Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is life in outer space a proof of false religions

Default Re: Is life in outer space a proof of false religions

numerics would enable us to communicate with any sentient being-- numbers are constant and universal.

I totally disagree that they would abandon religion because they are advanced-- in fact they would simply have more advanced religions.

and likely not , people were rarely persecuted for heresy unless they were objectionable in more ways than a religious one ( usually racial hatreds)

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

I always found it strange that the Abrahamic religions never mentioned anything in the Americas or Asia (other than the Middle East/South West Asia). All the events take place in the Middle East, the Chinese are never mentioned even though they inhabited such a large part of the world.

well we humans have, a nesesity of religion, and, maybe education will end with some ways of religion but in the end we need it, because of the same reason we ned the feling of a trust worthy sstate, because we feel safe, and superstitin is increasing as a product of cience, people cant handle to much noleg in so litile time, just as carl seagan stated in the demons of Eden
    "The chickens don't seem to mind"

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

Need of a religion or better sed belief in something is a state of mind. I am atheist and i don't have any proplems living and some day dying without believing in God or anything else.
    It is not a psygological need or fysical. There are many basick needs that humans have and none of them is belief in something like God.

1.Water
    2.Food

Once these are filled we stay alive and can start to want something else. The nex ones influence to the sanity.

3.Sleep
    4.another humanbeing
    5.open space
    6.touch of another human being(also sex but it comes later)
    7.Exercise or moving in general
    etc.

Need to believe in higher being comes somewhere around 100-150 long after sex.
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Kasemacher View Post
    I always found it strange that the Abrahamic religions never mentioned anything in the Americas or Asia (other than the Middle East/South West Asia). All the events take place in the Middle East, the Chinese are never mentioned even though they inhabited such a large part of the world.
    Its rather difficult to incorporate things in your religion if you dont know much about them or even know if they exist at all (america). The lack of mention of various important things should be proof enough that god doesn't exist (or if he does that he isnt responsible for our religious beliefs). Think about it, if people really had divine inspiration then they would undoubtedly know of things that they themselves were never exposed to or had any way of understanding. Besides what possible reason would god have to keep himself secret from most of the world? Does he just not give a crap about the Incas or Japanese?

ïm an atheist too, but the most people have been raised with belef, most i am comfortable with myself, i do not beelif in anithing that ant be proven, dont take me wrong, but no mather who educated is the average joe, there will be religion, 90% of people are religious, and that mayority either needs it or has benn educated against it, reigion will not disapear in a thousand years, bu why do you want it to disapear it gives hope to some people, and the (holy) rigth to abuse others (and charge a 10% tax) to others.
    "The chickens don't seem to mind"

Just because in some Scriptures it is mentioned that God created the Earth and the Heaven, does not mean He made nothing else.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Thats faulty logic jankren. If it doent say he did then one must assume he didnt.

by the way, it may be that when the bible was put together, god only gave us as much information as we could understand for the succeeding 2000 years. You have to admit that 2000 years ago we probably would not have trusted any holy text that told us that there were aliens out there unless we had a corpse at our feet

Quote Originally Posted by Glade View Post
    Thats faulty logic jankren. If it doent say he did then one must assume he didnt.
    Just because I tell you that I have a mother does not mean that I dont have a father unless I tell you specifically that I ONLY have a mother.

So, unless the Scripture says specifically that God created the Earth ONLY, then it is also faulty logic to think that it means He did not make anything else.

By the way, does the Bible specifically say that God ONLY created the Earth?
    Last edited by jankren; August 01, 2007 at 01:09 AM.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Life in outer space is just the stuff God didn't mention to his prophets because it would require "and on the eigth day..." and totally mess up the nice tidy all in a week thing.

Unless ive been reading the wrong book god did "give" us any information at all. Also this doesn't take into account peoples various levels of intellect and education. What is beyond the understanding of some may be simple for others. By not including enough information for the more educated of his flock god is knowingly turning them away from him. The bible and other religious texts dont withstand even the most basic of scrutinies. Its simply unreasonable and illogical to expect people to fill the hollowness of the bible with enough faith so as to make it a solid.

note- im not a realy religious person but i do consider myself Chatholic

no i do not think it will affect religion at all if one is knowledgable of thier religion. for instance ppl say the bible doesnt say anything about it ..exactly the bible has nothing to do wit other worlds and no where in the bible does it say, reference, or imply that life does not exist besides earth.(i have very hard religion teachers so i kno some stuff)

im my opinion if they found other life it would not effect me religiously (but thats my opinion)

Indefinitely Banned

Contrary to what the religious will tell you the discovery of intelligent Alien life forms will indeed completely shatter the foundations of Islam and Christianity.

One of the central foundations of these two religions is the fact that God/Allah created the entire universe with humanity in mind.

Which is why God/Allah gave us a mind and conscience, to rule over and rape the earth as we please. This is both a position of Christianity and Islam.

Another intelligent lifeform would shatter that notion just as the discovery of foreign civilizations and religions helped erode a big part of Christian faith and to a lesser degree Islamic faith.

Of course religions like Buddhism and Hinduism wont be affected much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Just because I tell you that I have a mother does not mean that I dont have a father unless I tell you specifically that I ONLY have a mother.

So, unless the Scripture says specifically that God created the Earth ONLY, then it is also faulty logic to think that it means He did not make anything else.

By the way, does the Bible specifically say that God ONLY created the Earth?
    No, it doesnt. What it does say is that the rest of the universe wasnt created untill the 4th day. This makes every other celestial body younger than the earth which is simply not true. The earth is by far from the oldest.

Now for the mother, father comment this would be a more accurate example. Telling someone that you have only one parent. Instead of assuming that you were a baby made by extracting the dna from one womans bone marrow and injected into another womans egg its more logical to accume that your dad is either dead, not there or that your adopted. The least far fetched explanation should always be assumed unless you have a reason to suspect otherwise.

exactly it only refers to us humanity (for whom the bible was made) that we were given earth but that doesnt mean anything about aliens at all bc i doubt that they would have a part in the bible that would say hey n by the way guys there are aliens ..just so u kno..

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Actually upon considering the question, no, no it doesn't provide proof of false religions at all. It would just povide more basis UFO cults, Scientology, and Raelienism.

If u think on it there is no answer to this question it all depends on each persons opinion

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

Thats why debates are for. Debates are not for getting an exact answer. They are also not for making opinions closer to others. Debates are for opinions to come forward and to exband ones visions of things.

Well it has been somewhat proven that earth whas not made 4000 years ago. Also it has been proven that all the stars and planets and universe in general is not just 3999 years old.
    This does not destroy the very foundations of religions altought it should do so in any rational individuals mind.
    This might lead to believe that life in outerspace does not do so either.
    It just makes religious people harder to come up with made up anwers to justify their belief.
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

numerics would enable us to communicate with any sentient being-- numbers are constant and universal.
    They may have a system of numerics very, very different to ours, one that cannot be comprehended and vice versa. We cannot imagine it as we are too used to our system, and our minds are geared to it.

I totally disagree that they would abandon religion because they are advanced-- in fact they would simply have more advanced religions.
    No such thing

and likely not , people were rarely persecuted for heresy unless they were objectionable in more ways than a religious one ( usually racial hatreds)
    Wrong again. the cathar's were nobles in southern France and were completely wiped out for believing earth was hell, slaughtered, burned, whatever came to mind. Nothing racial or monetary there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast