Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum Armenian Units Preview!

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum Armenian Units Preview!

Ahhh yesss... the Seleucidsss... mmmm... (slobber slobber, dreaming of varied army compositions).

But seriously, I've read through the entire thread and have encountered no evidence for the metal clad, arrow flinging horror as represented above, but hey I'm only a DIY historian, so I'm no authority.
    It's only that I am left with the impression that Drtad is projecting medieval evidence over the ancient period.
    For instance, the evidence given for the presence of Armenian Onagers and such, the fame of Armenian engineers in the crusade period, does not leave me to conclude that this would have been the same in the ancient period.
    Must have been those damascene sarissa's that kept them at bay ey.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Actually, we had quite a debate over this in our devs.....and concluded that the armour clad fellows are quite historical.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

The horror...

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    I know this is a bit late, but...
    These units look so medieval, al packed with metal, surely they should have conquered the entire world, such a varied unit selection... I mean common give me a break, even the Seleucids can't handle that.
    Where are my Armenian overlords? I don't see them.
    Here we are!
    Seriously, Armenia's problems were many, the largest being:
    1) Numbers
    2) Lack of unity
    3) Picking fights with the biggest, baddest mofo's around
    4) Blinding stubborness
    5) Being Christian in a sea of non-Christians, with Georgia being the only other Christian nation in the area.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Indefinitely Banned

Not to forget the lack of unity came from being sandwiched between the two great powers of world (persia and rome) and the subsequent tug of war which divided and devastated Armenia.

Armenia as a culture was part and parcel of the Aryan civilization (not nazi! i mean iranic/iranian), hence if a small parthian tribe can dominate persia and bring down the hammer of a thousand cataphracts on roman legions, why couldn't Armenia?
    Last edited by Miraj; October 28, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Giving some thought to it, it does seem likely that a faction so close to the cradle of civilization, surrounded by ore holding mountains, and with plentifull and varying enemies would develop such extensive armament.
    I retract my statements and would like to voice my agreement with the work done by Tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    But seriously, I've read through the entire thread and have encountered no evidence for the metal clad, arrow flinging horror as represented above, but hey I'm only a DIY historian, so I'm no authority.
    Well, yeah. Armenia's ancient army according to the Romans like Manlius Aquilius, Antony, and Lucullus was made of armored infantry, armored horses, horse archers, etc.

It's only that I am left with the impression that Drtad is projecting medieval evidence over the ancient period.
    Actually medieval Armenia used far less armor than it did in the ancient period. The army would have more skirmishing and light units if I was projecting Medieval evidence. Take a look at this preview of medieval Armenian units by Mirage and co. (Broken Crescent)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109242

There is still a lot of armor, but it is devoid of cataphracts and other things which are found in the ancient era.

For instance, the evidence given for the presence of Armenian Onagers and such, the fame of Armenian engineers in the crusade period, does not leave me to conclude that this would have been the same in the ancient period.
    Must have been those damascene sarissa's that kept them at bay ey.
    To me it shows the long tradition of Armenian siege weaponry, however you could interpret it like that.

These units look so medieval, al packed with metal, surely they should have conquered the entire world, such a varied unit selection... I mean common give me a break, even the Seleucids can't handle that.
    They conquered quite a tract of land (see Tigranes II) and the Seleucids couldn't handle that historically. All the Seleucids attempts to conquer Armenia failed and eventually Armenia destroyed Seleucia.

Where are my Armenian overlords? I don't see them.
    Well, that's the point of the secret Armenian take over the world organization... Oops! I said too much!

Giving some thought to it, it does seem likely that a faction so close to the cradle of civilization, surrounded by ore holding mountains, and with plentifull and varying enemies would develop such extensive armament.
    In the words of Tigger: Exactically!

Not to forget the lack of unity came from being sandwiched between the two great powers of world (persia and rome) and the subsequent tug of war which divided and devastated Armenia.
    Not exactly... The lack of unity was due to the use of the feudal nakharar system.
    Last edited by Drtad; October 28, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Forgive me for my insolence mighty Tigranes.
    I meant no disrespect.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Not exactly... The lack of unity was due to the use of the feudal nakharar system.
    Yes, but thats just the root cause of what I said. After all such a feudal society was easily divided and different elements propped up in the back and forth between Parthia/Sassanids and Rome/Byzantines.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Yes, but thats just the root cause of what I said. After all such a feudal society was easily divided and different elements propped up in the back and forth between Parthia/Sassanids and Rome/Byzantines.
    True, I concede.

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Very, very nice especially those guys that look like they have mail faces! Great stuff!

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

I've never played with this faction before, but they look quite tasty.
    Sort of like Parthians but with some decent infantry thrown in.
    Those maced infantrymen look excellent.

Worm's Avatar Bravo

Armenia has really deserved my attention for RS 2

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post

Actually medieval Armenia used far less armor than it did in the ancient period. The army would have more skirmishing and light units if I was projecting Medieval evidence. Take a look at this preview of medieval Armenian units by Mirage and co. (Broken Crescent)
    Strange because the obviously not historical vanilla Mtw2 had those armenian knight copies as mercenaries..and they were awesome! I used them every time.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Armenia will be very intresting and unique like they were historicaly

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    Strange because the obviously not historical vanilla Mtw2 had those armenian knight copies as mercenaries..and they were awesome! I used them every time.
    Well, I didn't say they had no armor, but they used less due to their worse circumstances.

The Armenian knights aren't that ahistorical, actually. Armenia definitely used European type knights during the Bagratuni period (mid-9th-mid-11th centuries).

Is there any updates to armenian units like you have done to seleucids?

Yeah some minor updates really.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

nice

ChrisJoker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    nice
    nice..........to
    no but really there awesome
    "An army of sheep led by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep".(Arab proverb)