Thread: ES Vol. V|Iss. IX: Pike and Musket: TW, "Chronicle of the Nightbreed"

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default ES Vol. V|Iss. IX: Pike and Musket: TW, "Chronicle of the Nightbreed"

The Eagle Standard

Editor's Welcome

Greetings my fellow citizens and brothers! The revolution is over! I have successfully returned to my rightful throne, and the rebels have been suppressed (not really)! Now we can get to rebuilding and reorganising the Eagle Standard, and make it great once again.

Unfortunately, my prolonged absences have caused the ES to stall a bit, even with valiant efforts of selenius, Hex Khan, and the rest of the ES team. So, this IXth issue of Vol. V will be a bit lacking of the trademark ES organisation. However, it will be a great issue nonetheless! We have a quality interview with cegorach, creator of the Pike and Musket mod for M:TW, loaned to us by the Gahzette. Also, we're introducing a new story, called the "Chronicle of the Nightbreed" (cue menacing laugh), by Halie Satanus.

Gahzette Interview with [user]Cegorach[/user], leader of the Pike&Musket Mod

As part of our plans for expanding the content in the Eagle Standard, we are happy to present to you this interview done by Gahzette reporter edzymedieval with the Pike and Musket mod. If you would like to check out more of their work, be sure to head over to their site here. Some really great stuff has been produced by them, highly recommended reading!

1. Tell us shortly about P&M for M2TW
    The mod will allow leading one of 30 selected powers of late XVIth century. The main strength will be incredible diversity of factions - from pre-industrial powers such as the Netherlands or France to nomadic army of Uzbek Horde or completely ‘alien’ forces of Iroquis Confederacy and Songhai Empire. As with PMTW for MTW VI engine the mod will try to recreate all possible kinds of events affecting warfare, technology, religion and human culture in general - not to mention important political events, especially more important conflicts. Because the map will include parts of Northern America, Africa and a large chunk of Asia - colonial warfare will have its place too. A decent mixture of realism and ‘fun factor’ is the ultimate aim - especially recreating very diverse fighting ‘styles’ of virtually all nations in those areas - from tribal sharan camel riders to elite guards of Louis the XIVth. Current situation - map is in advanced stage and a number of infantry models are being prepared. Research phase is almost done, except very advanced research left for later time ( I am waiting for a couple of books soon to be released here in Poland).

2. What is the aim of P&M? Historical accuracy or gameplay? Or both?
    Both

3. So far, do you have a small or large fan base?
    It depends. I still need to finish MTW VI release with incoming last version of PMTW. MTW1 engine still allows many features impossible in MTW2...and I want to have this mod finally... polished well enough. Quite many people are waiting for that mod and I cannot disappoint them. MTW2 as relatively new engine might wait a little longer - of course I realise it is far greater project and requires extensive cooperation with some other modding teams, sometimes nothing more than exchange of models/skins etc.

4. Have you included unique features in your mod? And if so, what are they?
    Well - not yet, but as with the previous edition the idea is to use as many discoveries and options as possible. If it slows down the development... well I can live with that - perfectionism has its costs...

5. So far, it seems than you are the lone worker on the team. Do you have other people who help you?
    I belive that solo projects have one major advantage - especially in the earlier phases of development. It is very easy to coordinate the effort, the vision is clear and not disputed and such centralised approach allows more freedom of decision. Later it will change of course. For now support is limited to areas I find useful.

6. If you could sum up P&M in 15 words or less, how would it be?
    As much as you can get from the engine and more + 1 000 elephants
    1 0

7. Can you “spare” some exclusive material for our readers?
    Actually that might be quite difficult - I can say that to great degree the new mod will be a conversion and expansion of the ideas in MTW VI release - so if you seen a glimpse of something inn PMTW1 or will see ( e.g. Siberian tribes) it will appear expanded in MTW2 release. Whatever it takes. Adding to the previous answer first. Since the mod doesn’t care much about so called ‘fair play’ and ‘balance’ certain factions will be really doomed and only superior skills will allow victory.

8. And the last question, do you have a favourite faction?
    I enjoyed Tartar Khanate much, but I can’t say which faction is my favourite, though some are rather dull like smaller german states or England.

9. Do you have something to tell the fans?
    I could start like in an TV advertisement, but I will do it differently.
    PMTW is a multiverse mod - layer after layer to discover, countless possibilities to find - just like MTW release it will be highly demanding product - not for easy entertainment and surely not easy to win - I am modding primary for my own use and taste so the final product will be an EXPERIENCE to explore rather than a simple game.

Thank you Cegorach for this interview!
    Thank you too!

Chronicle of the Nightbreed
    by Halie Satanus

"What have I become, My sweetest friend, Everyone I know goes away
    In the end".
    J.Cash

Book one; Eribus the boy, Lucian the man.

For a thousand years the Lycans were enslaved by the Vampyre nation, kept as servants and at the time of the full moon, hunted for sport by the nobles of the great houses of Rahala and Severin. A thousand years in chains, a thousands years of fear and hatred.

A great noble named 'Valefore', land owner and warrior of the Severin caste often spent the hot summers in the north on the coast of the Cerasen sea, the sun rarely passed though the dense forest there, and walking beneath the trees in the day was a great joy to him, as was sound of the waves crashing in the distance soothing his troubled mind and clouding out the voices all Vampyres heard in the night. He would take with him a man servant to carry his cases and a female Lycan to cook for him and for company, Lycan women were often beautiful and though it was strictly forbidden by the high council, Valefore had no qualms about taking one along as a lover.

The girl had been won in a game of chance from a noble of the Rahala, a priest with a taste for games of risk but also a weak heart, Valefore had sensed it flutter and knew the priest was bluffing, the priest was not happy but paid the debt rather than lose face. The female was brought out dressed in an all white gown her long hair falling down over her face, and though he could not see them, Valefore knew her eyes were on him, deep black eyes like pools of water in the darkness.

Months passed like days and in that time he took the girl to his bed, unlike most Vampyres Valefore did not look on Lycans as animals and slaves, he saw passed the old teachings and had become more used to their company than that of the other nobles, a fact which had not gone unnoticed.

Summer was almost at an end and it was time to return home to Metatron, the warm winds were coming and with them the days seemed to last longer, not an ideal season for Vampyres. Valfore awoke with a start, he felt a presence, another heartbeat had entered the room, weak perhaps deliberately hidden? and assassin!, his hand slid to his sword his movements fluid and silent, he was on his feet, naked head set to one side listening, sensing with his minds eye, but no attack came, nothing stirred, not even the female sleeping until a moment ago by his side was aroused by his flight. He calmed himself allowing his body to relax a little allowing the blood flowing though his veins to slow itself.

He looked across at the girl, the moon light from the window shining across her body, had it been so long since he'd heard that same soft heartbeat, so long since his last child had made it's presence known, he lay back down on the bed his mind whirling, dazed, the high council, the priests of the Rahala, his own family, could he run, where???...he lay troubled until sleep once again embraced him.....

Kalen had been a servant of the lord Valefore for many years, Vampyres were often cruel masters but Valfore had treated him well, the fact he had lived so long was in service was proof of that, but this morning something had changed. They had been preparing for the journey home, clothing was packed the wagon loaded and the horses prepared, but his master had risen early and set off toward the hills, not a word of explanation, he supposed that soon the reason would reveal itself but he'd learned not to question his masters behavior.

The girl almost fell into the room her arms tightly wrapped around her waist, she bumped the table and was spun around almost head first into the cooking fire, Kalen reached out grabbing her with strong hands, he'd seen many women left almost for dead by his master, sometimes when the passion reached a high he would feed on them, though he had never killed, He sat the girl on a chair and looked over her body for bite marks or blood but found nothing, the girl sat with her hands folded over her stomach and Kalen knew what had happened and what he must do..

He stood up and crossed to a table where he had been preparing food, picking up a large carving knife he turned and walked towards the girl, Kalen stopped and looked down at her his hands trembling.

Turning quickly he strode out the door and over to the wagon, there he stopped, slowly and deliberately he killed the horses. Moving quickly he gathered food and blankets and pulled the girl outside, putting her on his masters horse and jumping up behind her he gave one quick look around and kicked his heels, they headed west chasing the sun, he could put almost two days between them and his master if they rode though the night, and that might just be enough.

Chapter two

Kalen looked across at his son, they had named the boy Eribus after Kalen's father, a good name which the boy wore it well, he was strong yet thoughtful and popular amongst the other children of the village. Almost eighteen years had passed since he and Alcea had run from Valfore and after passing though many settlements they had stopped at Dai-marshn and decided to stop running, Alcea was close to giving birth and Kalen believed they had run far enough...

Eribus was sharpening a long handled hunting dagger when his closest friend Tokan came running over, it was almost time for the hunt that would see them pass from boys into men, hunters respected by all and Tokan was excited,

'Slow down brother, or you'll fall and end up washing my cloths in the river for the rest of your life while i go and hunt'

Token grinned at his friend, 'then I'll spend my days with the women while you lie in the mud waiting for a pig to come close'

They both laughed as Eribus carried on sharpening his blade.

Eribus and Token stood naked in the village center as two old warriors covered them in a mixture of animal fat and blood, they did this so the two boys would have no element of surprise as they set off on their hunt, a hunt which would end with their return as men. As the Sun finally passed under the horizon and darkness engulfed the forest in the distance the two boys set off, their only weapons their long handled knives their only protection a blanket, they headed towards the forest and beyond it the forbidden mountains, unknown to them they would never make it beyond the darkness of the trees and only one would return.

After three days they had still to pass through the dense forest, progress was slow and tiring as they cut though the undergrowth, but their spirits were high, it had been a hot day and the water skin they had made from a rabbit's gut was almost dry, deciding to settle for the night Token headed down a steep slope to towards the sound of running water which sounded close, while Eribus began to make beds for them both in the low branches of a tree.

Not a minuet had passed when a low whistling sound came from somewhere beyond the slope, Eribus swiftly jumped from the tree and slid down the bank and into the trees moving as quietly as he could. Fifty feet into the trees he almost stumbled over Token who was flat on his stomach hidden under some bushes.

The two boys didn't speak but Token pointed across the small stream to the trees on the other side, there was movement, slight at first, then more as something big skirted along the far bank, Token slid off to the right following the creatures movements while Eribus slid into the water and crossed. Token's mind began to wander, 'a wild pig maybe', the food they had left the village with had only lasted the first day and the rabbit they had caught had been skinny, since then they had eaten only berries from the forest and hunger had begun to call, 'perhaps this is it' he envisioned himself crossing the clearing back to the village with the skin of a great bear or a huge wolf draped over his back, a smile broke across on his face at the thought. He passed the creature and slipped into the water, the current was stronger here and Token was dragged a little way down stream, but he wasn't worried, he would lay in wait of his prey as it slowly made it's way toward him.

Minuets passed as the unseen creature moved slowly toward Token, he waited patiently in the undergrowth ready to stab forward when the moment came, he expected Eribus was close behind and would leap onto the cretures back stabbing down into the flesh of their prey's neck. It was close, close enough that Token could hear it breathing, just two more steps....the creature came closer...

Token sprang forward his blade cutting an arc where he thought the throat must be but the beast had sensed him and reared back onto it's hind legs, Token stared up into the animals face horror entering his eyes, it was not a pig a bear or a wolf, but something he had seen only in nightmares, a creature he thought only lived in the stories the elders told to scare little children....

Eribus made his way slowly along the bank following the creature ahead of him, the wind was almost still, what little breeze there was drifted inland and would not give warning of himself or Token hiding somewhere ahead, he was close now almost close enough to spring an attack, but he waited for Token, if all went well Token would make the first cut, surprised and confused the creature would freeze for a split second before running and that was when Eribus would strike the death blow. The forest had become dense here as the roots of a great tree twisted though the undergrowth to the stream, Eribus had to slither under and over the thick roots as he tried to stay close to the still hidden prey....

A sudden movement ahead as Token struck, Eribus sprung forward but his foot slipped on the damp earth his leg caught between two entwined roots, Eribus looked up and saw silhouetted against the night sky the creature he had been following, it was like a man but taller, near eight feet at least it's long arms outstretched powerful hands which formed into long claws, and then it threw back it's head and Eribus could see it was not a man...

The beast threw back it's head a piercing howl came screaming from it's mouth, forcing it's way past huge fangs as it cut into the night sky, Token was on his feet and gripped by fear he ran into the trees, the creature did not follow strait away, Token burst though the trees dropping his blade as he did, he turned for a split second to retrieve the weapon but the sound of the beast crashing after him caused new panic and he turned and ran off without the blade...

Eribus kicked out with his free leg at the roots which held him and pulled the one which had been caught from their grasp, in one fluid movement he was on his feet and scrambling forward, the beast was standing less than ten feet away and just beyond it he saw Token disappear into the trees, Eribus leaped to one side and planted a foot on the trunk of a nearby tree propelling himself from it in to the air, his blade held ready to strike a gasp of hair passing his lips as he did, The beast spun around to face him and with one swipe of a huge claw struck Eribus to one side, Eribus twisted and landed on his feet turning only to see the beast vanish into the trees after his friend...

Token broke into a clearing but in his panic did not think to cut across back into the trees, instead panic coursing though his body he dashed strait across the open ground, the grass was long almost up to his waist and he didn't see the rocks ahead, the rocks which he stumbled over and fell crashing into the dirt...

The beast came crashing into the clearing and stopped, it had Token fall and knew it had him, slowly it began to circle the spot where Token lay closing the distance as it moved...

Eribus flung himself forward crashing though the bushes making no attempt to hide his approach, ahead the moon light glistened on something in front of him, Token's blade, he scoped it up as he passed his speed never changing, ahead though the trees he saw the clearing and he slowed to a stop just at the edge, he could see the beast on the far side slowly moving to his left, facing him, moving closer, and he knew Token was between them hiding somewhere in the grass..

Token had hit his head and was dazed for a moment, then he froze, still, listening for the beast, but he heard nothing more than his own heart beating fast in his chest, unsure if he had been unconscious, he lay still as the minuets passed...

Not a sound in the darkness, 'Where was the beast, had it run passed him, not seeing him fall, and where was Eribus, dead?, Token began to raise his head above the grass, looking back to the trees he had come though, nothing, slowly turning, until he saw the beast, not thirty feet away crouched, but still visible over the grass, in the blink of an eye the monster leaped forward, covering the ground in a blur until it was close enough to strike, then with a huge leap it was in the air legs drawn quickly up beneath it's body, powerful arms stretched out ready to grasp Token in a murderous embrace...

Minuets had passed in silence as Eribus waited at the edge of the clearing hidden by the bushes around him, his eye focused on the beast, then a slight movement between them broke his concentration for a split second as the head of Token raised up fro m the grass, The creature suddenly sprang forward and Eribus was on his feet and moving towards it his legs felt suddenly more powerful than ever as the beast flew into the air, Eribus breathed in sharply as he to took off an impossible distance from the creature, his arms held taught at his sides a blade in each hand...

Token tried to scramble to his feet but fear had him gripped and the speed of the beast was to fast, he began to duck back into the earth when a blur of motion caught his eye, he twisted his body waiting for to beast to land and saw in Eribus smash into the creature above him, there was a cry of pain as the two figures bones crushed together and they fell back...

Eribus lay still his body pinning the beast to the ground the two knives embedded deeply into it's throat, the beast groaned softly and then with a last breath howled as death swept into it's body. Eribus stood and turned towards where his friend had lay but Token was on his feet and moving away from him....

"who are you, what are you"??.. said Token, fear in his eyes...

Eribus looked down at his hands his flesh had blackened, the muscles throbbed as a new blood coursed though his veins, he felt strong, stronger than ever before, his eyes could see clearly as if it was day, and though Token was ten feet away, Eribus could hear his heart beating and smell his blood..for a moment he did not know how to answer his friend, then as his eyes narrowed and images of things he had never seen flashed though his mind he knew the answer, "I am Lucian, i am vengeance"...

Token turned and ran back into the trees, back towards home...

Lucian stood for awhile alone listening to the silence with new ears looking into darkness with new eyes, he didn't notice the figures moving slowly closer to him from all directions until it was almost to late...

The circle closed slowly as the beast had when stalking Token not an hour ago, but this time it was Lucian in the center, he pulled the two blades up behind his arms so the light didn't catch them, he hoped they hadn't seen them. The beasts stopped circling and one of them moved forward it's head bowed but it's eyes fixed on Lucians own, it moved toward the dead creature and reaching out grabbed it by the head, it pulled it back and slashed at it's throat with razor sharp claws, severing the head, then all but one of the beasts turned and crashed into the forest and were gone, the one that stayed came towards Lucian bared it's teeth growling and pointed after it's companions then it to sprang forward and was gone, Lucian looked back to where Token had run, for a moment what he had lost crossed his mind and sorrow passed though his heart, then he to disappeared into the trees following the beasts to his destiny.

So ends book one.....

------------------------------
    Made possible by End of Days II

Picture of the Week

The voting is complete! The Picture of the Week has two victors, again! This weeks winners are [user=PaulusCliftus]PaulusCliftus[/user], and [user=MasterAdnin]MasterAdnin[/user] (respectively)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And the winner of the July Picture of the Week is none other than [user=Garnier]Garnier[/user], with his pic 'Flank Attack'
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wish us good luck. I've said before that the ES would do revolutionary things, but never had the chance to go through with it. Hopefully things will change now that I'm not going anywhere. Tune in for our next issue of the Eagle Standard next week. It's bound to be amazing.
    Last edited by therussian; August 06, 2007 at 12:21 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Default Re: ES Vol. V|Iss. IX: Pike and Musket: TW, "Chronicle of the Nightbreed"

I can't wait for some of these new features
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: ES Vol. V|Iss. IX: Pike and Musket: TW, "Chronicle of the Nightbreed"

INdeed, they should be quite delectable.

Updated with Potw.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

Very nice additions compadres.

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus