Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting in a campaign full of gunpowder.

Icon5 Starting in a campaign full of gunpowder.

Hello SS-team, and everybody else who loves this mod as much as I do,

First I would like to say that I really love this mod, and ever since I downloaded it, I never played another. I have been following this mod forums for a couple of months now, and I would like to add that you guys are very positive and work as a good team! So, thank you SS-team and especially KK for pulling this off!

I really like the gunpowder part of M2TW and I was wondering if the grand campaign could changed so that one would start with gunpowder units and such. I understand this involves changing the start and end date of the campaign and probably also the cities of each other country.
    But unfortunately I am not a profesional, so I would like to have some advice on how to do this.

Afcourse this is ment for personnal use only and nothing else.

Thank you in advance.
    -wonkuruben

Default Re: Starting in a campaign full of gunpowder.

well i'm no modder but i think you could make it so gun powder became available at any time you want, it would be a little trickier to make it so you could get that far in the techtree that fast though. i can tell you that the next total war game is napolionic though, it comes out in 08.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Yes I do know about the next game, and i am very excited about it too!
    I know i can make Gunpowder available at any time, but I want that every faction actually uses allot of gunpowder units. this would mean editing all the cities and castles in size(?) and population(?).

-wonkuruben

sounds like a major project, probably a whole new mod. i would have no idea how to help you do it though.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Yes, a mod like Rennaisance total war?

That mod's developement has pauzed at this time I believe and I tought that i would try something myself, without new units or stats, just so that all factions begin with gunpowder.

-wonkuruben

well good luck, i hope you find a way to get what you want!

Thank you very much Nightbringer,

I do hope that someone else is able to help me furthermore though.

-wonkuruben

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Actually it would be very simple (I think). Just open descr_events.txt in the Stainless_Steel_Mod\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder. Find the gunpowder_discovered event and change the date to 2. Then in turn 2 you should discover gunpowder and will have all the buildings available.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

here is a link to a bunch of stuff on how to do mods, you can also ask for help here to get lots of help.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=272

CAESAR
    he said "I know i can make Gunpowder available at any time, but I want that every faction actually uses allot of gunpowder units." so i think he wants to do something more major than just discovering gunpowder early on.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; August 23, 2007 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    CAESAR
    he said "I know i can make Gunpowder available at any time, but I want that every faction actually uses allot of gunpowder units." so i think he wants to do something more major than just discovering gunpowder early on.
    Damn. I want my money back from my speed-reading course

So I was thinking, maybe there is a way for me to change the requirments for gunpowder units such as the Arquebusiers? If only I knew how.

-wonkuruben

If you want every faction to be able to have all gunpowder units, you would need to go into the export_descr_buildings.txt and change the faction requirement for the gunpowder units.

For example for handgunners you have:

Code:
    recruit_pool "Hand Gunners"  1   0.25   2  0  requires factions { hre, spain, aragon, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, }  and event_counter gunpowder_discovered 1
    you would need to add in all the other factions in that list. The names for each faction are in descr_sm_factions.txt I believe.

However, I am not sure if you also need to make changes to the EDU or the modeldb files too. Someone with more experience can tell you though.
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; August 23, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

well, thank you for your help, but what I really mean is that I want all factions (who can make gunpowder units in the vanilla game) have gunpowder units to recruit at the start of the game. and maybe leave a few units so that they would mostly train those.

-wonkuruben
    Last edited by Chim; August 23, 2007 at 04:39 PM.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

Plonkdog's Avatar Tiro

it should be easy just go where clivus said and change so they dont need event and then make them available from more buildings (paste the text into earlier buildings in same file) or start cities with later buildings in descr.strat. you can change the dates in descr.strat near the top, aswell. hope that helps

Stupid timeouts...
    Last edited by Quark; August 24, 2007 at 05:12 AM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Oh for a delete button.
    Last edited by Quark; August 24, 2007 at 05:12 AM.

Paul Ehrlich

To do this you need to consider
    1. If I give players guns/cannons what is the point of wooden walls.
    2. Can the Ai cope with the leap into an advanced era and building all the buildings required to make these units.
    3. How do I adjust all the rebel settlements to have similar capabilities.

No 2 is the big worry.

However I think that what you need to;
    1. Edit the EDB and remove all the event counter gundpowder condition
    2. Edit the descr_stat file and edit the buildings, walls, faction army and slave composition. I would also edit the settlement sizes or you will never get the buildings going.
    3. Change the start date in the descr_stat file
    4. Edit the evenst file and get rid of the early events and reduce the turn counters on the rest.
    5. Pray that the game balance works, becuase some factions have an advantage at the start with units but lose it in the late era to the gunpowder factions.

Best of luck

Paul Ehrlich

If he wants gunpowder units from the start maybe changing the population to get the high level buildings is not the best idea, a lot of building to do in a short time, maybe too much for the AI, as Quark said.

Why not making the gunpowder units available at the lower level barracks? Sure, it´s not balanced at all, but having musketteers available at any age is not going to be balanced anyways.

For the original poster, doing what i´ve said is as easy as going to the buildings file (export_descr_buildings.txt), looking for the gunpowder units you want, and assingning them to low level barracks, archery range, or whatever building you want.

Feel free to ask if you don´t know how to do that, it´s very easy and a lot of people here can give you further details, myself included

Thank you all, you all were a big help!

Ok. I added all late units to earlier buildings, and all seems to work well, I need to edit the costs a bit for a good early start or increase the kings purse. I will also, like you said Quark, need to get rid of the events. There are a few things though that I do not fully understand:

I would also edit the settlement sizes or you will never get the buildings going. please explain this a bit further, what would be the problem?

and is it possible to completely get rid of walls? not that that is such a big deal but just wondering,

How do I adjust all the rebel settlements to have similar capabilities. how do I do this exactly?

thank you in advance.

-wonkuruben
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

wonkuruben
    Maybe this should be in mod forum, but lets take an example from descr_stat

settlement
    {
    level village
    region York_Province
    year_founded 0
    population 1000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    }

Population = taxes

Now obviously if this is to be any threat it will need some defences so we need to make it more like

settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region York_Province
    year_founded 0
    population 2300
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_watch
    }
    }

Plus any others you think match the era.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then find the troops assiagned.

character sub_faction england, Arthur of York, general, male, age 31, x 132, y 203
    army
    unit Peasants exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Archer Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Peasants exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Peasant Archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Peasant Archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Umm... peasant archers vs Musketeers, so swop for something more appropriate.

Hope that helps

Paul Ehrlich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast