Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We saw this coming?

Default We saw this coming?

We all should've seen this coming. When MTW2 was coming out, they said that they wouldn't do naval battles until they got it right (Or in other words a new engine).

Then CA said that the new game would be revolutionary and they wouldn't be going back to Rome...which obviously should've pointed out to something Imperial...

This is going to be great though. I enjoyed playing NTW mod but it just wasn't the same. MTW2 was nice in gunpowder but since we are dealing with early gunpowder it obviously wasn't that great. I've always enjoyed the tactics surrounding this era (Cannons especially).

The downside I'm reading from the articles are that cannons can explode and muskets can jam. That's going to suck a lot.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: We saw this coming?

I think yes, this was expected however IMO not this soon.
    I figured we would go through one more engine before getting it.
    Not that I'm complaining or anything.
    I'm happy that we are finally getting it.
    I was getting sick and tired of sword fighting anyway.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Wow, am I the only person who enjoys vicious sword-fights over musketmen and cannons? I dunno, it's just a personal thing but I like the ancient Roman and Medieval eras over this era.

That having been said, I think exploring and exploiting new continents sounds pretty cool. Same with fighting pirates on the open sea.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

The downside I'm reading from the articles are that cannons can explode and muskets can jam. That's going to suck a lot.
    Historically speaking the misfire rate for flintlock guns was around 1/12 to 1/15

Quote Originally Posted by ArPharazon View Post
    Wow, am I the only person who enjoys vicious sword-fights over musketmen and cannons? I dunno, it's just a personal thing but I like the ancient Roman and Medieval eras over this era.

That having been said, I think exploring and exploiting new continents sounds pretty cool. Same with fighting pirates on the open sea.
    Well there's still hand to hand combat since there's still the standard charge and fighting natives and cavalry.

You just got to fight more wisely.

Historically speaking the misfire rate for flintlock guns was around 1/12 to 1/15
    I'm not complaining. It's just it's going to suck when your in a jam and all of a sudden your unit cannot fire because their weapons jammed.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

The whole unit wont stop firing, only single soldiers will.

Come on fellers, standing there 50 yards and firing at one another and knowing that you will never know the enemy that kills you or shoves a 60 caliber ball through your leg is far more exciting! And think of the wonderful uniforms, the honour, the duty, the batons and marshals, la grande batterie, and the sound of the trumpets as the cavalry step into a canter for the charge. This was war at its most romantic!

I did not see this coming tbh, as I don’t think there is a large market for it. Hopefully though with the name and the pretty graphics (not a big deal to me but people like the “gee-whiz factor”) it’ll do well.

I only hope that the armies of these times are decently represented.

Vive l'empereur!
    To the Eternal Memory!

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Should have seen this coming? I don't think many of us were all that surprised, especially considering CA has said that they were waiting on naval battles until they could get it right, which suggests they were waiting for the new engine. If naval battles were in it was always going to be a post 1600s era.

Heh,

"Creative Assembly announced its new Total War PC instalment, Empire: Total War, at Games Convention today. "It's a revolutionary step forward for the game engine," said Simpson."

Damn right, revolutionary for the engine, same old for the gameplay. :S
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

? Are you going to keep making pessimistic posts? Same old gameplay? You're making assumptions. At least wait until they show screenshots.

Actually, I am anticipating the new naval combat a great deal. However... there is no real time strategic map... To me that says same old gameplay.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

preston's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    seconded. i enjoyed the gameplay. yes at times it got boring and the pathfinding was off but hell i've really enjoyed all the TW games and i've played them all. and i think this new one is going to be the best one yet and its nice to actually have a NEW game and not a modification of Rome: Total War.
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Meg View Post
    Come on fellers, standing there 50 yards and firing at one another and knowing that you will never know the enemy that kills you or shoves a 60 caliber ball through your leg is far more exciting! And think of the wonderful uniforms, the honour, the duty, the batons and marshals, la grande batterie, and the sound of the trumpets as the cavalry step into a canter for the charge. This was war at its most romantic!
    Hehehe.. agree! However I doubt that this poor bastard felt romantic when he recieved a kiss from a cannon during the Waterloo battle:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Ghillie; January 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Typos
    Taimse im' chodladh, agus ná dúisigh mé
    Mná na h-Éireann
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodey View Post
    Is not wierd dinosaur woman, but woman AND dinosaur. Not combined arms and legs into creature. Different unit. Player can learn teknologi for mount woman on dinosaur.

That hurts

"With such valorous troops, I could easily become King of Italy"
    Frederick II the Great, after the Piedmontese victory at the Battle of the Assietta (1747)

GTFO. Jamie's Avatar Decanus

i can see the combat with rifles/muskets being far more intresting then that with swords like in METW2...

For medieval, all you need to do is double click on the enemy and watch them brawl about for a a few minutes till you win. Strategy was minimal when it came to close quarters fighting... mostly depended on how many units you threw in.

Having lines of fire and most units armed with ranged weapons should present a bit more of a challenge.

And whilst real time strategy map could be fun, i dont think i would ever be able to keep track of things!!! Especially when i own about half of the world...

GTFO. Jamie's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    seconded. i enjoyed the gameplay. yes at times it got boring and the pathfinding was off but hell i've really enjoyed all the TW games and i've played them all. and i think this new one is going to be the best one yet and its nice to actually have a NEW game and not a modification of Rome: Total War.
    second that

am bored stiff with medieval and rome, am fed up with swords and archers!...

Hopefully they wont go back to doing another rome after this...

This is in my opinion one of the most interesting eras.
    HISTORIAN: THE FRONTIER

Indeed, I think that the 17002 are much more exciting then the medieval ages. An era were manuever and drill was most important, and the rightful positioning of soldiers and good use of reserves could decide a battle.
    Sons of Queen Dido, Warriors of Libye (EB AAR)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237765

A Carthagian AAR about the life of a Libyan Phoenician soldier in the army of Carthage, giving his own account and personal opinions of the battles and conquests Carthage undertakes.

I just know the epicness will blow your minds!!

Steel of Fury's Avatar Campidoctor

Having enjoyed the Sid Meier Civil War games and the Waterloo offshoot I'd have to say CA is in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast