Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] A Saka Story

Default [EB AAR] A Saka Story

Spring 272BC

It is not a promising start. Just one settlement in the north, Chighu with a pop. of 2500 and a cash deficit of -4202 this turn. I will need to make massive cuts in the army. Mountains hide any knowledge of the lands close to Chighu but in the south of my land the country is open and better for horses and here lies the small town of Bith-Kath, too inviting to ignore. I have an army led by the noble Aryandes close by so first battle comes early and the forces are about evenly matched.

I was correct this is excellent open flat country for horse-archers but things will be harder inside the village. First i must wait for the rain to stop, it will be better for my archers.

Battle begins with the enemy approaching slowly with their own horse-archers using close formation. Foot archers in open order and circling Saka Nobles are sent to eliminate them. It soon becomes clear that foot archers have the lower life expectancy. With their first attack neutralised my archers move in closer - they have many targets clustered around the central plaza - good shooting. The enemie's archer/spearmen answer but the fight is not an equal one. They seem a poor unit, with the help of horse-archers they are quickly thinned away.

As the arrows fall on the spearmen they foolishly react by charging - what a gift.

200 charge, one minute later perhaps 30 flee back to the village. Now few remain but my arrows are in short supply. As the expensive Saka Nobles will be disbanded after the battle they are expendible so they get to enter the village to finish off the last of the spearmen and riders. Their performance is not commendable but with a little help from the Noble Bodyguard - victory.

The poor peasants no longer have any protection - i need all the loot i can get so there is no room for mercy - they are put to the sword. Aryandes seemingly has a conscience however as he is having sleepless nights about it. (and -1 h.p. - bugger)

After victory sadly must come disbandment. The Saka Nobles each cost 874 a turn, three times the cost of ordinary horse-archers so they must go. Also go units too far from the action - things start to look better. The king orders our remaining forces move towards the south keeping a minimal presence in Chighu. War with Bactria must come soon - we are just too poor to hold off for any length of time.

Summer 272BC

Suprisingly i managed to end the turn in profit but finances are still terrible so war with Bactria must come soon. My forces continue to group.

There is no money to spare, Chighu is open and nearly defenceless but i must hope its remoteness keeps it safe. No money for walls, but the distances involved are too great for help to get there anyway.

Autumn 272BC

My diplomat has traveled across the wide wastes to seek peace with the Pahlava offering trade and our assurance of peaceable intentions.

It looks like they seek conflict, i hope not too soon their cataphractoi scare the crap out of me (armour 36 !)

Better news - a suitable husband has been found for the kings daughter. Vasula, may our countless enemies learn to tremble at his name.

Winter 272BC

Re-enforcements arrive from the north, now we have an army of invasion, i feel optomistic for the endevour ahead. Our spys in Bactria say the town of Samarkanda is fat and rich and will fall to our horsemen. Their armies are composed mainly of spearmen so will fall easily to our arrows. Their heavy noble cavelry will not go down so easily though i guess.

Hah they complain of our transgression - they threaten us with their swords - they will have their chance soon enough. We march on Samarkanda. I look forward to the new year and rich prizes.

Laetus

Default Re: A Saka Story

Good beginning, Davidicus, I'm glad to see a Saka AAR. What are your home rules if you have some?

Once you have the Reforms I could send you a corrected EDB in order to be able to build local MIC and units (the campaign becomes boring if you must contend with only Sarmatian HA, Saka Riders and Nobles and Saka archers)
    Last edited by tristuskhan; August 09, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

very interesting faction choice u also managed your finances as the saka very well and the AAR is good so far.

Laetus

[quote=eggthief;2048530] u also managed your finances as the saka very well /quote]

Not so sure, IMO, it's better to make expensive units die an useful way killing foes than just disbanding them!
    But if I remember well in my Saka campaign the worst debt I had was 45000 mnai and it was eighty turns before I recovered

thats what I meant, but when I stay in debt I will cheat (I know its lame but i cant weight 80 turns), thats why I rather play bigger factions like carthage or eipeiros. if i were davidicus I would have picked the sarumautre (sp?), since the reform is bugged for the saka and they suffer from not being able to trade with regions outside of the map (yet).

Laetus

Do you know the Saka reforms bug can be fixed with a bit of patience? Make a backup of the EDB first, then search for the buildings that require " and NOT saka reform", it's by the end of this long, long text. Delete the "not" (keep a space between "and" and "saka").
    Then, saka reformed units are supposed to require vanilla marian reforms -if I remember well they are the only ones to need so.Toooo bad: delete the requirement " and marian reform" at the end of their lines (don't forget the space before it!). Save and exit, voilą voilą!
    Just don't forget to backup the original file before that, in order to use it again if you want to play Sarmatae or Hayasdan (not sure about the last)

The Saka Nobels seem to be priced very high, i guess they are regarded as an elite unit but looking at their stats thats not really the case. Sarmatians have more firepower for 1/3 the cost and i think its going to be critical mass of arrows that will win the battles, i dont think i will be hireing any for some time. Besides with all the arrows, javlins and pikes around i think cavalry, even heavy cavalry are going to have a very hard time of it.

Can someone explain to me what the reform is - in what way will i get reformed.

Also for the future if i succeed in India how will i get hold of the best units available from the region (in other words how do i get my hands on some elephants)

Any advise on making friends with the Seleucids -after Bactria i want to go east but i really need peace in the west first.

Have i managed to choose the only faction that does not work properly for my first campaign ?

Laetus

Yes you did, but it's worth fixing it. If you don't you won't be able to build any local units. Check the EB FAQ for reform requirements, but if you don't mod the EDB, these reforms are useless.
    If you do mod the EDB, you'll be able to train many local units (including eles and indian longbowmen) and a few kickass unique Saka reformed units (some tough armoured hoplites, peltasts, heavy cav). I'm sorry you'll have to fix the EDB yourself since it's 10mb and the attachments can only be 1mb, I can't send it to you...

EDIT: how stupid I am, I just needed to compress it, so I can send a .rar file to anyone who wants the corrected text file. I just need an adress.
    Last edited by tristuskhan; August 10, 2007 at 05:09 AM.

cheers

please send to yorkshiredave2002@yahoo.co.uk

Laetus

Done, now you just have to fulfill the requirements for reforms, build allied government and you will be able to build local MIC.

well I doubt that u could ever recruit elephants without going into a heavy debt, but with the other reformed units (mainly the phalanx units) u become a very strong faction.

Summer271bc

Our advance on Marakanda continues. The Bactrians answer our transgression by grouping all available units in and around Marakanda. Excellent we will be able to destroy them all at once. No need to delay, lets have war.

The enemy seek to trap us with a pincer movement. In the center Diodotos, son to the Bactrian king sits baiting us, surrounded by his chosen heavy cavalry. He looks very confident in all that pretty armour.

To the right the local ruler, Patrokles of Marakanda looks anything but confident as he slowly walks towards us screened by spearmen. To the left a host of infantry issue from the gates of Marakanda. If none return the town is ours.

Diodotos is a fool. Our heavy cavalry outnumber his two to one, at least until the rest of his army arrives. We charge, he is beset from three sides at once. This is an important moment as noble clashes with nobel for the first time. Perhaps the whole campaign will be decided here if my elite perform badly. I need not fear for the outcome is swifter than hoped for. Diodotos lies dead, thrust though with spear, the few who choose not to die with their lord flee as fast as they can.

No time to celebrate as the host of Marakanda approaches to the left, we turn to meet them. Now is the time of the horse-archers, bow against armour, i hope we have arrows enough. We have all the mobility and with it the initative. We move swiftly to encircle the ponderous infantry, arrows pierce them from all sides.

It is slaughter, none must be allowed to live, none do.

Finally Petrokles the snail arrives at the battle,there is nothing left for him but to hide behind his spearmen. The last of our arrows are fired off. The heavy cavalry form up for the charge.

Near 200 unstoppable riders, the earth trembles as we charge. Impact is devastating, the infantry shattered and flung thought the air. What few remain, broken and routing. Still Petrokles does not move. Horns sound to reform the cavalry. Now Petrokles comes, he sees our tails.

200 riders turn as one, Petrokles and his men are engulphed in a wave of heavy horsemen.

They fight for no more than a few seconds before fear takes over and they flee, Petrokles always at the front.

The battle is won.

Petrokles the snail makes it to Marakanda and barrs the gate against us. I was a fool to include no foot soldiers with my host. I have no one to assault the gate. Just 10 men hold that fat town against me. But my spy is close at hand. He infiltrates the town that night. The next morning the gates lay open for us, praise to the sun-god, death to the Bactrians.

The pillage is good.

Autumn 271bc

our emisary reaches the Seleucids requesting peace and trade between our peoples but the so called king of king rebukes us. So be it. We learn the Seleucids are weak in the east, weaker even than the Bactrians.

In our new province the people still cause trouble. Our king decides to make Marakanda his new capital, better to keep an eye on the peasants.

The army reforms. New units arrive from the north. We are stronger than before and ready to advance on Baktra. Our spies tell us the city is rich, far richer than Marakanda. Baktra will finally solve my cash problem. As we approach we see them recruiting massively all the mercenaries they can.

Winter 271bc

We reach the crossing of the oxus. Ahead a large army composed mainly of Noble cavalry, archer/spearmen and persian archers barrs the advance on Baktra. It seems they learn quickly. But perhaps they have become overconfident with their size. If i sit on the crossing and they choose to attack, it could be another great day for our people.

nice, u play the saka campaign better than I did.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE SAKA!!! I have played the romans, arverni, and hai, but the Saka I LOVE!! I use ranged units techniques and none of the western factions have good/any horse-archers, boo. well i tried out saka, and SCORE!!! I only use horse archers now, with five groups of archers, for seiges of course. so far i have wiped out baktria, and have set my eyes on parthia!!! FALL BEFORE MY ONSLAUGHT OF ARROWS AND SPEAR!!!
    Member of FAITH

I judged them correctly - they come against the crossing with all their available force. Even the Bactrian king rides in the rear. We form-up ready to recieve them with a storm of arrows.

Unlucky spearmen form the van, the bridge is awash with their blood but they make the crossing only to break and flee back again from the torrent of death around them. Now the heavy phalanxes cross on mass. The greeks wear better armour, they make the crossing in better form.

Suddenly from the dense press of foot soldiers a tight group of heavy cavarly rides out to counter the storm, it is Menander, commander of the Bactrian infantry, ordered by his king to take the bridge the any cost. Immediately we counter.

The battle is intense, always the deadly pikemen are present but the noble bodyguard breaks and flees before they can form-up to help. Our light cavalry ride him down and grind his bloody corpse into the soil. At the the death of their lord the pikemen turn and begin to retreat. But our king wants their blood too. It is our turn to cross the gore soaked bridge to turn their retreat into a rout.

The bridge is forced and our heavy units disperse onto the other bank. Two enemy units of spearmen, badly mauled in the crossing are soon broken and slaughtered, just one almost intact phalanx of pikemen remain, surely they will break too if hit with enought stength.

We badly under-estimated their resolve. Three times we charge home from all sides, three times they resist. More and more valiant warriors are lost and still they will not break. One last charge, king Sapalbizes insist on leading from the front, the first to impact upto the brave greeks no-one can withstand him, they are slaughtered to a man.
    Our king lies dead too.

No time to weep more Bactrians press towards the crossing, this time king Theodotos Baktrios himself will command the assault. We must seek for more arrows

He commands the cream of the Bactrian infantry, three phalanxes of medium mercenary pikemen. They storm the crossing in the face of intense fire.

They stand confused, how do pikemen assault nimble horse-archers. It is slaughter again. When the arrows are finally finished just a few greeks are left for the cavalry. The great king never crossed the bridge. He rides back to the safety of his walls.

Spring 270bc
    We have lost Marakanda. The garrison were bribed to allowed the bactrians back in. A bitter blow to loose it in such a cowardly manner. Finances look bleak again, still Baktra is the real prize. We advance and invest the city. Inside lay an army twice the size of ours. I dont think it will be a long seige.

To slay them all cannot be an option. I must look for a way to sieze the gates and hold them. First task is to use our precious arrows as best we can.

We spread out but more to the right wing, There too is our new king Aryandes, victor of Marakanda. He has placed the dangerous task of leading the Bactrians away from their gates upon his own shoulders.
    The Bactrian king finally finds some courage. He leads the host of the Bactrain heavy cavalry out ahead of the foot soldiers. When they are well ahead we attack. The fight is bitter. Always defeat is inevitable, they just have too many men.

Away on the left our arrows have all been fired but not to no avail. Their spearmen and skirmishers are badly depleated, now is the time to attack. Noble Vonones leads the charge and the enemy breaks and runs for the nearby gates.

We get there first, the enemy is butchered, the gates are ours. Vonones charges for the central plaza, two units of light cavalry run to sieze the other gates. Inside Baktra only a few horsemen protect the city. Now it is just a matter of time.
    Back on the right things do not go so well. Even Aryandes, the greatest warrior on earth cannot prevail against such numbers. Sometimes it is most prudent to flee.

King Bactrios gives chase oblivious to the fact he has already lost his city, and probably his country.

We are not in a mood for mercy.

Summer 270bc
    Baktra is truely a rich prize, swimming in silver from the many mines. Aryandes in his wisdom chooses to install an allied government there to better exploit its wealth. It is also made his new capital although the old center of our lands will still be of great importance as our only recruiting ground for now.

Spring 269bc
    Our spies tell us the Pahlava and Seleucids both converge on Marakanda looking for an easy victory. I dont want war with pahlava,i hope the seleucids get there first, better still i hope thay slaughter each other. Still my lands are split in too. After re-building the army my intention was to turn east and look for more riches on the Indus but the movement of Seleucid troops to Marakanda has provided too good an oppotunity to miss. We ride west.

Margiane is another rich prize. Fine pastures for our horses. Our people swiftly begin to migrate there. Mercenaries are common in these parts. It is easy now to afford them so they can guard the settlements allowing the horsemen to remain mobile. Things have never looked so promising for the future. We begin to build a second army in the north.

Summer 269bc

The Seleucids respond more quickly than i expected, we are attacked.

It was intended to be a simple skirmish. Fire off all our arrows to best effect then fall back without loss but they brought slingers with them and they took a heavy toll. A good lesson that things do not always go the way you plan and sarmatians do have their weaknesses.

Foolishly they come again.

No retreat this time, it is a fight to the death

We dedicate their blood to the sun god.

268bc

After the battle for Margiane our spies tell us Ariane is now vunerable and close at hand - another rich prize. A large army stands near
    but it is poor in quality.

The hilly terrain did not wholey suit our tactics. Nor are the mercenary skirmisher cavalry as good as our own. We will use them only as
    long as we must. The steppe riders are outstanding, they may even be worth their price.

We have a new ally, the aegyptians fight the Seleucids, we must send word to them.

Ariane will be ours.

Again we must put the people to the sword. This is now becoming a problem. We no longer lack money but the population of our regions is
    badly lacking. A better quality horseman - the Saka rider has now become available and will be the unit of choice from now on.

The next target seems a rich one indeeed. Our spies tell us Prophthasia is nearly as rich as Baktra. The Seleucids know it and seek to
    defend strongly. Time to bring up my new army which has amassed in the north.

266bc

No sooner does my northern army begin the ride south than they are beset by an army of renegade saka. The fight is bloody. They are
    annhialated but we suffer losses which require the army to return again to our recruiting grounds. Precious time is lost.

The Pahlava seek to take Marakanda. Their renewed activity worries me - now is not the time for war with these people. Our spies tell us
    they have a large army available but seek only to use it for defence at this time.

It is a serious attack. The main Pahlava army has divided with a strong force of infantry heading straight for Margiane. Our horses gallope
    swifty to meet the threat.

The two allies work well together. While we are distracted at Margiane the seleucids move to retake Ariane. Swift battle again.

For some reason the Pahlava beseiging Marakanda have returned to the north when they could have had easy victory. Perhaps their losses at
    Margaine will keep them in check for some time.

265bc

First battle for Prophthasia

Second battle for Prophthasia

Third battle for Prophthasia

It will be wise to return the army to the recruiting grounds to bring up numbers. Prophthasia can wait a little longer.

264bc

Our northern army finally arrives, its first task to re-take Marakanda

The Pahlava continue to keep their distance.

263bc

Then Eschate in the Fergana valley

We now have more money each turn than can be prudently spent. Our armies continue to slowly grow as poulation allows.

are u close to getting the reform?

I think so. After taking Prophthasia i suddenly got lots of new troop types. Saka riders look good. Better value for money than Saka Nobles.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

holy smoke, you steamrolled the eastern fringes of AS!!!

hey, whoever has the fixed EDB file send it to me
    Last edited by Paul d; October 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast