Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant: But Concerns:

Default Brilliant: But Concerns:

My big concern is land warfare, and to be honest, people should be thinking about this. I am ASTOUNDINGLY excited over the naval warfare, I am amazing interested in seeing what direction this game goes, but at the same time... Land war concerns me.

I fear that this will end up being basically armies of handgunners, arbusts, and muskets essentially, without other units to speak of. Essentially, things just being based on what level of guns the men have.

Does anyone else have this concern, that land warfare will just turn into "I've got longer range guns then you do"?

Default Re: Brilliant: But Concerns:

They have made it clear that muskets will misfire and are slow to reload (as in real life), allowing for infantry melee and and cavalry tactics. The swedes incorporated melee tactics into their army VERY effectively. Cavalry was also still a battle decider. Polish lancers, Hussars, Dragoons, Cuirasers, and alot more, so dont worry man. Also think about the native tribes who will use tomahawks, spears and javelins, and the Mughal elephants.

Tomahawks! I wonder if some weapons will be able to be thrown with the attack button also and a secondary knife used for further melee.

Semisalis

The landwar of the time was quite interesting. Artillery guns were in good use, so were muskets. You had cavalry, infantry walking in line, infantry able to garrison a building (I read somewhere that this will be implemented) and to top it off: jeagers. Small units with fire arms that weren't walking in lines but use the landscape (hills, trees) to approach. They were used to harrass the enemy. If they can be implemented, it would be great. It would add another method of fighting!

Archer of Sparta's Avatar Tiro
    Oh, a little east of italy in a small town called Sparta.

Don't forget the tanks, snipers, and airforce one jets! no..

But I think there will be mele I mean thats what bayonets are for right? Watch the movie glory its an old war movie about the civil war. Skip to the fight scenes and you can see there is mele.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by Roman-Byzantium View Post
    My big concern is land warfare, and to be honest, people should be thinking about this. I am ASTOUNDINGLY excited over the naval warfare, I am amazing interested in seeing what direction this game goes, but at the same time... Land war concerns me.

I fear that this will end up being basically armies of handgunners, arbusts, and muskets essentially, without other units to speak of. Essentially, things just being based on what level of guns the men have.

Does anyone else have this concern, that land warfare will just turn into "I've got longer range guns then you do"?
    I don't see a problem: this sounds exactly like R:TW online. But at least with this new game, it'll be more accurate if players spam gunners.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

I do hope they implement Dragoons into the mix. The inability to dismount knights in Med II was a joke IMO. To have Dragoons that can ride to a position, dismount and then engage would be bloody brilliant.

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

At least we wont practically have to worry about calvary anymore, thanks to the infantry square

No we can finally change history and have america invade mainland europe, and Briton itself

god would i pay to see George the III panic when i invade briton

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

I want to kick some butt with the Prussians. Maybe have a dreammatch between Prussia and the American states.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

I hope they stay HIstorical and leave the US out of the Game
    if the Game start around 1700 and ends around 1825, I don't see how US could fit into it.

Ordinarius

Except, perhaps, as a substantial revolution against its British masters and being one of the defining events of the age along with the French Revolution?

Archer of Sparta's Avatar Tiro
    Oh, a little east of italy in a small town called Sparta.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    if the Game start around 1700 and ends around 1825, I don't see how US could fit into it.
    Thats not gunna happen. More America, more sales in the U.S.

Did you forget the War of 1812?

The title of the game is "EMPIRES: Total War" (not "Europe: Total War"). Believe it or not: the British had an empire on that side of the world...and they fought the United States.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; August 24, 2007 at 06:47 AM.

Well, they are going to have to significantly increase the time it takes to reload a musket; the times in M2TW were just too long. This way, we won't have a shooting fest, although more elite troops should have a faster reload time. The Prussians under Frederick the Great were renowned for their ability to reload while marching (not expecting this in the game though; would be really difficult to implement).

Not to mention America was very independent under British Sovereignty. Not free, not it's own nation, but far from being simply controlled as would other Colonies of England.

Are some of the people who don't want America Europeans? I'm just curious, because I'm not exactly gung ho over playing them - I want to play the Ottomans and Mughals more, but I don't get why it's so allergic a reaction to having them as a faction. This is, as someone said, about the European Empires, not about Europe and Europe only. There's going to be a lot of attention paid to the Americas and to India
    Last edited by Ahiga; August 24, 2007 at 09:28 AM.

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

How the heck is it historical to leave America out durring that time period??

CLICKY

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Are some of the people who don't want America Europeans?
    Well, I'm a European who wants America included in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cudakite View Post
    How the heck is it historical to leave America out durring that time period??
    Perhaps because they didn't exist for 3/4 of the 18th century, and were barely a regional power for the rest of the timespan of the game? Seems strange to waste 1 of the 10 faction slots on a faction that doesn't exist for most of the game and isn't important for the rest of the time. Oh well, here's hoping for some good Napoleonic War mods, focusing entirely on Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mechstra View Post
    Well, I'm a European who wants America included in the game.
    I'm not saying all do. I am just curious if those that want them out are American or European.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor1234 View Post
    Perhaps because they didn't exist for 3/4 of the 18th century, and were barely a regional power for the rest of the timespan of the game? Seems strange to waste 1 of the 10 faction slots on a faction that doesn't exist for most of the game and isn't important for the rest of the time. Oh well, here's hoping for some good Napoleonic War mods, focusing entirely on Europe
    They existed as a reasonably independent colony of England. It would be more inaccurate to have England control those colonies and move about them as if they were the same kind of settlement as London or Lancaster than it would to have America as a vassal to the English.

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Victor1234 View Post
    Perhaps because they didn't exist for 3/4 of the 18th century, and were barely a regional power for the rest of the timespan of the game? Seems strange to waste 1 of the 10 faction slots on a faction that doesn't exist for most of the game and isn't important for the rest of the time.
    That's a fine argument for not wanting America to be one of the 10 playable factions, but the original argument by Chlodwig was to
    "stay HIstorical and leave the US out of the Game"
    to which I ask again- How is that historical? Especially considering a big aspect of this game is supposed to be exploration, trade, and colonization.

CLICKY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast