Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Game, Eh? What about New forms of Victory?

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default New Game, Eh? What about New forms of Victory?

I've played Shogun and Medieval 2 Total War games, and in Shogun the victory conditions were several, and if I remember correctly, one dealt with conquering the entire world, the other dealt with surviving your faction for a set number of years, another dealt with destroying all other factions, and the last was some sort of mix-and-mash sort of deal, but you get the idea, it was varied. In Medieval 2, the victories are, #1 control set number of provinces and specific provinces and #2 is control set number provinces and destroy set factions. Blah Blah Blah. Always control here and destroy him, especially the current game.

What if there are different kinds of victory, and this thought was aroused by the ability to establish and control trade in India which seems to me like a new aspect, like a new goal in the game, not to mention slavery, technology, politics, industrialism, economy, revolutions, and so forth!

Below are the types of possible victory conditions:

~Destroy X Faction(s)
    ~Successfully overthrow X faction's leader through proxy and support
    ~Establish trade in X amount of settlements
    ~Produce X amount of money in X amount of time
    ~Capture X amount of settlements
    ~Train a Priest to become Pope
    ~Supply X faction with X amount of X item or soldiers

You get the idea, come on, brainstorm with me, the game is still in development, lets shove our ideas down the throats of CA/SEGA!!!

The AI factions should also get similar missions.

Praepositus

Default Re: New Game, Eh? What about New forms of Victory?

I agree totaly (WAR) !
    I would like to see to be able to win others faction and made them protectorats without needing to totaly destroy them.

Concurred, especially on trade. They say it's gonna be a brand new game, so the game goals better be something refreshing too.

I'd personally hope to see vassals included in victory conditions, I mean they're even harder than annihilation anyway why not? Just make sure vassalage is worth it this time... maybe add an feature to recruit troops from your vassals? Imagine recruiting Germans grenadiers while playing as France and invade Russia.

/goes on to preach vassal ideas in every thread

ooh I didn't see you at first jo, a fellow protectorate believer!

yes! protectorate is an excellent idea (and maybe they could have something like a british/dutch east india company event)...there is a lot of potential for some great campaign and diplomacy options here, let's hope CA makes the best of it, which is (not to be mean) more than i can say for M2TW and RTW

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

Attrition. Hold territory or fort for a certain length of time. Sometimes i wish I could play defensive against a very aggressive AI. Just sit there and upgrade and go through massive battle after massive battle. Maybe receive some rewards and things along the way to make it more interesting. Do some upgrading and things to keep you busy while you're in defensive mode.

It he update it says improved trade and diplomacy so the East India Trading company could certainly have a large role in a game mode. I like the sound of improved trade a lot.
    Last edited by Mountain_Commander; August 23, 2007 at 02:31 AM.

I would absolutely love to see GA return from MTW, but doubt it's going to happen
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Take a look at civ 4 and gal civ 2 for some good victory ideas.

I think some ideas to be part of victory could be:

Makeing your people very happy,
    Makeing other nations respect you,
    Makeing other nations want to join you,
    Having a majoir advance in technolodgy,

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Id like the system frm medieval (the first ne) bac.
    Where every nation had a cirtain set of objectives.
    The faction that gatherd the most points (by complesting the objectives) won.
    That way you didnt have to conquer the worled (wich gets very boring very quicly), and the outcome could actualy be somewhat historical.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

if this new game turns into a civilization or EU clone, I will probably pass on it.

Why even have "victory"? I think creating an empire should be much tougher than in previous games, you should be struggling just to maintain rather comfortably taking over the map.

The game should focus on dominating, not total victory.

craziii:
    I doubt CA will dismiss the victory of conquering the world, which is like the point of TW games...What we're asking for are merely some more options to win, other than just world domination.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah, I didn't mean for CA to leave its traditions wholly, but past TW games also had different victory conditions, and it didn't always have to relate to conquering the world and killing every breathing person in it, WTF!

But like I said, your help is needed, so brainstorm.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

This is straying away from what I think Total War games are about, and moving towards something more political and diplomatic. Perhaps it's the time period, but I don't think Empire should be a political and diplomatic game, with battles thrown it.

I believe that a total global victory should still be possible. It is what the TW games have been about. I do like the ideas fo the MTW glorious achiements thouh, that would be most welcomed if they did return. The MTW2 objectives are nice but having something slightly different from taking over 45 regions and certain factions would be a good change.

Having said that, I don't want E:TW to turn into a Civ game. Keeping the faction alive for so many years was a great enough achiement in my book, if we had to most cash or not, what ddi t matter? The glorious empire of C survived and that was enough enjoyment for me.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

But look here; if your main objective in every campaign is to take over the world; then won't you end up spending far too much time in one campaign with one faction and when you do finish it, you'll get tired of the game?

I stopped playing Shogun when I captured all provinces, same with M2TW. Honestly, there has to be more to the game, more diversity.

I hear so many cries about how boring the game GETS; and that can only mean that SOMETHING MUST CHANGE.

I'm not saying that the game should totally become Civ, but if Civ borrows TW battle ideas, then TW has the license to borrow SOME game concepts.

It wouldn't suck to see some depth and diversity, it wouldn't suck at all.

Oh no, I am not disagreeing with you on that Dahir. I'd love to see a different manifestation of a win myself; I just don't want it to become so focused on stats per se that that is all the game becomes on the macrocosm level. In battle stats matter a tad but in diplomacy and economics I'd like a freer reign.

Of course, if I don't like any new victory conditions (if they change/remove/add any that is) then I just won’t play them. I’m easy that way.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Praepositus

Default Victory conditions, rebels, religion reappearing of factions

Basically i would like to see victory contidions like in Mtw 1
    for example when palying as a weak nation yu have to just to keep your land and even
    capture a little more regions that historycally the faction had .

Also it would nice rebelions would work like in mtw able to choose sides for example in frech revolution monarchist and democratics or even the reappearing of exterminated factions.

also would like to see rebelsp priest that they would came out churches that are in your region and if yu want to stop them yu should destroy the church this would represent the religious conflicts among nations also with religion could be nationality and local schools or churches working to perseve nationality.

another nice idea is like the witches in mtw 2 to have rebels agents causing revolutions.
    Last edited by jo the greek; September 09, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

prince Poniatowski's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Victory conditions, rebels, religion reappearing of factions

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    Basically i would like to see victory contidions like in Mtw 1 for example when palying as a weak nation yu have to just to keep your land and even capture a little more regions that historycally the faction had .
    This is standard.

I want really strong insurrections of occupied nations. It will be more fun, if will be something like conversion of nations (like Romans).

COMMONWEALTH OF DIVERSE CULTURE
    S
    http://www.commonwealth.pl/

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Victory conditions, rebels, religion reappearing of factions

Every time somebody writes about MTW1 it sounds so much better than MTW2... Why the hell did they take away all those awesome features!?
    Hold 45 regions in my ass, no nations would have been able to do that in the medieval period.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast