Thread: [RTR AAR] Makedonia Ascendant (lost save, ended)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default [RTR AAR] Makedonia Ascendant (lost save, ended)

MAKEDONIA ASCENDANT: The AAR

Some of you may remember me from the SPQ-Rtr forum AAR, as Lucius Aurelius Lepidus (I think that was my name anyway). Well today I start my not so monumental yet completely un-groundbreaking AAR.

Here's some house rules:

1. I must play each character as their traits show them. For example, if my general has a bravery trait, I might have him lead the first charge in a battle. A cowardly trait might have him sitting behind the lines of battle surrounded by elites like hypaspistai.

2. No starting foreign wars with anyone but Greece.

3. No extermination in Greece.

4. No cheating (obvious)

5. I'm out of ideas....

I will write this in the traditional 3rd person limited style, however, later on I will switch to first person. It will become apparent later for what reason I will do this.

The mod I'm using is RtR platinum 1.9 with Marcus Camillius' 4tpy mod.

First update should probably come late tonight or tommorow.
    Last edited by Winter; August 06, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Makedonia Accendant (AAR)

MAKEDONIA ASCENDENT: PROLOGUE

Antigonos Gonatas, the King of the mighty Macedonian Empire. Well, once mighty. Things are not as they were under the great Alexander. His empire is fragmented, dissolved, and his friends and generals now fight over it's remains.

But this will change. It must change. Mighty Alexandros must turn in his grave at the sight of this. Antigonos knows this, and he knows that it will be his line to re-unite the empire of Alexander. But first, he must deal with the problems at hand, for one, finding his heir.

Damasos Gonatas was the temporary governor of Pella, capital of the Empire, in his father's absence. He has always envied his father's power, and he does not mind mentioning this. Antigonos has always felt that he does not have what it takes to restore the line of Alexander to its rightful prominence.

Euenus Gonatas is the youngest son of Antigonos, and has been relegated to governing the border town of Bylazora. While this perceived exile has made him slightly bitter towards his father, he has tried desperately to impress Antigonos. To some extent, he has succeeded, and Antigonos sees that he is the best governing talent in the kingdom.

Demitrius Gonatas is a great general, having distinguished himself in battle against a rebel army. Antigonos realizes that the fight to retake the Alexandrian empire will be mainly military based, and this trait will not go unnoticed by Antigonos. Also, he has far more influence with his father, which may assist him in gaining the throne.

The task of returning the Macedonian throne to its former glory is a daunting one. If the Antigonoid line is to succeed, it will have to defeat many foes, from the cunning Ptolemies to the powerful heirs of Seleucus, even the Greco-Baktrian kingdom of the far east. Of course, none of this will happen while the Greek cities remain free. He would have to take Greece and Epirus first, before he can turn his attentions to the east...

----------------------------------------------------------
    Well, tell me what you think! Keep in mind this is my first real AAR...

Oh and you might notice the cities are EB style. I installed EB on the same RTW install, thinking that it would come in its own folder, but for some reason the Greek, Roman, and some Carthaginian cities are EB style.
    Last edited by Winter; August 06, 2007 at 09:10 PM.

Imperator Valentine's Avatar Foederatus

Interesting setup. Macedone was always one of my favourite factions so it's great to see another AAR based on the true heirs of Alexander.
    And actually I quite like the EB-Style cities. Makes the map look a bit different and more interesting.

~Imperator Valentine~

Winter's Avatar Civitate

yeah I like EB cities too. However, Eastern, Egyptian, and Barbarian cities are still Vanilla style, so it looks pretty funny in the selucid/ptolemaic region.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Makedonia Ascendant (AAR)

Building The Army

Antigonos arrived in Thessalonica less than one week later. He had realized it was time to build an army, time to take back what was rightfully his, Greece. He called a meeting of his generals, and for hours they discussed recruitment options and tactics. Eventually, they hashed out a plan.

Two days later, the recruiters were sent out to the surrounding cities and country, marshalling as many able bodied men as they could to Pella and Thessalonica. These men were then hand picked by generals and their captains for four new battalions. These men would be combined with existing forces to form the biggest Macedonian army since Alexander's time.

Whilst this recruitment was going on, Antigonos decided it was a good time to deal with a problem that had been nagging at the back of his mind for weeks.

For years now, Macedonia and the Ptolemaic empire had been in a state of open war. No action had taken place on either side, but for some reason the Ptolemies refused to end this war. Antigonos decided that if Ptolemy wouldn't end this war, he would.

This would also prove an effective proving ground for his son, Demetrius. Antigonos had decided he would send Demetrius with a party of mercenaries to
    take the Ptolemaic city of Maronia. If Demetrius performed ably, perhaps Antigonos would be able to trust him with commanding part of the coming campaigns...

-----------------------------------------------
    sorry this one is so short, Ill have a big update ready tonight or early tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Are you writing this down before you post it? If not I would because it will allow you to edit and have a greater idea of where your AAR is going.

Otherwise can't tell you anything because nothing major has happened. I'll just say the usual:

Good Luck, Have Fun, and Godspeed.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Mr_Ace's Avatar Libertus

Excellent piece of role-play writing, but perhaps writing before posting is the most effective way of producing a story with a smooth and chronological background in one entire post. Of course, if the word length exceeds the limit, continuing on in a newer post is more significant and balanced, than bunched up posts of the story. I would like to read the entirety of the story, not bits and pieces with nooks and crannies in it.

But Macedonia is my favorite faction, which I'am currently playing thus far.... continue on good sir! I await the next chapter.
    Caius Murrius Philippus - Plebian, age 30
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something"