Thread: Artillery Accuracy

Default Artillery Accuracy

how accuarte will a barrage of cannonballs be. And how devastating will it be towards infantry. Cannons in this era could easily blow up ten tightly packed gunman and injure another 10 ( cannon fragment) how will this issue be balanced in the game.
    How great is he who gains the world but loses their soul? :hmmm:

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Default Re: Artillery Accuracy

Yes, but they should not be too accurate. Artillery wasn't that accurate these days. (It's far too accurate in NTW2!)

Used properly it was very acurate, if it was not, they would not have used it. While you could not aim a great gun per se, you could judge a rough position and fire accordingly. It was an artform slowly made into a science.When deployed en masse, the cannon was a force ot be reckoned with by men in ranks.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

arty was very accurate in those times along as the crew was well trained and the chief of battery was knowledgable then it would only take one or two shots to get on line. they usually had charges already laid out for different ranges before the battle started. so it was a matter of visual points on battlefield that marked range and that was the bag they used.
    arty is the one of the things i'd like to see really well done. i'm a former redleg and i've yet to see an rts realisticly simulate arty to any degree.
    i hope in ETW (which in many ways was the grand daddy of modern artillery)
    they give much more options then fire blast or whatever they used. they should have different ammo type for different situations. round shot (long distance) shrapnel ( medium time fuse) canister ( for when enemy was real close, great for destroying infantry but terrible range) and so on. i also want to see more than one caliber. 24lbs, 32lbs, 9 lbs , 6 lbs. you get the idea. and of course calvery arty.

I believe they mentioned that cannister shot and so on will be in so that's a definite plus. Also, in naval combat, you can target where on ships you want a ships guns to target and so at least one aspect of artillery targeting will be in. Very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker Jack'D View Post
    and of course calvery arty.
    Now, Horse Artillary, that would be fun, watching the AI's highly mobile artill, galloping to a stop for a quick unlimber, to your advancing lines, trying to poor in a bit of canister, before you see em off with your light cav.

Wonder if CA will get these details correct? At least the animations will look good, one hopes.

And of course, us good ol Brit's should have the use of Shrapnell first, thanking you kindly Henry Shrapnell.