Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lithuanian Emergance AAR

Default The Lithuanian Emergance AAR

Set-Up
    Grand Campaign (City View Script removed, Garrison Script changed to GrnEyedDvl's version), part of pinko's realism.
    Very Hard, Very Hard
    Huge Unit Size
    (This is my first attempt at an AAR, and it'll be a slow one due to a work and school taking up the majority of my time)

Chapter 1: Consolidation
    Grand Duke Algimantas claims himself leader of Lithuania, with the city of Vilnius and Castle of Jersika under his banner. His first course of action is to unify the rest of Lithuania under his command. To do so he will need to quell rebellion in neighboring regions and assert control of the settlements.

He sends his boyhood friend, Skolmantas, to the village of Riga to assess it's garrison.

Next he commissions his son, Gytautas, to lead the army personally and bring news of the Grand Duke's rule to all the nobles.

He sends his diplomat south to obtain trade rights with neighboring factions as his economy is hurting and reunification of Lithuania will be a costly endeavor. The fair Lady Gabija is also sent south, towards the Mediterranean to bring word to the Italians and ask for trade routes to be established.

Once the Prince forms his army, the nobles who currently swear allegiance to the Grand Duke, suggest that the neighboring settlement of Raseiniai should be first on his list.

The Prince has other ideas as Skolmantas sends word that Riga is ripe for the taking. So the Prince marches north and lays siege to the settlement, luckily Skolmantas is able to disable the gates saving the Prince the cost of encampment. The Prince takes on the small force by surprise.

Not one to hide behind another, Gytautas leads the charge through the gates. With the rest of his army on his heels.

The battered militia quickly retreat to the town square and is crushed under the onslaught of the attacking army.

The result of this is not surprising as the Prince himself slew the rebellious Noble. Losses were minimal, but hurt nonetheless.

Before the blood could dry and the sun could set, Skolmantas was sent to Raseiniai to clear a way for the Prince and his conquering army. The Prince followed shortly after, with yet again Skolmantas proving his worth as he cut the latches holding the town's gate together. The Prince wastes no time and attacks!

This settlement won't fall as quickly, nor as easily as the first. It's garrison is bigger and consists of the reputed Kozaks with their deadly rain of arrows. Once again the Prince leads the way strait into the enemy where he quickly gets surrounded by himself.

But it would take more than than a misguided settlement to take him down. He leads his army to it's second Victory in the short span of 1 year. He lost many brave men in this battle, but all those who survived were stronger for it. It was a lowly conscript who killed the settlements captain, earning himself a promotion and becoming apart of the Prince's entourage, tasked with his security.

It has only been a year since the Grand Duke took his self proclaimed throne, but things are looking good. The unification of his people is almost at hand; news will spread quickly amongst the villages.

Last edited by StrikeQ; August 23, 2007 at 05:05 AM.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Default Re: The Lithuanian Emergance

Perhaps I should shrink my screen shots for this...
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Lietuvaaaaas!

quite nice so far, my congratulations. in my opinion you should change the screen resolution (size) for better view but lets see what the others will say about that

keep on conquering!
    A measure of salvation.

Great start! I will be following this one as i like to play the rival kingdom, Teutonic Order. Maybe I can get insights on my enemy through this AAR.

I have looked at using GrnEyedDvl's New Garrison Script (especially since it cuts down on time, uses mercenaries, is end-turn based, and has the govenor condition in it). Do you like it? Did you have to alter it at all for DLV (edit for cities) or did you leave it the same? If you altered it for DLV specific mod, would you mind posting it?
    Last edited by The Pied Piper; August 23, 2007 at 05:02 AM.

Yay 4 northeastern faction AAR! All we need now is a moorish campaign to cover all four corners of the known world. Nice reading so far!

I agree on the screenies, I am using 1024*768 for my own AAR and it seems the biggest you can get without interfering with a lots of peoples screen resolution.

Edit: Oh and perhaps add AAR into the title to make clear whats it's all about?
    Last edited by Furin; August 23, 2007 at 04:58 AM.

Changed image size, as for the garrison script I didn't change anything. This is my first time using it as well so can't really comment. I just deleted the include garrison script (though leave the counters and faction setting at top as it messes up other stuff if you remove it) and pasted his in.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Awesome. I will give it a try.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: The Lithuanian Emergance AAR

Wow! Another excellent AAR in the making. We defiantly need an AAR sub-forum here. Good job StrikeQ!
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Campidoctor

Ahhh, very good, very good. These guys have gone berserk in my campaign, let's see if you can match up Strike, heh. Good to see this started, keep it up.

StrikeQ,

I am currently working on blending the DLV garrison script with GrnEyedDvl's garrison script, if you are interested.

I really like the reality of a governor must be present in order to bolster his garrison. If no leader was present, I'm sure the population would be too panicked and chaotic to find and organize garrison troops. Plus his garrison adjusts scale according to city/castle and size of settlement. I also like that it is local mercenaries as I'm sure that rogue soldiers would have been present for hire in local taverns, inns, or retired to farming/crafting life (and not mass quantities of the faction's own units who should have already been in the military). Also with his, it is not faction specific ownership in garrisoning.

I also like his use of end-turn conditions so one may use spies properly.

However his is limited in what settlements receive garrisons (example: Southhampton is not included and most of Ireland). What I am doing is going through and adding the additional settlements from the DLV's version so almost all settlements get the script.

He also does not include a money costs script for the addition troops... do you think that should be added?

I hope to have the blended garrsion script tested and posted by tomorrow.

@The Pied Piper

Yea, adding all the settlements is a must. However it's not hard just time consuming. I too like the details of it, governor required, mercenaries etc etc. Though as for a cost, if it was for the player most definitely. However since it's just for the AI I'd leave one out, as they need all the help they can get.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Looking good.

I notice a lot of you guys use huge unit size. Was DLV balanced for that or is it purely a preference?
    Installation: WinXP Pro SP3, M2TW Kingdoms 1.5, DLV 5.80 beta 2. Playing as Poland.

I downsized to large after noticing that huge unit formations tend to get stuck in city streets and gate houses/walls during sieges.

I wouldn't mind that too much for my own troops only,already used to it, but it also happens to the AI on a regular basis.

Chapter 1: Conclusion
    Commander Jaunutis received word that there was a group rampaging the country side, showing no respect for the law or it's citizens. He took a small contingent with him and left the confines of the castle walls to deal with this matter personally.

His sentence was swift and unmerciful. Let this be an example to all that your actions will have consequences.

Meanwhile, the Prince took what was left of his army north. Now numbering under 1000 as he sent the rest off to garrison the remaining settlements as a threat was looming not far off. To the castle of Kuldiga he marched; unwavering and steadfast he set out to claim this region. He wouldn't have strength in numbers this time, but his men have proven themselves more than once.

It was a very bloody battle, casualties were high and the Prince himself nearly lost his life. But the day was yet again won by brave men with unyielding courage. Bringing one more province under the sovereign rule of Grand Duke Algimantas.

With it's people united, and trade established amongst the known factions this fledging people was on it's feet and prepared to enter the world. Algimantas was a fair ruler, just and kind. He led by example, not through fear. As did his son, Gytautas, who was now a seasoned warrior with multiple victories to his name. His men would do anything he asked without a second thought. It takes a great man to inspire such respect and loyalty.

Chapter 2: A show of force!
    But it was not time to relax as peace would not come so easily. To the west, the Germanic knights known as the Teutonic Order decided to remind us of their presence and dislike. They sent a messenger to deliver a threat to our people.

The settlement's leader, appointed by the Grand Duke himself, gave his reply:

The Prince enraged by the news of their threat would see to it that they would pay. He asked his father's friend, Skolmantas to head to the nearby Teuton settlement. Once there he did a good job of stirring up unrest, causing riots and it's garrison to dwindle. He sent word back to the Prince that the place is largely unguarded as the Teutonic army recently marched south.

Prince Gytautas took this opportunity to make good on the settlements leader's threat. For this mission he hired some of the local mercenaries as his men were needed else where. With his small force he quickly marched into enemy territory and assaulted the town of Königsberg where Prince Conrad of the Teutonic Order resided. No mercy would be shown to him or his men. Let the world know that Lithuanians protect their own and are a force to be reckoned with.

Despite their differing loyalties, one must still respect one's enemy. Prince Conrad, while outnumbered and hopeless, still showed that he was a formidable warrior. Slaying nearly 15 men himself before finally succumbing to his wounds.

During this battle, Skolmantas slipped away from the town and went off in search of the roaming Teutonic Army. He located them not far to the south of Königsberg. However, as he infiltrated their ranks he discovered that they knew not of Prince Conrad's death, nor the loss of his town. He too found out that the army recently bolstered their ranks by assimilating the garrison from castle Marienburg. He quickly sent news to Prince Gytautas of both the armies position as well as the depleted garrison at Marienburg. The Prince took this news with a smile and quickly marched south to the unprotected castle. Finding along the way a few more mercenaries to help accomplish the task.

Skolmantas, staying with the enemy army, quickly spread rumors of an impending invasion by sea. The captain in charge, being a paranoid sort, quickly ordered his army north to defend the coast. Thus leaving Marienburg without reinforcements.

Prince Gytautas quickly and decisively took over the castle, slaying the Leader of the Germanic Knights in the process. Almost eradicating the order's presence from this region. The world will know of these events, and those who wish to threat the Lithuanian people will think twice before doing so.

Last edited by StrikeQ; August 24, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"quickly spread rumors of an impending invasion by sea"

xd, isn't it lovely to tell all kinds of stories to explain the weird AI behaviour. Pretty successful expansion so far, I wonder where the vile pagan scum (no offense meant) will go next...

I'm going to restart this AAR once I find some time to play.

Settings will be VH/VH Bugfixer 03, extra Jihad/Crusade Targets and land bridges (going to use Default DLV AI/Units)
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Looking forward to a new version of this 'mazing AAR

StrikeQ,

when you have started that new campaign, please pm me about all the changes you had to make
    for example you will have a bodyguard of militia spearmen, some of the units are not recruitable and so on...

i would love to give lithuania a try, but there is so much to fix! and i'm too lazy....

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

@missu

Sorry I saw your request earlier about the General's units & was going to reply then totally forgot. Anyway I've changed the descr_strat so the Lithuanian Generals start off with NE Bodyguards which is correct according to the EDU. Back up your original because this is untested but it should work fine.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

Hate to sound like a noob (lol) but is editing the descr_strat save game compatible? Or do changes only take effect in a brand spanking new campaign?

Ps @ Abrocomos, man you really are for the DLV nutters, all this extra work and I can only give you 1 X rep per 24 hours....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast