Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New way for workers to get back power.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default New way for workers to get back power.

This is a way worker orginizations can have more power over their employers, and they won't have to worry about striking. Buy stock in the company if the company tries to screw you you and other workers threaten to sell the stock causing the stock to lose value.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: New way for workers to get back power.

Only in the short term is value of stock effected by buying and selling activity. Over the long term the value of a stock is based on the present value of future profits.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Still it could be affected if say 100,000 workers each holding 10 shares dumped those shares in a short amount of time?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljan View Post
    Still it could be affected if say 100,000 workers each holding 10 shares dumped those shares in a short amount of time?
    For the workers to have a say in management they would have to own a considerable portion of the stock. There are only several dozen companies in the USA a with payrolls that large, walmart being the largest with 1.8 million, McDonalds second with 447,000. Those companies have hundreds of millions to billions of shares.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

How much is a walmart share though?

Simple truths

And how much power is a walmart share? Nice idea though - that way they'd actually work and stop making claims in order to want to increase their stocks value ...
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; August 01, 2007 at 07:07 PM.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Pshaw. The workers need to "get back" power? That's silly. They already have way more than all the power they need in unions.

So your answer is for more union membership Thanatos? I like it
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljan View Post
    How much is a walmart share though?
    As of the close of business today it was $46.22, with 4.1 billion shares for a market capitalization of $189.91 billion.

-Ella Hill

Okay that idea goes down the trash shoot.

Simple truths

Thanatos' idea about union membership is good though.
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Unions!? Great Idea but nowadays unless its a goverment job unions have little say at all in their pay.

Simple truths

Depends on how active the membership is, and how well they can state their case to the public, besides what is bearable to employers. And the worm will turn as far as administrations friendly to labor, nothing lasts forever.

Unions get in the way of good capitalism.

So nice to see you drop in posioner explain why.

Simple truths

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

I won't be back on the threads until way later today, but here goes anyways.

The problem, Kiljan, is that unions make it nearly impossible to fire anyone, which is absolutely terrible. If stores can't even fire the employees they hire, then all those employees are, are parasites.

Unions exist only to make you unfire-able, and to pay you more than you're worth.

I however, would still not want to see us return to the days of the Industrial Revolution.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Unions exist only to make you unfire-able, and to pay you more than you're worth.
    And who is right to determine value of the worker? Employers hire cheapest labor available, is that a good way to determine worker price for the company, absolutely not.

When you are first time sacked from a job just to raise stock holders bank account, or you need to take a job with unrealistic low payment compared to job you are doing to support your family, you will realise how important it's to have third party control over employment, salaries, work safety, etc.

Don't live in a fantasy world where companies are victims of the unions, it's far from that, once you get older you will notice how the real world works.
    Last edited by Ragabash; August 02, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Actually I'm quite a bit older and I have many problems with unions. On one side I do see the benefits of them, on the other, I see some unions as being jus tas greedy and non-employee interested as the companies they claim to oppose. Part of the reason why many factories up and left is because the unions would not budge on certain things.

But granted, things are far more complicated then that. My gripe with unions is that some can be elitist. I lost work because of a union that changed its rules which made me have to work an extra three years to gain entry and in time I had to leave that career for health issues that would have been covered had I been able to join in the first place. Also, recall several times where I had to teach these union folk how to do their job because they got into the union through nepitism and back door policies that I was not lucky enough to gain.

On the other side, because the union exists, my pay in the non-union world is much better. So, as I said, love hate relationship.

As for the original point of this thread. I am an ardent supporter of employee stock ownership and I believe every company should have an ESOP plan.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    And who is right to determine value of the worker? Employers hire cheapest labor available, is that a good way to determine worker price for the company, absolutely not.

When you are first time sacked from a job just to raise stock holders bank account, or you need to take a job with unrealistic low payment compared to job you are doing to support your family, you will realise how important it's to have third party control over employment, salaries, work safety, etc.

Don't live in a fantasy world where companies are victims of the unions, it's far from that, once you get older you will notice how the real world works.
    Not all employers hire the cheapest labor availible. Anyone who takes a job with unrealistic low pay does so out of desperation, not choice. Employers will pay more if you have more training. Why do a lot of people ask for college graduates when you have to pay them more? Because they are more educated, and often make better employees. Which is a direct violation of your claims. I suggest you step out of your fantasy world and take notice of how the real world works. Nobody forces anyone to take a job.

SoYes something is forcing them Posioner its called being able to feed themselves.

Simple truths

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast