Thread: ONLINE HELP!

Default ONLINE HELP!

HELLO ALL!

I HAVE DECIDE TO TRY START PLAYNG ONLINE. BUT I'M NOT GOOD AT IT. PLEASE IF SOMEBODY OF YOU MORE EXPERIENCED IN ONLINE GIVE ME ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS OR IN ANY WAY HELP. I WILL BE MOST GRATEFUL!

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: ONLINE HELP!

Welcome to the online world of RTW! Fighting against humans will increase your satisfaction with this game.

Here are some tips:
    1) play lots of games
    2) don't worry about losing
    3) save your replays and analyze them afterwards
    4) try your best to ignore the obnoxious behavior of your opponents (not everyone's nice online)
    5) although both players are trying to win, keep in mind your opponent is also human. Don't be rude to them. Manners > Skills
    6) go to my tourney threads and message those people for games.
    7) join my next tourney (which will be in a few weeks)
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; August 06, 2007 at 05:56 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

I wil try to give a couple of pieces of advice though i don't really MP anymore. All advice assumes a 10k no rules game.

1. Make sure you choose a viable faction-Rome, carthage, macedon, seleucid, egyptian's and parthia are all pretty reliable.
    2. Don't use greek noob box-you may win against some lower quality players but will simply advertise your low skill lvl to more experienced players who can easily take such a formation to pieces.
    3. Understand that Mp is not really about tactics, its about exploiting OP or undercosted units-find the strongest units your chosen faction has and pretty much stick with them, in addition archers are the most undercosted and exploitable units available, expect enemies to use anywhere from 6 to 10 of these in a 10k game.
    4. Experience is always the best teacher so play as many game's as you can. If possible play against people whose skill is higher than your own, this will accelerate your learning experience.
    5. Always be polite and gracious in defeat- this will make it easier to get game's and on occasion you may recieve advice from good players, listen to what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post
    Welcome to the online world of RTW! Fighting against humans will increase your satisfaction with this game.

Here are some tips:
    1) play lots of games
    4) try your best to ignore the obnoxious behavior of your opponents (not everyone's nice online)
    5) although both players are trying to win, keep in mind your opponent is also human. Don't be rude to them. Manners > Skills
    Hey
    Barbarian prince thanks a lot for welcome and great tips!

+rep for your great help! and I will join your next tourney if I can!

@ Wiskheyjack

Thanks for great tips and help!!!!

+rep for your help!

Please keep up with tips everybody!

Civis

Hi Leonadis,

My advice would be to be nice online and to ask your opponent where he/she thinks you went wrong etc. If youre pleasant, many people will help you out and impart some good advice. You find that the online community is similar to other aspects of life...some of it good, some bad, but that aside it is an amazing online game that is vastly different to the campaign.

My actual advice would be too never assume that numbers confer an advantage online. Always go for quality over quantity. Upgrade good troops before buying cheap rubbish ones. When 1st starting online, this also helps with your control as you have less units to look after.

Happy gaming.

Oman

Quote Originally Posted by Oman View Post
    Hi Leonadis,

My advice would be to be nice online and to ask your opponent where he/she thinks you went wrong etc. If youre pleasant, many people will help you out and impart some good advice. You find that the online community is similar to other aspects of life...some of it good, some bad, but that aside it is an amazing online game that is vastly different to the campaign.

My actual advice would be too never assume that numbers confer an advantage online. Always go for quality over quantity. Upgrade good troops before buying cheap rubbish ones. When 1st starting online, this also helps with your control as you have less units to look after.

Happy gaming.

Oman
    thanks very much for your help Oman and +rep

Leonidas

Decanus

nah the best advise has gotta be when you play someone and they beat you. Go off mp then into sp and then custom battle then select the faction they had. Now load their army and see how it works. Don't play vs the pc as this won't help just take a note of how they chose to upgrade or where the main units were (cav heavy or missile heavy or even infantry heavy). Also on the note of saving replays try to get hold of other players replays too (maybe Barb Prince has a few from the tourney's you can watch too.

Also i noticed you wrote in capitals in your post, online some people consider this to be classed as shouting so try to write without caps

Here are some tips:
    1) play lots of games

where this tourney link...will just read how this tourney hear good with this
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Yes, I have a scattered amount of battles saved from all of the tourneys. Let me know if you want to view them. Also, here's a choppy video I made from the last tourney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3a7T2kJO4

Quote Originally Posted by Baxon7 View Post
    where this tourney link...will just read how this tourney hear good with this
    Here's a video I made for the last tourney's climactic battle between Oman and Colossus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3a7T2kJO4

I'd imbed it here, but it won't let me for some reason. Here's the link for the last tourney (which is over now) lol
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112840
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; August 06, 2007 at 04:07 PM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post
    HELLO ALL!

I HAVE DECIDE TO TRY START PLAYNG ONLINE. BUT I'M NOT GOOD AT IT. PLEASE IF SOMEBODY OF YOU MORE EXPERIENCED IN ONLINE GIVE ME ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS OR IN ANY WAY HELP. I WILL BE MOST GRATEFUL!

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS
    *points to my guide stickied to the top*

Your welcome.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

thx Roshak your guide rocks

I wish I could play online battles; unfortunately I lost my cd key a long time ago.

That sucks, Hannibal. But $20 for a new copy of RTW is a small price to pay for the online experience.

I think I'll do that.

1. Bring at least six skirmishers to battle, upgraded to gold sword/gold shield.
    2. There are three mini battles, the skirmisher battle, the infantry battle and the cavalry battle. Make sure you know which of these you're gonna win, and you'll only be able to win certain ones depending on the faction line up.
    3. Fewer upgraded units are better than more units.
    4. WATCH OUT for chariots they are really powerful in a way that's not apparent from the campaign game.
    5. You may want to consider joining a clan if you're really hardcore. They will show you some good tips.
    6. Carthage is underestimated!

Has people say playing is the best way to learn.

try all factions and get to know them, this way you know how to expolit the weaknesses and use the strenght of each one. Don't keep playing with the same faction always, if you play somone you have played before many times he may know what you do and counter it.

And this is important in my opinion, do not be afraid to try new tactics.

And as been said good manners is the first thing that every person online must have or you will be disliked.

Some people like 2v2 or 3v3 if this is the case know how to work in a team and work together to take each others weaknesses away and combine your strenghts.

If you ever fancy a game at some point i'm known as Craterus
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

Quote Originally Posted by micromegas View Post
    6. Carthage is underestimated!

Gee, I wonder why, getting there ass*s owned by Hastati and other 20 year old soilders when they had one of the greatest generals and elephants not to mention a great economy and Iberian slaves.

Oh, were talking about in the game? Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by guyyug View Post
    If you ever fancy a game at some point i'm known as Craterus
    How come you never play in the tourneys?

Hey guys you are great and thank you all for your help!

+rep to guyyug and micromegas

Leonidas

How come you never play in the tourneys?
    Well I was going to join your last one but I forgot, or sometime I know I won't be able to turn up, I am planning on joining the next one, but only if i'm free to do so.
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus