of France a very problematic operation.

The great thing France had going for it in the eighteenth and seventeenth centuries was that it fought all its wars in the Low Countries, Germany and Northern Italy, meaning defeats were less serious and the French countryside was well preserved.
    Uh, what does that have to do with France being hard to play in a game? Since when are total war games that accurate? Really, calm down a bit.

Found this;

http://www.flyingpigment.com/gallery4.htm

A gallery of thumbnails of the uniforms of almost all the gendarmes, gardes, dragons, cavalerie légère, infanterie, etc. etc.

Here are some examples -

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

king-nord's Avatar Ordinarius

Bs.

You know marlborough is in the game, yes one of the most kick ass generals to embrace the world.

Team Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by king-nord View Post
    Bs.

You know marlborough is in the game, yes one of the most kick ass generals to embrace the world.
    The Maréchal de Villars who was the counterpart of Marlborough (the battle of Malpaquet was a catastroph for the army of Marlborough ).
    But there are also some great French generals like le Maréchal Maurice de Saxe, Comte de Rochambeau, Le Marquis de Montcalm, Le Marquis de La Fayette.

Quote Originally Posted by king-nord View Post
    Bs.

Mmhmm, but he never led a British expeditionary force into France, at least not for very long.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast