Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marian/augustan reforms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Icon11 marian/augustan reforms

Hi peeps,
    Actually i dont know what the augustan reforms are but they sound interesting. I havent reached the marian reforms yet but what im wondering is, do you gte many new troop types? I know that in vanilla you have a bunch of guys that you dont get in EB, such as urban cohort and what not, id be real dissapointed if there was a limited selection of troops, also im playing a game as carthage, do the romans ever get troops who can truly stand up to elite african swordsmen..i.e defence something like 30??
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, I am not a big man.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: marian/augustan reforms

Polybian:

at least year 242, either hold 2 of these cities (Segesta, Mediolanum, Patavium, Bononia) AND 2 of these (Lilibeo, Messana, Syracuse) OR wait until 210BC
    You get the new units after upgrading your Mic's. In settlements you don't upgrade you keep your old camillan units, and you are still able to retrain your old veterans.
    Marian:

At least the year 172BC,
    Have more than 6 Latifundia built in Italy,
    Hold at least 45 settlements,
    Fight more than 250 battles, and
    Have a character that is:

Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous
    Popularis
    Consul or Ex-Consul
    Has Influence > 2
    Has Command > 2

OR just conquer 90 settlements.
    Augustian:

At least year 125BC, hold 90 settlements, have at least 45 type2 settlements, fight 400 battles, and a general that is:

Intelligent/Charismatic/Vigorous
    At least Skilled Bureaucrat
    At least Arrogans
    At least Expert Recruiter
    Can't be Selfless

If these conditions are met, the general will receive a trait telling he wants to seize power. Make him the Faction Heir and as soon as he becomes the leader the reforms will happen.
    All from faq.

kepper's Avatar Artifex

If i can remember the Augustan reform are bug , they will by OK in the next version of EB.
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...get/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Say it isn't so???

I am still only in 235 BC and so looking forward to getting my hands on some legions ... and I doomed to never seeing an Imperial Roma!

They should be working. I don't remember hearing anything about how they aren't working properly. Generally the problem is user error.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

There is a bug in one of the traits that is needed to get the Augustan Reforms. You can just cheat and give a guy with all of the other requirements that trait. It has been fixed for the next version.

There are plenty of units in the Marian/Augustus Eras. For one thing, you get regional auxilias in various different places around the map.

if u dont fulfill the conditions , is there a default date for the marian reforms? its 188 bc and i have not even one latifundia built...
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, I am not a big man.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chomskola View Post
    if u dont fulfill the conditions , is there a default date for the marian reforms? its 188 bc and i have not even one latifundia built...
    Yes. The default date is 107BC.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Is there a default on the Augustan. If I had to guess then perhaps 23BC or Later.
    ________
    Toys Couple
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; May 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

No there is no default on augustan. A change from the republic to the imperial age was really based on charismatic individuals who wanted to concentrate power in one vessel.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

i do never seem to get the augustian. i had this one game with the romans and its almost the year 110 BC and i am pushing deep into the east, my legions are rushing into medea and persia, with the germans destroyed in a daring early trust north the only adversaries left are the seleucids and the sarmatians. the seleucids captured everything in the east thus its quite boring. the deeper i trust eastwards the harder it gets to keep up with myself .

i got the marian reform and that does kick ass but WHERE IS THE AUGUSTIAN REFORM... i mean i know the requirements and the only problem is the traits a char. needs to have. so a lame family line is blocking my imperial ambitions!!!!!! and that s u c k s !!! i mean i have conquered everything (except rhodos where i forgot the greeks :hmmm and i just wished i could fight the seleucids with imperial troops... it would be really nice to get them earlier on.

same goes for the marian. i know it would make it less realistic, but i think that concerning this the fun factor should prevail and what could be more fun than to follow the great julius caesar in conquering gaul with marian troops. i hate it when the year turns 172BC (marian) and i have just conquered everything...
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    i do never seem to get the augustian. i had this one game with the romans and its almost the year 110 BC and i am pushing deep into the east, my legions are rushing into medea and persia, with the germans destroyed in a daring early trust north the only adversaries left are the seleucids and the sarmatians. the seleucids captured everything in the east thus its quite boring. the deeper i trust eastwards the harder it gets to keep up with myself .

i got the marian reform and that does kick ass but WHERE IS THE AUGUSTIAN REFORM... i mean i know the requirements and the only problem is the traits a char. needs to have. so a lame family line is blocking my imperial ambitions!!!!!! and that s u c k s !!! i mean i have conquered everything (except rhodos where i forgot the greeks :hmmm and i just wished i could fight the seleucids with imperial troops... it would be really nice to get them earlier on.

same goes for the marian. i know it would make it less realistic, but i think that concerning this the fun factor should prevail and what could be more fun than to follow the great julius caesar in conquering gaul with marian troops. i hate it when the year turns 172BC (marian) and i have just conquered everything...
    EB is realistic in this respect.

Think of it this way - realistically - WHY is an army reformed?

An army is reformed when its not doing a good enough job the way it is.

WHEN is an army not doing a good enough job the way it is?

When it suffers a really major defeat! That's when a talented leader or general looks hard at the army, thinks "what the hell went wrong there?" and tries to find out what the army's weaknesses are, and develops reforms to reduce those weaknesses.

In your game, everything is going great for Rome - you've conquered nearly all the known world - the Roman Empire is huge, prosperous and nearly invincible - it looks ready to stand for 1,000 years! And your mighty army has defeated every enemy force that stood in its way.

Therefore, role-playing the leader of your faction, he would think to himself "Why would my army need a military reform? I'm winning nearly all my battles - so the army must be fine the way it is."

Defeat, not victory, was the motivator behind military reform in the ancient world. Victors don't need reforms.

EB is designed to be played slower than vanilla. If you didn't conquer so fast then it wouldn't be a problem. I rarely have added more than 10 provinces to my starting province by 220.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Citizen

One trait required for the Augustan reform is bugged and cannot be aquired. You have to cheat in order to get the 'Skilled Recruiter' trait.

Imperator Sulla's Avatar Miles

Ok, this is kind of a n00b question but I just can't seem to get it right.

its: give_trait "[trait]" "Lucius Cornelius Sulla" right?
    I'm not accustommed to cheating, that's all
    No greater friend, no worse enemy

— Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Roman Dictator

Citizen

Well, for you example the name would be "Lvcivscornelivs Svlla" (middlename isn't capitalized and has no space).

oh lol... so i play to fast hehe... guess once you start conquering there is no stopping possible i'll try playing slower, real slower
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

On the whole playing slow thing, it really isn't that bad. You just end up using the turn button a lot, haha. Right now I'm playing the Parthians; its after 250 BC and I've only gained 5 settlements. All but one are Baktrian, who I betrayed early on. My starting method was to grab the nearest town for extra income with my starting army and it seemed to work well.

But don't be afraid to slow things down. Like I said, you just end up hitting the turn button more, it doesn't amount to sitting there watching your ox carts move around. It makes your battles much more memorable and enjoyable, because every one is crucial. You also get more attached to certain units. Like I have silver chevron horse archers that participated in my first siege, and they always get first dibs on my important military operations. Its just different.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Hi guys,
    I had been playing EB 1.0 without ever reading the FAQ just to try to take it in without advanced knowledge of "what to do". For example, I have been pleasantly surprised as Romani to have the Polyban reforms...
    Over time, I noticed some provinces (with newer barracks) were producing the NEW polyban troops, band the old barracks produced the old.
    SO this made me look at the FAQ with the following agenda:
    WHAT do you do if you have already "maxed-out" your MIC (eg city of Rome) to produce new era troops.

That brings up another question about gov't (and yes by now I have read the FAQ). I gather I must destroy ALL existing govt or building types (barracks) to successfully have my own type I or 2 govt and barracks later.... but in 1 case (Patavium?) I was able to immediately build a type 2 over the existing pacification (non-Roman)? Trying to keep on message here. THE question is for type 1 or type 2 what must I destroy to not be limited later?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ENSAIS View Post
    Hi guys,
    I had been playing EB 1.0 without ever reading the FAQ just to try to take it in without advanced knowledge of "what to do". For example, I have been pleasantly surprised as Romani to have the Polyban reforms...
    Over time, I noticed some provinces (with newer barracks) were producing the NEW polyban troops, band the old barracks produced the old.
    SO this made me look at the FAQ with the following agenda:
    WHAT do you do if you have already "maxed-out" your MIC (eg city of Rome) to produce new era troops.

That brings up another question about gov't (and yes by now I have read the FAQ). I gather I must destroy ALL existing govt or building types (barracks) to successfully have my own type I or 2 govt and barracks later.... but in 1 case (Patavium?) I was able to immediately build a type 2 over the existing pacification (non-Roman)? Trying to keep on message here. THE question is for type 1 or type 2 what must I destroy to not be limited later?
    In order to get the Polybian Reform units, you have to upgrade your MIC. If you have upgraded your MIC from the previous version all the way to the highest level, then you will have the ability to upgrade highest level Camilian MIC to the highest level Polybian MIC.

Destroy all governments when you take a settlement, no matter if the rebels build one belonging to your faction. Always tear them all down. MICs don't matter, you can leave them or tear them down. They don't conflict with other faction's MICs. You should probably tear down most of them though, as you won't be able to build any units in it. If you can build units in it, feel free to leave it, it represents that the former owners set up a military system similar to your own and you can continue using the established system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast