Estlander
    Paladin
    Arakorn-Eir
    Feliks
    Spartan_shame
    Sapi
    Shyam Popat

At 7 alive, 4 to lynch.
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Default Re: MILAN

Right, good luck then everyone. Those Venetians think they are so much better than us, we will show them When we flood their beautiful city with scum! Muahahaha!

I have been busy counting my money (I am under the impression that the Italian states were rich..) but now let's go MAFIA HUNTING!!!

And remember, the Mafias were born in Italy!

Oh and I think we should for now only deport the Mafia, in risk of eliminating a good guy.

I'm kind of new to this game, and just got back from work, so will need a tidbit of help. What do we do now, talk amongst ourselves?

If so, hey all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat View Post
    I'm kind of new to this game, and just got back from work, so will need a tidbit of help. What do we do now, talk amongst ourselves?

If so, hey all.
    Yes, we have to find out who the scum are in our fair city. The beginning is the most difficult, we have no evidence against anybody. Eventually, someone will post something stupid, then we lynch or deport him. Keep an eye out, common scum tactics are to try to stop discussion, bandwagon and post as little as possible.

Ok, everyone please post... something at least so we can get going.

Hmm.. so how long are these mafia games usually? And to keep discussion going, how is everybody? Did you see that ... moon yesterday? Awfully white.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat View Post
    Hmm.. so how long are these mafia games usually? And to keep discussion going, how is everybody? Did you see that ... moon yesterday? Awfully white.
    That depends. This one... I have no idea, because there are 7 cities. I'm guessing a few weeks.

And Moon, huh? Hmm... That means you were out at night, possibly murdering innocent townies!!111

I mean 2 cities. Bah edit button.

Quote Originally Posted by Estlander View Post
    That depends. This one... I have no idea, because there are 7 cities. I'm guessing a few weeks.

And Moon, huh? Hmm... That means you were out at night, possibly murdering innocent townies!!111
    Gotta love those werewolves, yeah

Scum of the earth - but you should see the were-puppies

Now, anyways, I'm sceptical about the deportation idea. Unless we know the results of our actions immediately (and I'm not 100% sure we do), why not trust our own decisions?

Round one I can buy, as we'll be unsure.

But in the future, we need to realise that we want to kill the scum, not transplant them - a win in venice = a win here
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Paladin
    Feliks
    Spartan_shame

I want to hear from these people.

Please remember to bold your votes people.

Code:
    target_name
    Deport: Spartan_shame

As a Spartan, he will fight until he is killed. However, he is a shame for his own people, perhaps because he has killed innocent men for no reason?

Well, that's as good a reason as anything...

Uh, why was my bolded code messed up in last post? I don't get it..

We shouldn't deport in the beginning! We should only use it if Venice is getting too much ahead of us, lets lynch the first few rounds at least.

Feliks, SirPaladin and Spartan Shame, please post or we will get suspicious of you

Ok, how about this: We deport the first day (no evidences really), then lynch. (Using the same tactics as Venice to not have too many/few mafios).

And remember, we should coop with Venice in the beginning at least. I'd rather have the regular people win than the Mafias.

Tally:

Spartan Shame (deport) 1 (Arakorn)

Hmm... so we deport first? OK, Deport: Spartan_Shame

We are accusing a bit too fast here. He has not even posted yet and already we are deporting him? There is a good chance that he is a townie, if we send him to Venice like that it would just help our pathetic Venetian enemies.
    Currently we have nothing on him other than that he has not posted yet. If this continues we will prod them. We only need 4 votes to lynch so don't vote yet!

Shyam is suspicious because of the moon and the jumping on bandwagon.
    I think deporting would work better not only on the first round, because the Venetians are much more talkative and aggressive (and probably more skilled than us - but a bit rushy) and would see if someone is scum or not easier.

The next suspicious post of Shyam's will get him a deport vote from me (or even a lynch vote if it convinces me).

Deporting will only lead to a mafia victory. We must think of defeating the scum first, and Venice second. Some arguments in the Venice thread, why we should lynch instead of deport:

This seems counter intuitive and a plan that is pro-Mafia. The first few lynches occur with the least information and thus are most likely to hit innocents. Furthermore, sticking with just Deportation afterwards would result in a Mafia victory for sure if the other town adopted the same policy (and the other town would have to do so or virtually guarantee their loss.) Deportation favors the Mafia. It is only useful to us if Milan starts to outperforms us on Lynching mafia and we need to deport for a short-term gain.
    To put it more clearly, look at it this way. Assume Lynching always kills Mafia to better grasp the basic concept.

DD - Total Loss for both towns. Mafia get 2 free kills and no Mafia stand a chance of dying.
    DL - Major victory for Venice as we deport a mafia while Milan lynches one. Net gain for Venice and if no more deportation occurs, Venice wins.
    LD - Major victory for Milan as the inverse to the above occurs.
    LL - Minor Victory for both cities and Total Loss for Mafia.

Obviously it gets more complicated when guessing goes wrong and further, because Milanese can read this thread (attempts at DL are more likely to result in DD).
    Some more thoughts: each town surely has the same number of mafia, and that number must be two if the game is remotely fair. One mafia would be ridiculously easy, of course, requiring only one correct guess to win but six failures to lose, so only 14% accuracy as opposed to 12.5% random chance. Three mafia would be almost impossible, requiring three correct guesses to win but only one wrong move for town to lose, i.e., 100% accuracy needed as opposed to 37.5% chance. Two mafia would require a relatively healthy balance of two correct guesses to win but three wrong ones to lose, requiring us to achieve 40% accuracy as opposed to the 25% accuracy we would get by random choice.

If you must know, the moon bit was a very, very poor joke at us being medieval Milanese farmers.

EDIT: The first quote from the other thread says not to lynch, but the second two do. I'm quite sure the third was Sim, that was confusing!
    Last edited by removeduser_426582376423734; August 27, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast