Thread: Combat Mechanics

Default Combat Mechanics

This thread is [hopefully] for a discussion on combat mechanics for Empire: Total War, what could be improved, what we would like to see implimented, ideas on how the tactical combat of the TW series could be tweaked, cleaned, evolved and added for increased control, command and execution on the battle field.

My first thoughts on this topic is for a system of improved waypoint control, and a method for issuing queued orders, or orders to be executed by multiple units in one button click when desired.

Example: Clicking one button with two units selected causes them to run out from behind my lines to the flanks, then to crash into the enemies flanks in a charge simultaneously, orders I have already queued beforehand.

Example: March and Fire. Gunpowder units march forward slowly, periodically stopping to fire off a volley, then resuming their slow march.

Example: Defensive Perimeter. All units have a march order to a distant hill, for example. I highlight my cavalry and gunpowder/fast/ranged troops and click a defensive perimeter line between my enemy and myself, parallel to my own path to the hill, wherein those units attack any unit that gets within the perimeter, but otherwise continue to march to the waypoint.

Example: Pre-determined formation. At the start of deployment, I outline a defensive/main/primary formation for all my troops. At any point during the battle, if I highlight all my troops and tell them to halt in unison they will attempt to form this defensive formation, while minimizing casualties in their retreat. I.e. if they are marching to a waypoint, telling them all to halt will make them move to form this formation, regardless of individual orders. Any order issues after this to individual units, i.e. support some withdrawing units, hold for that individual unit but do not stop the rest of the troops reforming the pre-determined formation.

Example: In battle re-organisation of depleted units. A split/merge/combine/transfer system of individual men between units. Infact a complete system of reorganising all units into smaller or larger groups on the fly.

Example: Operate as Single Line stop/brace/withdraw/charge orders. Multiple units marching forward in lines stop in unison when one unit encounters resistance and halts/fights.

Example: Withdraw while facing the enemy. Surely an absolute must this time around.

Example: Withdraw to X position after taking Y casualties. A command for telling units to seek appropriate defensive cover before taking excessive casualties.

Example: Support X Unit at Y Condition. A command for telling a unit to perform a supporting action on another unit when other unit reaches a certain condition, otherwise continue current orders. I.e reserves never, ever sit idle.

Thoughts?
    "Genius never desires what does not exist."
    -Søren Kierkegaard

''I know everything, in that I know nothing''
    - Socrates

Default Re: Combat Mechanics

I like a lot of the thoughts but I think some of it would make the fighting trivial. After all, part of being a good commander both in game and in real life is being able to make those judgment calls yourself such as when to withdraw, etc. and being able to manage the situation at the time it calls for. After all, if every commander had the luxury of knowing units would perform as told, they would never lose a battle.

I would, however, like a general advance button where units walk in the direction their formation faces - I feel like in all the previous TW's, it was hard to get units to stay in formation and move en masse.