Thread: Corrected Map Files for PDER 0.4 version 1.3

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Corrected Map Files for PDER 0.4 version 1.3

GENERAL:
    This is an attempt to accommodate all short comings and/or faults in the default map set for Pro Deo Et Rege version 0.4 beta.

CONTENTS:
    The following files are included (five in total):
    1. This info file
    2. Map.rwm - saves you deleting the old one
    3. Map_features.tga - all the rivers and cliffs
    4. Map_ground_types.tga - the mother file
    5. Map_regions.tga - regions with city and harbor locations

INSTALLATION:
    To take effect, the files have to be extracted into the PDER_v.0.4_Beta\data\world\maps\base directory. Click on allow/yes when asked for overwriting permission.

TAKE NOTE:
    Please install these files only before you start a new campaign (not save compatible)! I had all kinds of weird things happening when I applied it to an ongoing campaign. So don't cry: you have been warned.

HISTORY:
    After some consideration I felt it best if the following regions remained unchanged however tempting:
    - Ras
    - Caesarea
    - Alpine castles (2)

Change log version 1.3
    - Moved river crossing south of Angiers to the east. Settlement was blocking traffic flow and enabled siege exploit (sieging from crossing).
    - Reduced the size of Bostra region to allow roads from Deir al-Zur to Bagdad.
    - Created crossing near Nizhny Novgorod for road to Yaroslavl.
    - Closed the coastal road between Genova and Marseille, goes now through the Alpine pass. Should make for lots of bridge battles for whoever holds Marseille.
    - Made road possible for Venice to their port, Zara and Zagreb.

Change log version 1.2
    - Slightly enlarged the Asprokastran region and added a river crossing to enable direct traffic to Kyiv and Zhytomyr.

Change log version 1.1
    - Enlarged the region of Olmutz slightly to allow for roads to eliminate 'cul de sac'.

Change log version 1.0
    - Relocated the ports of London and Nikaia to avoid blocking of the Channnel and Bosporus respectively.
    - Relocated the port of Skovde to allow for proper funtioning (blocking was not possible).
    - Relocated the port of Tripoli to allow for proper funtioning (could not be entered). This has not been tested and feed back will be appreciated.
    - Changed the map_feature and map_ground_type files to allow for roads between Sinope, Nikaia and Trapezous.
    - Enlarged the region of Tanja slightly to allow for road from Tanja to Ouahran.
    - Enlarged the region of Pisa slightly to allow for road from Pisa to Genova.

EDIT: Attachment removed, version 1.3 is included in PDER v0.4 Patch 1
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 09, 2007 at 04:26 AM.

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Corrected Map Files for PDER 0.4

Thanx, Gigantus for the updated map. Will try after I get back from work.
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Yup! Thanks gigantus for taking the time to do this!

I'm going to use it myself once I start up a new campaign this weekend. The only question is what faction should I play?:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    - Changed the map_feature and map_ground_type files to allow for roads between Sinope, Nikaia and Trapezus
    That's actually one I really wanted to take care of myself. Just never got around to it.

And just a quick note to others - as gigantus mentioned these files are not going to be save-game compatibile so if you're in the midst of a thrilling campaign (which it sounds like a lot of you are), you might want to hold off on updating.

I don't think any of the bugs fixed by gigantus were game-breaking, just varying degrees of annoying!

Cheers and big thanks to gigantus!

EDIT - gigantus, your +rep will have to wait! I have to spread it around first!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; August 03, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    I don't think any of the bugs fixed by gigantus were game-breaking, just varying degrees of annoying!
    And they definitely were annoying! They are just a few things that I just haef to (I am German) fix.

Blog Entries

Quoting Socal_infidel: I'm going to use it myself once I start up a new campaign this weekend. The only question is what faction should I play?

Answer: Well, try to stem the black tide after putting in my fix for the AI Tax Bug. It is not for the faint hearted.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    Quoting Socal_infidel: I'm going to use it myself once I start up a new campaign this weekend. The only question is what faction should I play?

Answer: Well, try to stem the black tide after putting in my fix for the AI Tax Bug. It is not for the faint hearted.
    I think I may actually have a go-at-it with Poland. Never played them before and ninefingers said it was a challening campaign. Plus, I want to try out their new Dismounted Nobles! Maybe they can stem the black tide!

Ninefingers's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Corrected Map Files for PDER 0.4 version 1.2

Argh! An update!

Ah well, my campaign was turning into a logistical nightmare anyway. Took too many provinces too quickly and overwhelmed myself. I shall start over and proceed more carefully!

"The enemy flees! Probably back to his palaces and prostitutes!" -Eastern faction battle announcer, Rome: Total War

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

Hehe, I do like the 'cul de sac' comment Looks good to me with the latest update!
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Ordinarius

Can I just ask what the purpose of the blank map.rwm file is?

It seems counter-intuitive to me to wipe the map data, but then I'm no modder of M2. Also, why are the replacement map_xxxxx files so much smaller than the previous ones?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mechstra View Post
    Can I just ask what the purpose of the blank map.rwm file is?

It seems counter-intuitive to me to wipe the map data, but then I'm no modder of M2. Also, why are the replacement map_xxxxx files so much smaller than the previous ones?
    The game creates a map.rwm file from the data in the folder, if you want to make use of new data you will have to delete it.
    A zero size file is considered a ' no file'. Created this for an installer purpose.
    The files are smaller as I am using 'The Gimp' for working with tga files. This program automatically compresses these files when saved.