Thread: An European Faction? NO! Here's why.

Default An European Faction? NO! Here's why.

Before I make my suggestion i'd like to know wath is the time frame covered by Ran no Jidai.

It may seem weird because not many people know that, but it's true.
    (you're curious aren't you ? )

Seijitai's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: A suggestion

The mod starts in 1524 and goes until 1600 (maybe 1615).

IT start's a little to soon before that event .
    What I was going to propose is if you could include an european faction, and that faction would be Portugal. I don't know if you know that ( or maybe you do) but the portuguese funded the city of nagasaki (known for that infamous event) and intruced the musket to the samurai kind of warfare, revolucinazing it.
    this would be very interesting because we always think ''how would a battle be with samurais against european soldiers?''
    this might be a little to late as you might have already chosen the factions but none the same, here it is a suggestion.

And good work,this mod is just turning out great, five star quality(maybe 6)

Portugal will be present ingame, through the introduction of "commercial partnership", christianism, and the first models of arquebuses... But Portugal, afaik, never sent troops to fight with/against samurais... But you'll really feel the european influence...

Quote Originally Posted by Seijitai View Post
    Portugal will be present ingame, through the introduction of "commercial partnership", christianism, and the first models of arquebuses... But Portugal, afaik, never sent troops to fight with/against samurais... But you'll really feel the european influence...
    yes I think they never had real battles because portuguese expansion wasn't very agressive, but because they had a colony in nagasaki I thought that would be interesting (I understand that you don't want to see Japan ruled by an European power) but what you said means Portugal won't be a playable faction , right? (sorry that didn't understand well)

Just one more thing thank you in japanese (horigato I think) comes from the portuguese ''obrigado'' so to add to all those things of european influence

Nope, no Portuguese faction, but Portuguese influence and a few buildings relying on it...

It would have been too difficult to send an invasion army through the sea... Sending a 10.000 soldiers army would have meant a huge cost, and the probability to see 70% dying on the way from decease, storm and so...

Well it would be difficult to send if it meant going from the capital to nagasaki, but because they had lot's of colonies in africa, india, china, indonesia and so it wouldn't be too that hard.
    (you made your point i'm merely discussing it now)

Um, when exactly did Portugal made a colony in Japan?

Nagasaki wasn't a Portuguese colony... They established a port in the small town of Nagasaki with the help of a converted Daimyo...

About India, China and so... We are talking here of trading ports, not of full "colonisation"... I'm not sure Portugal would have tried to send a whole army to conquer a country at their opposite in the globe...

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Hmm I read something about this in the book called "Shogun"

Edit: not that Im saying it historicaly Accurate or sumthin

LennStars little history lesson: early trade ports:

1542 (1543) Portuguese arrived in Japan - Island Tanegashima (southern of Kyushu) -> japanese Name for Arquebuse
    1545 trading startet. Trade ports varied greatly, depending on the Daimyo, who wanted to get them fascinating wares
    1550-1560 mostly Kagoshima
    1560 Hirada and Fukuoka
    1571 Nagasaki was opened and quickly became the main port

Later (1641) europeans were restricted to a small, build island named Dejima. Only there they were allowed to enter Japan. To the twon itself only with permission and not alone.
    Dont forget: 1587 Hideyoshi orded the Christians to be thrown out. It was the end of the "christian century" as it is often called. It was a really short century if you ask me
    Ran no Jidai Mod Finishing Time: It's done when it's done! Don't ask questions about finishing-time.
    Better train your Samurai!

More than likely a good decision on Hideyoshi's part once Christians grow strong in an area they seem to get a lot more violent towards non christians.

Quote Originally Posted by LennStar View Post
    LennStars little history lesson: early trade ports:

1542 (1543) Portuguese arrived in Japan - Island Tanegashima (southern of Kyushu) -> japanese Name for Arquebuse
    1545 trading startet. Trade ports varied greatly, depending on the Daimyo, who wanted to get them fascinating wares
    1550-1560 mostly Kagoshima
    1560 Hirada and Fukuoka
    1571 Nagasaki was opened and quickly became the main port

Later (1641) europeans were restricted to a small, build island named Dejima. Only there they were allowed to enter Japan. To the twon itself only with permission and not alone.
    Dont forget: 1587 Hideyoshi orded the Christians to be thrown out. It was the end of the "christian century" as it is often called. It was a really short century if you ask me
    can you tell me were did you get that information? I would like to know a little more about it
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lebre View Post
    can you tell me were did you get that information? I would like to know a little more about it
    thanks
    I know most of this, but I got the exact dates from a german book.
    Fischer Weltgeschichte: Das japanische Kaiserreich
    Its more than 30 years old but the books "Weltgeschichte" are very good to get an overview. (And I remembered that the ports were half a page and easy to find so I looked there)
    Since it is written by Prof. John W. Hall there could be an english version.

You could also try wikipedia. The german is quite good on japanese history (long tradition in germany like Siebold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Franz_von_Siebold , and many students seem to write there), I dont know about the other languages.
    Just looked, the page on Dejima is really big.
    Ran no Jidai Mod Finishing Time: It's done when it's done! Don't ask questions about finishing-time.
    Better train your Samurai!

Tanegashima's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos32 View Post
    More than likely a good decision on Hideyoshi's part once Christians grow strong in an area they seem to get a lot more violent towards non christians.

I find that to be an extremely unfair statement, especially given the way the Christians were persecuted, threatened and ordered to apostatize vt Hideyoshi. Those who did not were often tortured brutally.

see: Christian Century in Japan by Charles Ralph Boxer

also the book Silence by Shusaku Endo gives an interesting perspective on christianity under the daimyo...

Not saying that they would not have been violent, but unlikely anymore so than they already were...

They were treated no worse than Pagans and Heretics(often they weren't bad people) at the hands of Christians.
    Last edited by Kamos; August 22, 2007 at 08:58 PM.

Hideyoshis' ban of Christianity came from fear towards European power.
    He feared that European power was using Christianity as a mean of starting invasion(quite rightly so I'd say).
    But that does not change the fact that oppression of Christians under Tokugawa Shogunate was extremely brutal.