Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Types of ships?

Default Types of ships?

my apologies if this has been discussed, and i'm willing to bet it probably has been, what with the chaotic sudden popularity in this forum and all.

i'm not going to beat around the bush, my true question is: will there be ship-of-the-line or similar sized ships? from the very few amount of screenshots, im starting to worry we'll only get sloops and corvettes (which of course is better than NO naval battles at all ). OoOo and how many cannons will they have? i'm all jittery now thinking about it..
    Last edited by snuggans; August 25, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Types of ships?

Why would they left larger ships out? And the number of cannons. Well largest ships had 100+

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Why would they left larger ships out? And the number of cannons. Well largest ships had 100+
    i need to know because hype can do bad things to you.

Hope they have something similar to the Santisima Trinidad, the largest ship of the line until she was sunk in Trafalgar. One of the few 4-deckers ever made, with as many as 144 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WaynehMarls View Post
    i need to know because hype can do bad things to you.
    A game set in the 18th century (with a naval aspect) without 72-100 gun Ships of the Line isn't a game worth playing.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There should be ships of the line... likely there will be.
    They would have massive broadside power, but be slower, and easier to flank and ram. Each ship class would have its advantages and disadvantages, like real life. Since they're making naval battles where you control the ships, it would make no sense to not have a realistic array of ships available.

Quote Originally Posted by WaynehMarls View Post
    my apologies if this has been discussed, and i'm willing to bet it probably has been, what with the chaotic sudden popularity in this forum and all.

i'm not going to beat around the bush, my true question is: will there be ship-of-the-line or similar sized ships? from the very few amount of screenshots, im starting to worry we'll only get sloops and corvettes (which of course is better than NO naval battles at all ). OoOo and how many cannons will they have? i'm all jittery now thinking about it..
    No offense, but what the hell do you think this is? A schooner?

Last edited by akd; August 26, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

AKD is right, that's definitely a "ship-of-the-line" in the photo, sweeet!

Remember how in M2TW the Eastern factions got gypped in the naval department? Well seeing as how in this game it'll be suicide to step inside foreign land, and sea will be important, how will the Eastern and smaller factions survive against Britain, France, and the sea warriors?

Damn...those Brits got one nasty and mean fleet.

where'd you get that one akd?
    boo gamespot

those sails look dull, but i cant cry because the game is still in development

good show

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

w00t w00t

Large ships with a hundred cannons each...

Now you KNOW that there will be ships of the line. It would make no sense to not have them.

About the quality of the ships in game, I'm not going to complain. Its their first game where you actually fight naval battles. Just the fact that I can fight them is +100. Low quality ships = -5. Total +95 happiness. Population is happy, almost no chance of revolt, and you can raise taxes should you feel the need to recruit more units. Aye, I be satisfied wit dat.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

ah i love these type of discussions, its been wat, 3 days since the game was announced?
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I can't wait to let loose a ship of the line with 3-4 decks of guns. I bet this ships will be expensive and if CA makes 4 deckers like the Santisima Trinidad it will be a special unit or a faction unique type unit.

I have not seen any pictures with sloops, corvettes, ketches, or brigs in them as of yet.

I suppose that CA will abstract the ship hulls from popular belief so that the common audience will know what they are. In theory there are hundreds of different configurations for seaworthy vessels. Anything from litle sloops and corevettes to the larger 100 plus liners.

Most corvettes would have carried lighter armourments in order to keep their speed and ease of tacking. You can easily recognize them from their smaller stature and their tendency to look like "boats" which gives a clue to their origin. Sloops also have oarports denoting their own origins. While completely capable during this time of perfroming independent actions, they were little better then tenders in the larger fleets so that they could work inshore and scout. These smaller ships could also be used as the fable fireships for their shallow draft. Most were unrated, though some of the larger corvettes carried armourment comparitive to frigates.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

do you think the same ragdoll physics engine for land battles will apply for naval ones? It would be cool to see shards and splinters flying through the air killing people, afterall splinters actually accounted for most casualties during naval battles.

I also wonder whether ships will catch fire and slowly sink that would also be rather groovy!
    Know that you shall die like whores and the cries of your writhings shall rise to please their lord, so before the sword, side with me in the slaughter....

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Meg View Post
    I have not seen any pictures with sloops, corvettes, ketches, or brigs in them as of yet.

i'll be honest the one in the left looked more like a frigate to me because its a little bit far away.

@ space wolves, where did you get those nice res screenshots?\
    they were the ones that were released early, but they were always thumbnail size to me. now i see in the second pic, the ship on the far left has to be a SoTL.

it will be so awsome sailing aroudn with a navy with 20 of thsoe big ships and crush everything in the way and hopefully they will include galleys which gonna own if the wind is against you.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

i always felt that in imperial glory multy ship battles got a lil hectic cuz of all the constant motion. i'd always end up chasing after a ship for a long time and then one of my ships would accidently leave the battle. but im sure their mechanics will be better the IG.

500th post!!!!! where's my party?

EDIT: @waynhemarls love that last pic u put up. hadn't seen that one yet. graphics look exstremely promissing. promissing that ill prolly need a new comp when this comes out! seeing that america is featured there, and will be such an upstart nation at the time, i wonder wat/if any tech ceilings there will be for them. cuz i dont think they would be able to make any SotL or huge frigates.
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; August 26, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

Oh i cant wait to build an entire fleet of first rate ship of the lines! it will take me like twenty turns to get from my ports in britan to my colonies but w/e

Thank you kindly for that picture you posted WaynehMarls. I'll do a little looking through my books and see what ships those are supposed to mimick.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast