Thread: Fire button?

Default Fire button?

i keep hearing about the new fire button feature but i don't really understand. i know that by pressing it my unit will fire on command, but is that it? does just make the unit i have highlighted fire or whole army? and if it's just highlighted unit then i'd have to click other units to fire over and over if i want different rates of fire? i'm hoping it will be much deeper. there were two main things that made infantry armies effective: formation drills and firearm drills. now we already know that CA are going to stress on formations. but i want to know about the detail they are going to put into the fire command. back then it was much more then a general yelling fire and army obeyed. they had many more methods that were usefull in different situations. like the command platoon fire by center. thats when the the platoons in the center of formation fired and then the next platoons to outside fired, and then the next and so on till it reached the two platoons on the flanks and by then the center ranks were reloaded and it started over creating a constant barrage of lead going down range. also worked for company, batallion, and regimental fire commands.
    i also hope that they infantry units don't act like the gunpowder units in M2TW were they would shoot at closest unit even if it's on far side of formation and then open up their flank to the enemy. so annoying
    Last edited by Kracker Jack'D; August 25, 2007 at 07:40 AM.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Default Re: Fire button?

thats basically it, ur unit stands positioned until the command is given. and in the type of warfare given in the game that is gonna be cruicial. as was mentioned in joker's great thread about the known facts the timing is gonna be cruicial to maximize the power of the volleys.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

yeah, and if your timing is a bit to late, the enemy will shoot before you and you'll get pwned. If your timing is to early, you will most likely miss 60% of the shots or something.
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

Quote Originally Posted by King Arsen View Post
    yeah, and if your timing is a bit to late, the enemy will shoot before you and you'll get pwned. If your timing is to early, you will most likely miss 60% of the shots or something.
    The tables in the middle of this link give an idea of what percentage of shots should hit at what range based on military tests.
    http://www.scotwars.com/html/textonl...e_musketry.htm

Based on those it shows a massive difference between 100 and 200 yards so yeah timing is crucial because firing too early would allow the enemy to get close enough to loose a volley at point blank range.

i understand you just hit the button and your troops fire. i'm really hoping they add more to it like i mention earlier. ie. you could just select all units and hit fire botton right. but then say the left flank of my line are getting closer then the rest of the enemy. so i take my left flank men and i want them to fire by platoon. so it's slows down their flanking manuever. while continuelly are using my command i can switch to my other flanks and have them fire waht ever kink of drill i think will take advantage of the situation.
    i'll be very dissapointed if its just "fire" reload time "fire" shift formation" fire". there has to be more (for lack of a better word) discipline when it comes to fighting this style.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

I think there is a fire at will option, and an option to hold fire till ordered.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler