Thread: I'll probably change my mind, but...

Default I'll probably change my mind, but...

I have no interest in this game. I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I simply prefer the Roman (and to a lesser extent, Medieval) period to anything involving guns prior to the period of World War 2. I was really hoping to see Rome Total War 2, but I'm guessing that project is at least 3 years away now. I am hoping some other companies will clone the success of RTW and MTW and perhaps add some more historical elements.

Default Re: I'll probably change my mind, but...

I'm in the same boat as you. This period of world history just doesn't seem to interest me, but I prefer the Medieval period over the Roman period.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Well, I have always preferred the ancient to any other historical period, but I tell you what, if the game is as good at it appears at this stage then I am sure it could spark my interest in this period. It might even prompt be to pick up a few books on the time.

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    Well, I have always preferred the ancient to any other historical period, but I tell you what, if the game is as good at it appears at this stage then I am sure it could spark my interest in this period. It might even prompt be to pick up a few books on the time.
    The fashion of the time is really really horrible. White wigs with ponytails, ugly hats off all kinds, tight and uncomfortable white pants ugh...

Gothic plate armour over tight white pants any day for me...

Although the jäger shako seems like a cool headdress.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Praepositus

if you do not like the game why are yu bothered writing???
    maybe twc must create an antiempire forum!!

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Well I think that without the stupid powdered wigs, just a ponytail, the jacket, knickerbockers etc and a sword, a bloke could look alright. I think we get a skewed impression from all the well-off people in those days posing for portraits in their best upperclass gear.

I sure the average man could be quite manly:

I agree with you about Rome... that period in history just fascinates me, and even though I didn't think RTW was as well-made as any other game of the series so far, I still played it the most by a long way.

Although the period of ETW interests me more than medieval does. I guess that's just because I don't know much about medieval history... whereas I know a fair bit about classical and 18th century history.

I hope the next one is RTW2! But hopefully with a better AI and non-Roman factions.

Praepositus

is thread supposed to be here any man listening?

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Ahhhh.... MY EYES
    I can't see
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

I have a great interest in this period but I feel the same, I'm just not that keen on the idea ETW at the moment; Medieval is my favourite period, probably because I know most about it, but also I like the predominance of melee so Rome 2, Shogun 2 or anything else like that would have been cool. I expect I will get ETW in the end anyway though.

bubka's Avatar Miles

I love the idea of naval battles, but as a period Rome is better set.
    Co founder of the Rookie's Nook!
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?
    Then Rookie's Nook is just about the perfect place for you! Join the other newbies in your first projects here! Make your dreams come true ...

I used to agree with the OP I used to hugely prefer a Roman or Medieval setting. In fact, the first time someone suggested a "Napoleonic:Total War" I did not like the idea at all. However, as I worked through my "West and the World: The 16th Century - Today" history class, I became very interested in the period. The era doesn't seem nearly as interesting until you really learn about it.
    "Son of a submariner!"

"Ahem. There's SAND on my boots"

"This is sickening! You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!Prepare yourselves!"

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Although I'm also more interested in the melee combat then gunpowder battles the sheer scope of the possible battle fields is something that looks very entertaining.

Although we had the america's in the latest game it was a very minor, late game side show.

With several contenders for expansions outside of Europe.

bubka's Avatar Miles

What actually bothers me is the advent of modern weapons. They've been known to spoil many a strategy game. The charm somehow goes when guns start blazing.
    Co founder of the Rookie's Nook!
    • New to modding?
    • Have some experience?
    • No experience at all?
    Then Rookie's Nook is just about the perfect place for you! Join the other newbies in your first projects here! Make your dreams come true ...

The romantic ideal may decline but tactics takes on a whole new dimension beyond rock-paper-scissors. I recommend NTW2 to any doubters!
    One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

I never liked the period in Shogon, thank god I was not stupid enough not to try it because of this.

That was a bold move on their part. And a good one, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Crecis View Post
    The romantic ideal may decline but tactics takes on a whole new dimension beyond rock-paper-scissors. I recommend NTW2 to any doubters!
    QFT

NTW2 online battles were more fun than MTW, RTW and M2 combined. There were so many things that could be done. Take that hill to set up your artillery for the main assault. Take the small village to protect your advance. Concentrate your fire on a single spot in the line then charge! In the end I felt like I was playing multiple mini battles on the battle field. The battle on the right wing was separate from the left and center. Meanwhile as you are being attacked on that hill and in the village. It was by far most engrossing battles I have ever fought with a tw game. I have no doubt CA will be able to create the same atmosphere as a mod was able to and will also go above and beyond it. Those experiences have me so hyped for Empire I may just go insane with anticipation.