Thread: Is MTW worth buying?

Freddy Krueger's Avatar Libertus

Default Is MTW worth buying?

My first TW game was Rome, followed by M2TW. So I was wondering is it worth getting MTW? Is it a good game, putting aside graphics and diplomacy?

Freddy Krueger is eagerly awaiting Empire: Total War to be released.

Default Re: Is MTW worth buying?

its a blast from the past and pretty damn cheep now but after the graphics of the last 2 it might be a backward step. i played it again recently butu got bored quite quick. like i said though its so cheep it doesnt matter
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Yes.

I would buy it. You will get bored of it, but it is fun to play sometimes. There is no game that you don't get bored of eventually.

And its also cheap nowdays.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Yeah, it's really cheap, like 15 euro in the local store. Will I be able to get a week or two gaming out of it? And are the battles just as big? Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
    Yeah, it's really cheap, like 15 euro in the local store. Will I be able to get a week or two gaming out of it? And are the battles just as big? Thanks for the help.
    Yes indeed! Fantastic graphics and everything...belive me you won't be ssorry!

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

You should definitely get it.

Cordially, Lord Romanus III

elcid123's Avatar Libertus

yeah it was a great game in its time but after what youve seen in rome and m2tw, i dont know if you would enjoy the battles and campaign map as much.

but mtw does have a totally different feel to it. much darker.

i guess you never know. you might like it. and for 5-10 bucks it might be worth it.

Asking to buy Medieval 2: Total War on this forum is like asking a car salesman "should I buy this car?" So I will be the less obvious and say no until this game is finished.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

^Indeed, well spoken lol. I would recommend MTW and I find the diplomacy much better.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Custom User Title
    Citizen

Question: is it worth getting MTW?
    Answer: Yes,

Diplomacy in MTW1 is cool, it feels like you are the king and emissaries come to you to beg your favour, but there's really no diplomacy involved. Who cares if you are at war or not...

But the game is still lots of fun.

The battles don't have good graphics per se, but somehow they look and feel awesome. Like, you get to use your imagination to picture how the battle would look, instead of going just by what the computer can show.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

A game where the ai is competent enough to be worth a threat, even umodded the ai can surprise your butt, besdies..unlike mtw2,mtw you can spam crusades

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

RTW is the best games but just not good graphics (Roma surrectum very good)
    MTWII is ok but quick tired of that..very good graphics
    MTW...hmmm,Nope just dead!

hope just RTW2 super good with super good graphics
    Last edited by Baxon7; August 11, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Get MTW for the experience. It has so many good aspects that were completely lost when RTW and M2TW came along. You can tell that the series once believed in quality campaigns (MTW), but sacrificed this for graphics (M2TW). You will be shocked by a.) this turn for the worse, and b.) how good an old game could be compared to the newer versions...

All right thanks for you help all, I will get MTW, I just need to know what it's like. Thank you again.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Baxon7 View Post
    MTWII is ok but quick tired of that..very good graphics
    MTW...hmmm,Nope just dead!

hope just RTW2 super good with super good graphics
    MTW: Best. None can top it.

Short answer: yes, get it

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Medieval Total War offers much better gameplay (except in a few respects) than M2TW, but the graphics are indeed worse

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

It is the game that ruined the TW series.

MTW: Best. None can top it.

Wrong. VI is the best ever.

Can I ask if you play mp? In that case nothing comes close to VI other than a mod for it called NTW1. By far the greatest game or mod ever made..

So if you get MTW be sure to get the expansion pack.Viking Invasion. Its MTW with all the bugs removed and more factions and eras. You could also go for TW Eras that has that plus STW and RTW with all versions.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Bah, that's what I meant

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    Get MTW for the experience. It has so many good aspects that were completely lost when RTW and M2TW came along. You can tell that the series once believed in quality campaigns (MTW), but sacrificed this for graphics (M2TW). You will be shocked by a.) this turn for the worse, and b.) how good an old game could be compared to the newer versions...
    Agreed. Things like civil wars and and religion play an extremely important part, yet in RTW they were totally missed out, then BI made a half assed attempt to incorporate them. Even in M2TW, they are no where near as good and polished as they were in MTW... so many things matter in MTW that simply do not in M2TW. I would say that RTW hit the lowest that a TW game has been, M2TW was a vast improvement, but still has a long way to go to catch up on the game play of MTW.

With MTW you get the feeling that CA wanted to make a masterpiece of gaming, that they wanted the best strategy game possible - and, in most respects, I would say they succeeded! - regardless of graphics. RTW was a dumber, simpler version with Vin Diesel as its star and lots of fancy special effects, but lacked substance... I have not went back to RTW since M2TW came out, yet I still play MTW, in fact I still played MTW since, well, as soon as I got it. Never gave up on it. Got frustrated at times when it would refuse to run on my hardware, yes, got frustrated at the lack of an ability to cancel alliances, uh uh, but never have I gotten fed up of the chessboard style campaign map, as each time I play it I get a vastly different experience. RTW was quite linear, when you look back at it: the same Empires would nearly always dominate; the Roman factions would conquer everything eventually, but the Egyptians would build a large empire as well, and either the Germans or Britons would build another Empire. None of that on MTW...

So, yes, ****ing buy it! NOW!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.