Page 6 of 286 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Mod!! Post empires

jerjes's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Great Mod!! Post empires

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    It appears as though if you bribe the Armenians it'll make your attacks on Pergamum and Dacia much easier
    I'm trying since 10-12 turns ago but for some strange reason they still refuse.
    But then again, you'll have a larger Armenian Empire against you...
    No problem, my denarii will be ready to be given to Partia
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

La única verdad es la realidad - Juan Domingo Perón

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

The world situation, 262 BC, in my Roman campaign. VH Battle, H Campaign

Syracuse and Epeiros are gone as well as Macedon, all trampled by my legions. I have all African settlements west of Egypt under siege, and I WAS preparing my invasion of Spain (one First Legion and One Second Legion present, but I fear it won't be enough to sweep the Carthaginians away). Also, I was planning a push into the Eastern Danube region (Byzantium, Lysamacheia, Odessa) with 4 legions. One of them is newly raised, the other are veterans of the Macedonian campaign. The plan was a "Von-Schlieffen-tactic" where the inexperienced legion is to guard the flank, while the other three swing into the region.

Sadly, my plans are being completely disrupted. In the South the Greeks have launched an amphibious invasion on Chalcis. I've launched a counter-attack on Rhodes with a small force, but it's no more than a distraction really. You can see all those Greek stacks, and the nearest legions for defense are two Second Legions, who are currently in Italy, but are boarding transports to sail to Larissa as we speak.

Apart from that, the nearest are the Third Legions who are actually part of the Von Schlieffen plan. So once Delphi goes down, my cities (full with town watch) are completely undefended from the Greek horde, unless I can get those Second legions there in time.

To make things worse, I'm suspecting a massive betrayal from my only allies, the Gauls (Note: Fog of war is turned off now, but I allready knew they were there, just not there were that much of 'em ). And THE ONLY LEGION available in miles around is the Third one stationed in the fort.

My current action plan (A four front war really ):
    - launch the attack on Byzantium
    - try and gain a stronghold in Spain, and if bad comes to worse crawl for a ceasefire
    - send my two Second Legions from Italy to Delphi, and let them guard the mountain passes to keep the Greeks from flooding in. When the Byzantine campaign is done (within 10 turns or so), they'll be reinforced
    - And I'm going to hope for the best in the Gaul matter

+ When all African cities fall, I'll have 3 additional Third Legions and I'll hope they can reinforce Greece...

If this works out good, I'll be the ONLY mediterrean superpower, if it doesn't, I'm screwed on all four fronts Wish me luck God, I love this mod
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

My empire is slowly expanding. With help from the Greeks (yeh i know it sounds wierd) against the Gauls, I have taken most of their towns and cities.

Next for me:

-Invasion of Britian with focus on wiping out the last Gauls
    -Possible attack on Iberia
    -Consolidation in mid-Europe with legions ready to sweep across Germania and Dacia

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

Nice empire. What year are you in?

Could you clarify on the Greek hulp on the Gauls? I'm really confused 'bout that Did the Greeks expand to Mid-Europe or what?

The Greeks have even tried freeing their buddies in Asia Minor!

--- Sam Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    Nice empire. What year are you in?

Could you clarify on the Greek hulp on the Gauls? I'm really confused 'bout that Did the Greeks expand to Mid-Europe or what?

The Greeks have even tried freeing their buddies in Asia Minor!
    Thanks

I think i'm coming up to 210 BC (although i need to check)

Greeks in Greece got completely wiped out by Macedon (before I owned them of course )

For some reason there was a 1 full stack and one half stack of Greeks hanging around Nabo Martius who were able to help my 2 legions take out 6 odd Gaul stacks

Methinks it would be appropriate to call the Greeks "lost". I would have said "the lost legion" but it doesnt fit lol.

Otherwise, Greeks are pretty screwed with Rhodes and a few other cities left.

You're not doing to bad yourself Tank....good luck!
    Last edited by MarcusTullius; August 22, 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Cool! Do the Greeks still have Massilia perhaps? I recommend to attack Iberia, since you still have some time before you share borders with the Germans, or attack Britain to take out the Gauls while you're at it. Both at the same time, preferably

Update on my campaign: Gauls have started besieging my lonely North-Italian fort. One of the legs of my action plan : "hope for the best in the Gaul matter" has just received a "negative"
    So I'm officially in a four front war now

--- Sam Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    Cool! Do the Greeks still have Massilia perhaps? I recommend to attack Iberia, since you still have some time before you share borders with the Germans, or attack Britain to take out the Gauls while you're at it. Both at the same time, preferably
    Greek are long gone from Europe....what remains of that "lost legion" is still hovering about near Massilla.

Alreay wiped out Gaul by attacking Londoninium . Now just the rest of Britian to take with my 2 legions.

Iberia is indeed next on my list, just need to build up my troop numbers.

Oh, and I took Byzantine

Good luck with the four fronts war. Try take the choke points and hold them off until you can bring some more troops to the fight. Hows the Africa campaign going?

In ut Victoria
    Last edited by MarcusTullius; August 22, 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Globalhead's Avatar Civis

Here's a shot of current empire as Rome. Tried something alittle different this game...went for the reforms as soon as I could, just to see how it goes. Got them around 255 b.c., didn't even build any VE Legions, went from early republic to numbered...it's been interesting so far. I have been expanding somewhat slowly, money is still an issue (In that I don't have alot, which is nice), and I'm currently at war with Gaul and Carthage and both Free People's. Macedonia has just allied themselves with Gaul, so I suspect an attack from them shortly. That's gonna be tough as I can see about 16 or so Macedonian armies to my 3 Legions (IV Flavia Felix, XV Apollinaris, and XVI Flavia Firma) and 2 Mercenary armies (Mostly Merc Hoplites, Cimmerian Armoured Swordsmen, and barbarian Cavalry). In Africa, I have 3 "Auxilia" Legions (Spearmen, Archers, and Aegyptia Cavalry) working all the rebel cities of the interior...at a slow pace also.

Pic shows a newly reinforced XIII Gemina, after defeating two 4000 man rebel armies. Hehe, been using the 13th lately since I have been watching HBO's Rome series on dvd, and Vorenus and Pullo both served in it...The second legion just south of Luvavum is the XXI Rapax and the troops in the fort are my "Supply/Baggage" train for both legions (a governor leads replacement cohorts from both legions, plus archers, cavalry, and such to replace losses...keeping legions in the field longer before a major refit). Fog of war is on for pic only...play with it off btw.

Last edited by Globalhead; August 26, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimius pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.

Very cool, again I like that there is no overwhelming faction yet and lots of balance. Macedon is heading straight for the Baltic again... glad we're going to have that hole filled with some new factions soon...

This is 226 BC. I'm currently at war with Carthage, the Iberians, Gaul, Germanica, the Getae, Epirot and Macedonia. Until now i heavily funded the greek cities and the ptolemacs.

Right now i have 12 legions in the field.

Legio I Germanica and legio II Avgvsta are finishing off Epirot
    while legio I Italica make its move towards Dacia.

Legio VII Clavdia Pia VII Fidelis, X Gemina and XIII Gemina just took Belgica.

Legio III Augusta, IX Hispaniensis and XII Fvlminata are doing the spanish campaign.

Legio XV was recruited in Carthago after XII Fvlminata established a bridgehead on Africa.

Legio II Traiana Fortis and XXI Rapax just took Byzantium in a surprise move.

A legion is a general, one first plus 9 normal cohorts, 4 archer auxilia, 2 calvalry and 2 heavy onagers or another 2 cavalry. Army upkeep is 113k right now.

I'm playing it slow. I rather move legions back to retrain, which seems to keep their experience, instead of having a supply train follow them to refill the cohorts.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    Very cool, again I like that there is no overwhelming faction yet and lots of balance. Macedon is heading straight for the Baltic again... glad we're going to have that hole filled with some new factions soon...
    This is the first time in like 5-6 campaigns that I have seen Macedonia do well. Once Epirius crushed it, once the Getae finished em off...most of the time they get in a brutal 4-way with Greece and Epirius and free people's, and I'll mop them up as whomever I'm playing. Gaul is typical strong, but not overwhelming at the moment...so they are next on my hit parade. Surprisingly, the Germans are struggling at the moment...they normally are very big and powerful.

@ Roest Yeah, fresh troops do delude your experience...but I find value in keeping the legion in the field, only retraining at their base when absolutely necessary. Also, I try to add reinforcements to units w/o heavy casualities, and then combine really hurt units. I add fresh cohorts after that to take their place at the front of the battle line (a la hastati )
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimius pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.

Any reason why you guys seem to always try and take Africa?

For me, it seems like it would stretch my lines- i would rather consolidate by getting rid of Gaul and Macedon which allows me to control all of Greece and alot of western europe.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusTullius View Post
    I'm not taking Africa. There's a legion base where i can repair it. So i'm killing a couple of stacks and repair, rince repeat. When it's time for Africa i should have a legion with all units with tripple gold chevrons.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusTullius View Post

For me, it seems like it would stretch my lines- i would rather consolidate by getting rid of Gaul and Macedon which allows me to control all of Greece and alot of western europe.
    When fighting Carthage, I take their capital and the coastal regions. Also, Carthage can recruit 2 legions and is usually fairly built up. As for the rest of Africa...it's sort of a backwater campaign. I'm using 3 "Auxilia" legions to take it, and at a conveniently slow pace. If I can slowly take and exterminate cities on the interior of Africa...why not. If a city becomes a pest, I usually leave it alone or force it to rebel if it's a drain on economy. My main fighting Legions are campaigning in Gaul and protecting the frontier to Germania and Macedon...

Quote Originally Posted by Globalhead View Post
    When fighting Carthage, I take their capital and the coastal regions. Also, Carthage can recruit 2 legions and is usually fairly built up. As for the rest of Africa...it's sort of a backwater campaign. I'm using 3 "Auxilia" legions to take it, and at a conveniently slow pace. If I can slowly take and exterminate cities on the interior of Africa...why not. If a city becomes a pest, I usually leave it alone or force it to rebel if it's a drain on economy. My main fighting Legions are campaigning in Gaul and protecting the frontier to Germania and Macedon...
    Ah ok, fair enough. My war with Carthage lasted about 10 turns when I took Scicily. After that, although we're still at war I havent been attacked.

I'll probably get more involved with Carthage after I finish off the Iberians.

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

Above I have focused on my newly opened eastern front where independent Illyricum and the province north of that have just been conquered. I sent four legions for this campaign because I had to respond to Macedonia's growing influence in the region. It didn't take long for them to be provoked enough to risk an attack on my forces which had been placed in strategic positions in both regions. Since I had the advantage of forcing the enemy to fight on my terms I beat four full stacks in two turns with minimal losses. Now one of the two southern legions is laying siege to Dyrrhachium while the other one is holding of the reinforcements coming from the north.

In Transalpine Gaul the Gauls (duh..) have finally responded to me occupying Mediolanum. They sent five full stacks through the two northernmost passes leading into Italy and managed to grind my best legion to dust, although it was never defeated. The commanding general was killed heroically in the legion's final stand where the last of three full stack gaul armies was just barely defeated. The battle marker south of the bridge west of Segesta marks the site of that famous battle.

Now only two full stacks of the gaul assault force remain, the two laying siege to Mediolanum, and I am in the process of surrounding them with two fresh legions consisting of VE legionaries while a veteran legion is guarding the northern pass in a fortified position.

Btw, I love playing a slow paced campaign which is as close to history as I can make it. That is why I haven't expanded further than this at 238BC. I'm also holding off the Marian reforms for now since it feels too early to have access to numbered legions.

Nice screenshots, I love the epic feel that RTW gets on such a huge scale map!

Ive been playing as pergamum. I started this when i first got this mod so its on medium dificulty but still alot of fun. I expanded all the way west till i took sicily then i invaded italy. The romans gave me no end of trouble for a long time till i finaly got them on the run and wiped them out but the ptolemaics decided to attack my home city. I didnt respond for ages but as soon as the gauls where beaten back i decided to go all out however the only fighting hapening at the moment is that small island that rebeled to the carthaginians.

As you can see i dont keep my people very happy just enough that they dont go rebeling all over the place but i guess thats the price for expanding constantly.
    Last edited by genko; August 27, 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    Ive been playing as pergamum. I started this when i first got this mod so its on medium dificulty but still alot of fun. I expanded all the way west till i took sicily then i invaded italy. The romans gave me no end of trouble for a long time till i finaly got them on the run and wiped them out but the ptolemaics decided to attack my home city. I didnt respond for ages but as soon as the gauls where beaten back i decided to go all out however the only fighting hapening at the moment is that small island that rebeled to the carthaginians.

As you can see i dont keep my people very happy just enough that they dont go rebeling all over the place but i guess thats the price for expanding constantly.
    Very interesting map, first time I have seen the bosphorans so successful in an AI campaign...sweet Also, in my first campaign after 1.10 patch, I went medium/medium after all the scary talk. Since then, all my campaigns are H/H...but to tell the truth, I didn't notice alot of difference between M/M and H/H...
    Last edited by Globalhead; August 27, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

The Cimmerian bosphoran have established a decent sized territory in my save as well (see above). I'm allied with them and keep them strong with regular gifts of denarii and hope to persuade them into war with the macedonians soon enough.

I have a similar thing going with Pontus who are at war with the mighty Ptolemy's. I give them 20 000-30 000 each turn to support their war effort to keep the Ptolemaic Empire from gaining too strong a foothold in Asia minor.

You've got to keep the world in balance so it is easier to conquer once you get there yourself! ;-)