Thread: Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt Expecting skeletons.

Default Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt Expecting skeletons.

I have a preety good laptop that i use to play RTW and i was playing it one day and out of the blue i get a Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt Expecting skeletons. i did have RTR Platnium installed so i thought that was it so i Unistalled RTW and BI (Gold Edition) and deleted RTR and still even on neewly installed villia i get that message is something wrong with my cds i was playing it perfectly no problems for about 2 weeks before . can any one help me i am running vista is that a problem?

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Default Re: Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt Expecting skeletons.

I'm relatively sure that its illegal to redistribute even parts of the game if the files are unmodified.

Anyway, the game should work fine on Vista from what i know - check to make sure your CD isnt scratched or some such, it may just have dust on it.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Oh sorry Spiff just tried to help

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

No i got the same error

"Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt, at line 2, column 1.
    Expecting skeletons."

this has never happened too me before to make it worse it is an fresh install and patched it to 1.5 and BI is not istalled WHAT THE&T^^&%^&^&%^&%^&^&^&%^& Any one got any idea of how to fix?

file is there and everything looks ok what is the problem is my computer being stupid ,the cd do have some scratches but i have worse of games that still play wonderful

Civitate

Hmmm, you could always try a mod that edits that file so you get a fresh, working version, albeit you will have to play the mod as well - but that ain't so bad!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

BigJake's Avatar Tiro

go into your rome directory (C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data) and find the text file called "descr_model_battle".

if you are using a unmodded version of rome then it should look like this...

;
    ; This file contains the model linkages for both strategy map and battlefield; it gets
    ; parsed on application startup but is not otherwise referred to. The data format is thus:
    ;
    ; ; indicates a comment ;-)
    ;
    ; type indicates a new model type
    ;
    ; must be followed by id name string
    ;
    ; skeleton indicates which skeletons should be used for these models
    ; must be followed by id name string (cf descr_skeleton.txt); the
    ; first skeleton is used for the primary weapon (geometry marked in
    ; file as "primary weapon"), the second is used for the secondary
    ; weapon (which should be marked as "secondary weapon")
    ;
    ; skeleton_horse alternate skeletons can be provided for models that need to be able to work
    ; skeleton_elephant in multiple units, i.e generals. If alternate skeletons are specified the normal skeleton
    ; skeleton_camel (the one specified with the skeleton keyword) is the infantry skeleton.
    ; skeleton_chariot For generals all alternate skeletons must be specified
    ;
    ; scale (optional) this indicates a global scaling factor to be applied to
    ; the model - as always, it's your responsibility to make sure that
    ; the size of the model and the size of its skeleton match!
    ;
    ; indiv_range indicates at what point we start rendering men individually even if
    ; we can 'group render'
    ;
    ; must be followed by an integer (whole number) range in metres
    ;
    ; group render means the whole unit will be rendered using one
    ; model, individual render means the soldiers will be tested
    ; individually for which model lod to use (slower)
    ;
    ; (models) there must be at least one; the model_ keywords indicate a new model in
    ; the lod series; each must be followed by a filename and either the
    ; lod range in metres or the word 'max' for maximum range... all lods
    ; must be in order, from shortest distance (highest detail) to furthest
    ; distance. The model_ keywords are *so on....*:
    now yours says there is an error at line 2, column 1. thats the area i have put in red in the text above.

check if your text has the ";" sign. this sign basically means to ignore anything after it on that line. so when your game is looking for a units model info it is instead finding this "This file contains the model linkages for both strategy map and battlefield; it gets".

hope that helps

I did I installed RTR platnium and still no luck but i did happen to get it working after i patched the file to 1.5 and then after i exited the program then later tried to play it wouldent work he same error accoured, so i patched it agian and the samething happend would work one but then the error would comeback sp* sry

---------------------------
    Rome: Total War
    Script Error in data/descr_model_battle.txt, at line 2, column 1.
    Expecting skeletons.
    OK

reply to sean
    Last edited by Likeyogirl; July 31, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

;
    ; This file contains the model linkages for both strategy map and battlefield; it gets
    ; parsed on application startup but is not otherwise referred to. The data format is thus:
    ;
    ; ; indicates a comment ;-)
    ;
    ; type indicates a new model type
    ;
    ; must be followed by id name string
    ;

Thats what the first few line look like on my file (vanilla un modded)
    they look the same

BigJake's Avatar Tiro

well then i have no idea what the problem could be

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Maybe upload your vanilla dmb file?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

No allowed to ask?
    Then my question is deleted
    Last edited by Turk; August 02, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Busy!!!

Civitate

It is illegal to upload and download unmodded CA files, which is not tolerated here at TWC, nor is asking for them.

Well, that's pretty stupid - all mod downloads are therefore illegal as they contain unmodded files too.

Where did this new rule come from? I am sure it should be more specifically defined.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Well, that's pretty stupid - all mod downloads are therefore illegal as they contain unmodded files too.

Where did this new rule come from? I am sure it should be more specifically defined.
    It is illegal to request specific files.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post

It's not a new rule it is just one that doesn't apply to game modifications and therefore rarely invoked. Providing a vanilla file in a modification package in no way violates TWC (or to my knowledge CA) policies. Asking for or providing just vanilla files does. Intentional workarounds (such as adding a period to one file and calling it modded) are obviously also not allowed.

It's a whole different world outside of the dev and modding forums

Policy understood and digested.

I found the problem wich is very stupid problem I cant play RTW on any other user account but owner but BI i can play on every account i dident even know it could block my play but thabks for your help everyone