Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The differences between the rich and the poor.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default The differences between the rich and the poor.

At Rhinosaur's bequest, I am creating a new topic on the differences between the rich and the poor, in order to create a general dialogue on the subject.

Simply continuing where Rhinosaur left off:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinosaur View Post
    Is it your assertion that the people who collect things like food stamps or WIC are not poor?

And BWB, how big is a family? Who put out this statistic, and do they itemize it? Can I see exactly where the $40,000 is going?

Aka link please
    Like I said, correct me if I was wrong. All I know is from what little hearsay I can gather.

Enlighten me, please!

Default Re: The differences between the rich and the poor.

I think what Thanatos is getting at are couples who spit out so many children they become eligible for welfare programs.

I have never known someone personally to be rich (either on paper or otherwise) who was collecting food stamps or WIC, or things of that nature. Your implication is that many people currently using those types of welfare meant for poor families (not corporate welfare) are really well to do or rich? Fraud exists to be sure, but it's investigated and prosecuted vigorously. Your implication is wrong on it's face.

edit:
    Only one post in and we get the dreaded "welfare queen" crap. It's a myth.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Well, that too. That's just sad.

I'd personally like to see the Federal government kill their welfare programs entirely, and have the States and private charities take up the slack.

At any rate, I am happy that at least the law has made it that those on welfare must now search for employment instead of just sitting on their butts all day.

the whole job of the government is to take care of everyone--- not just the rich(ideally)

welfare and programs like it go against the substance of autarchy- or oligarchy-- therefore are good.

Yes, but to what extent? Nobody ever said the government was your mother!

The government should not be a source of income unless its income for employement.

Like I said, it's fine for the government to take care of its citizens. Only thing is, is that it should be the state governments that do so, not the federal government. The constitution mentions as much.

State's Rights? That's Conservative code meaning they (Cons) want to screw someone over and the majority of the Country doesn't go along with it.
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

No, I'm serious. I'm not a Republican, if that's what you're wondering.

I honestly feel that the language of the Constitution does not permit the Federal government from exericising welfare powers, unlike the states.

Federal government gives states the money for welfare programs, States distribute it as intended or they don't take the money, just like highway money. I can't go to the Federal building and get food stamps, I have to go to our county office to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinosaur View Post
    Federal government gives states the money for welfare programs, States distribute it as intended or they don't take the money, just like highway money. I can't go to the Federal building and get food stamps, I have to go to our county office to get them.
    I also don't hold with the Federal government as the depository of all funds for States.

What's the point of a state, then? They might as well just be nothing other than money-collecting sectors.

If our government wasn't so ******* eager to expand, and actually complied with the Constitution, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today.

us poor are a bunch of lazy scroungers living off all you hard workers.
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    I also don't hold with the Federal government as the depository of all funds for States.
    You'll be pleasantly surprised that States have revenue aside from the grace of the Federal Government.

What's the point of a state, then? They might as well just be nothing other than money-collecting sectors.
    States do have separate duties from the Feds, and many times money given by the Feds is given only if States put in some money to match, like infrastructure projects.

If our government wasn't so ******* eager to expand, and actually complied with the Constitution, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today.
    Depends on which mess. We are in quite a few lately.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary88
    us poor are a bunch of lazy scroungers living off all you hard workers.
    Yes you are, now back into the mines before you feel the bite of my whip!! No gruel for you!!
    Last edited by Rhinosaur; August 02, 2007 at 08:03 PM.

most people on welfare are on it when they need it then they get back on their feet-- the leeches are exception not the rule, alot of people see welfare as a real blessing, and it really changes their ability to have more options--- but in the end it is still work that gets you what you want.

and most people know that.

in the UK what you call welfare is known as the 'dole' and it has tight restrictions now. basically you have to attend job interviews before they let you have any (afaik this is what they implemented) which basically prevents you from scrounging because it only pays you whilst you look for actual work. the other benefits we get are tax benefits, ie if you have kids you get money back from your taxes to help provide for them. really poor ****ers like me get something called EMA, which basically pays you to go to school. its a pretty unfair system because only a small fraction of kids who get it actually need it but its to prevent kids from low income famillies dropping out of sixth form to get a job.
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    most people on welfare are on it when they need it then they get back on their feet-- the leeches are exception not the rule, alot of people see welfare as a real blessing, and it really changes their ability to have more options--- but in the end it is still work that gets you what you want.

and most people know that.

You sir, are correct. Welfare, like Social Security, Disability, and unemployment insurance are absolutely vital in their importance to the average American. Most people want to work for a living and support themselves, but sometimes you can't, and that's when these programs are necessary. The vast majority of people using them actually need them, and would slip into a standard of living we don't want Americans to have to endure without these benefits.

@ Gary88: we have most of that here too (it's what we call welfare and tax credits) aside from the school thing you mention.

@ Gary88: we have most of that here too (it's what we call welfare and tax credits) aside from the school thing you mention.
    yeah i thought you might, i just wanted to give a british perspective and the school thing isnt from the government direct but a government funded organisation called the LEA
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

If you have the time watch this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...ngton-part-1of
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...ngton-part-2of
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...ngton-part-3of

Lays out pretty well how everything government touches turns to ****.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

The problem is that everyone is the same. People all want money in life, and the reasons are all the same. It is just a matter of how far one gets in gaining money. Poor people want to provide for their family, put food on the table and make a better life for their family. Rich people want to gain money so they can give more to their family.

The thing is we all should strive to get more money so that we can help other rather than ourselves. The problem is, people have become very greedy and are willing to do whatever is necessary to gain wealth.

I am just bumbling now, but you guys get the point anyway.

Salaam bros,
    Adnan

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast