Thread: Generalised battle load bug (CTD)

Default Generalised battle load bug (CTD)

I am playing Medieval 2 with the latest patch. Being an avid player of the various wonderful Mods I have been hindered by a battle load bug which results in a CTD. I have noticed that it is common to a number of Mods I have played, but not all, and have partial notes on the issue. I am wondering if the bug is common to Mods which have a mash up of add ons/other mods.

The problem: when the battle screen loads, it gets part way and then there is an audible ping and a black screen with the rotating hourglass. Nothing further happens. When I press ESC the desktop appears and there is no Windows dialog on screen saying what the ping is about.

These are the Mods with which I have had this issue:
    DLV 3.2 w .3 bugfix Playing as Mongols and happened well into game.
    Stainless Steel 4 - happened on first battle playing as Russians.
    Darth 1.4b - think it happened on first battle - probably playing as Russians but am not sure.
    Regions and Provinces 2.3 - uninstalled on 020607 so this was some time ago.

All the Mods mentioned below are recent versions.

Mods which I may have had the issue with - only partial notes:
    Clouds Across Europe

Mods which I have not had the issue with and have played a lot:
    Pro Deo Et Rege

Mods which I have not had the issue with and have played a moderate amount:
    Big Map
    Road To Jerusalem
    Portvcale
    The Long Road

Hopefully I have out this in the right forum - as I am unsure if it is a Mod issue or my computer, and it applies to a number of Mods, I figured this is probably the best place to post.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Generalised battle load bug (CTD)

Did you delete the geography files when you unpacked?

Default Re: Generalised battle load bug (CTD)

Hello GrnEyedDvl,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. It is appreciated.

No, I did not delete those files - I just ran the installs as instructed for each mod.

Since I wrote the post, I have some more information.

After the DLV3.2 battle crash I played Big Map 0.99 latest version for a while (no problems) and then DLV 4 was released.

Recently installed DLV 4 and also NetFramework 3.5 (I had NF3). Now running Bugfixer .01 for DLV4 and will install BF.02 tonight. (DLV3.2 battle crash was on Net Framework 3).

I have got much further with DLV this time and the battle load bug has not reappeared. Hoping it never reappears of course, however have no idea what was causing it and whether it will recur with the other mods. Hopefully NF3.5 fixed it. Likely to play DLV for some time now and if the bug recurs will probably just play Big Map until the Expansion is released.