Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Empire Preview & Interview (PC Gamer via CVG article)

CA Developer Icon Empire Preview & Interview (PC Gamer via CVG article)

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: Empire Preview & Interview

Now I just hope you can live up to the expectations you build
    How does the new AI work from a coding point of view?

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Good news, I hope the Ottomans are well made .

We can't comment on specifics of the AI or the code yet. When we get closer to release, we'll probably start a developer diary where we explain how things work in detail.

edders's Avatar Senator

Damn, this really is the least appealing timeframe to me (and I expect that regardless of the reality of the situation, a great many consumers would think the same - this kind of era isn't exactly hot property atm when you consider how Rome and Medieval were greatly helped by the resurgence of films based around similar settings).

I'm sure CA can make a great game, but I think they'll be bringing in customers with their reputation and the magazine hype rather than a lot of people thinking 'wow, I'd really love to play this kind of game'. Considering that my computer will only able to run games on medium/low settings within a year or so I think I'll give it a miss and pick up Viking instead .

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

http://ve3d.ign.com/images/game/9583...pire-Total-War did you guys see this screenshot in-game

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

It's true, this era isn't filled with the hollywood glamour that Rome and the Middle Ages got. But if you look at movies like Master & Commander and The Patriot, you'll see why it's damn cool to play. Also, the campaign game is a lot more interesting in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by edders View Post
    Damn, this really is the least appealing timeframe to me (and I expect that regardless of the reality of the situation, a great many consumers would think the same - this kind of era isn't exactly hot property atm when you consider how Rome and Medieval were greatly helped by the resurgence of films based around similar settings).

I'm sure CA can make a great game, but I think they'll be bringing in customers with their reputation and the magazine hype rather than a lot of people thinking 'wow, I'd really love to play this kind of game'. Considering that my computer will only able to run games on medium/low settings within a year or so I think I'll give it a miss and pick up Viking instead .

edders's Avatar Senator

Still, it doesn't really excite me. But maybe after viewing a couple of trailers I'll be convinced, so I guess I'll keep an open mind.

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

Your so right Thamis!
    This time frame is so damn cool! Its my favourite time period. I LOVE SHIPS! And i guess thats a reason you picked this time era, because making Naval battles... you want the best. And this is it. Ships were beauties in those days.

One thing is just worrying me, to much gunpowder.
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

The key battle of the era was Waterloo (but not the only battle: "Why does everyone always come back to bloody Waterloo?" Mike grumbles).
    Thanks to ABBA...?

-Der Ketzerfreund.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

More importantly, this is the period where Britain establishes it's superiority! woohoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by edders View Post

well i really couldn't care less if it's a popular era with the general public since i love this period, but like you said, CA will probably be able to move a lot of units based on their rep and all the magazine hype that is generated, but hey! what's wrong with that? if it gets more people to play the game and begin appreciating the period, everyone wins

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

Originally Posted by Thamis View Post
    It's true, this era isn't filled with the hollywood glamour that Rome and the Middle Ages got. But if you look at movies like Master & Commander and The Patriot, you'll see why it's damn cool to play. Also, the campaign game is a lot more interesting in this era.
    If it was just the Patriot I'd be off to play tiddly winks instead - a seriously uncool movie.

Question for CA.

How will factions that don't engage in the Industrial Revolution be modelled playable? Surely they will be at a serious disadvantage? After all it is the technological, cultural and social changes that were happening in the West which allowed it to dominate and create these empires. Can you play as India/Persia/Ottoman Empire? Do your troops stop at a certain level?

Does Britain get a head start on the Industrial Revolution?
    Last edited by La Vache Qui Rit; August 22, 2007 at 06:18 AM.

We're balancing all factions to be viable. Some might be stronger than others, due to their starting position though, of course. This is what we've always done in TW!

Yes, but some factions in M2TW weren't balanced, Egypt didn't have a proper army, for example.

But still, I think you'll do a great job with all factions this time!

Are technologies going to be linked to buildings as usual, or will they come at the same time for all/most factions, allowing the AI factions to progress at nearly the same rate as the player?

I hate in M2TW, having armies of pikemen, cannons, and musketeers, and fighting armies of spear militia and peasant archers..

The AI should have similar era armies when fighting the player.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Very, very, nice

I must admit that this is one of my favourite periods of history, though, so I'm a tad biased

...I must also be one of the few people to dislike the even balancing of factions; while it's a nice idea, it removes the possibility for a player to 'set their difficulty' based on their faction choice

Are technologies going to be linked to buildings as usual, or will they come at the same time for all/most factions, allowing the AI factions to progress at nearly the same rate as the player?

I hate in M2TW, having armies of pikemen, cannons, and musketeers, and fighting armies of spear militia and peasant archers..

The AI should have similar era armies when fighting the player.
    Please, god, no

Linking AI advancement to that of the player instantly removes any incentive to tech up
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

But how realistic is it for the german army in the 1500s to be composed of spear militia and peasant archers, while fighting the french army composed of pikement and muskets?

Trouble with allowing one nation to do better than another, is that the player almost always becomes that nation. If I want to, in M2TW I can have the best tech, own the entire college of cardinals, be most superior in my alliance system, and thus get anything I want, all at the same time, and in every game.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    More importantly, this is the period where Britain establishes it's superiority! woohoo!!
    Ohh the British Pride, never ceases to amaze me. ...And the amount of tea being consumed daily.

Well, the solution there lies in programming the AI correctly, not cheating for it
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast