Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO DEO ET REGE v0.4: Feedback and Discussion

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default PRO DEO ET REGE v0.4: Feedback and Discussion

MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR:

UPDATE: PDER v0.4 RELEASED!

Proud to announce that Pro Deo et Rege v0.4 has been released. Please post any feedaback or suggestions in this thread! Cheers!

NEW FOR PDER v0.4:
    *NEW TEXTURES AND SHIELDS FOR DENMARK thanks to joedreck and Salty of Kings Banner Project fame and the upcoming Art of War!
    *NEW GENOESE TEXTURES
    *NEW TEXTURES AND SHIELDS for HUNGARY thanks to Csatádi, Hunor, Matko and the rest of the Magyar Mod Team!
    *BILLYDILLY'S HERALDRY MOD with revised descriptions by Pope_Fred_I.
    *ALL NEW UNITS
    --LAca's BYZANTINE HEAVY SPEARMEN
    --EARLY ERA NORMAN KNIGHTS
    --ITALIAN PAVISE SPEARMEN
    --LEVY SWORDSMEN MILITIA
    --DISMOUNTED HUNGARIAN NOBLES
    --NEW HUNGARIAN NOBLE MODEL
    --REVISED POLISH NOBLES MODEL
    --NEW POLISH NOBLE SWORDSMEN
    --CABALLEROS HIDALGOS
    *ALL NEW FEUDAL ESTATE BUILDING LINE
    --KNIGHT'S FIEF - allows for the recruitment of Mailed Knights and their retainers
    --BARON'S MANOR - allows for the recruitment of Feudal Knights and their retainers
    --ROYAL ESTATE - allows for the recruitment of Chivalric Knights and their retainers
    *BUG-FIXING
    *BALANCING
    *AND MORE!!

Last edited by Socal_infidel; July 30, 2007 at 09:29 AM.

Ordinarius

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE v0.4: Feedback and Discussion

Alright then, let's see if I can remember some of the suggestions I had...

Early Norman Knights need balancing - they're just too good right now, a good deal better than later Norman Knights. Make them a superior version of Mailed Knights, preferably inferior to Order Knights at least. Dismounted version is fine, balance-wise.

Muslim Archers should be available to Sicily in any historically Muslim province, as they represent Muslim troops fighting for the Kingdom of Sicily and are not necessarily tied to a particular geographical area. It feels weird to be able to train Muslim Archers in Calabria but not in the Middle East as Sicily.

Order Knights of all kinds probably need a balance rethink, particularly the dismounted ones, which are basically equivalent to dismounted mailed knights, losing their usefulness even when armour upgrades for them are taken into account. Also, for factions like Sicily, their dismounted Norman Knights are so incredibly superior to the Order knights that it's just not funny.

Brother-Sergeants are weak-ish but fine like that, I think. They're reliable enough as medium infantry. Seems weird that the description says they have mail armour but their armour is set to 0, though. And they can be upgraded to have padded armour (all the way through to heavy mail) but appearance doesn't change (I presume that's a WIP thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Mechstra View Post
    Alright then, let's see if I can remember some of the suggestions I had...

Early Norman Knights need balancing - they're just too good right now, a good deal better than later Norman Knights. Make them a superior version of Mailed Knights, preferably inferior to Order Knights at least. Dismounted version is fine, balance-wise.

Muslim Archers should be available to Sicily in any historically Muslim province, as they represent Muslim troops fighting for the Kingdom of Sicily and are not necessarily tied to a particular geographical area. It feels weird to be able to train Muslim Archers in Calabria but not in the Middle East as Sicily.

Order Knights of all kinds probably need a balance rethink, particularly the dismounted ones, which are basically equivalent to dismounted mailed knights, losing their usefulness even when armour upgrades for them are taken into account. Also, for factions like Sicily, their dismounted Norman Knights are so incredibly superior to the Order knights that it's just not funny.

Brother-Sergeants are weak-ish but fine like that, I think. They're reliable enough as medium infantry. Seems weird that the description says they have mail armour but their armour is set to 0, though. And they can be upgraded to have padded armour (all the way through to heavy mail) but appearance doesn't change (I presume that's a WIP thing).
    Heh! Thanks for reposting these suggestions! Appreciate them!

Yes, for next release I really need to address unit balancing methinks. I'll be sure to keep all your suggestions in mind.

That's a good suggestion with regards to the Sicilian Muslim Archers. I guess my only concern is that Sicilians would also have access to regional Archers troops too [e.g. Desert Archers, ME Crossbowmen, etc]. Nah, I guess you're right.

As an aside, I started up a Venetian campaign last night. My word was the Holy Roman Empire nasty! I was able to fend off an invasion force in the Alps and a river battle outside Bologna, but they launched a three-front assault on my Alps fort, Bologna and Venice! I was simply outmanned on these. Ending up losing Bologna and Venice. Reduced to Zara, Crete and that rebellious Jerusalem! Fun campaign so far!

I need some Venetian Heavy Infantry fast!

Ordinarius

Oh yeah, the HRE are a powerhouse in my Sicily campaign. They have lands stretching from the Low Countries to Hungary and Poland, taking in most of Northern Italy too. It's mad - they're far and away the most powerful faction.

Quote Originally Posted by qnzkid711 View Post
    I was wondering. Are there any plans of making Albanian mercenaries or regional recruits of any sort? They are useful for the western Balkans, Dyrrachium era. They acted in the revolt of Maniakes against the Byzantine state and also took a significant role in Guiscards campaign:

According to Anna Komnene :

as Robert was being worried on all sides by the so-called Albanians and by the natives of Dalmatia sent by Bodinus.

and earlier

And the Emperor rode along the windings of the surrounding mountains and the almost impassable tracks, and after two days and nights made his way out of them and reached Achrida. On this journey be crossed the river Charzanes and rested a little in the secluded valley called Babagora, and his spirit was not broken by his defeat nor by the other accidents of the battle nor would he give way to the pain of the wound in his forehead ; and though inwardly he was consumed with sorrow for those who had fallen in the battle, especially for the, heroes who had fought so bravely, yet, above all, his mind was wholly occupied with the thought of Dyrrachium. For he reflected with pain that this town was left without a governor, as Palaeologus had been unable to re-enter it after the battle was lost. So he secured the safety of the inhabitants as far as possible by entrusting the custody of the Acropolis to the chiefs of the Venetian colonists there, and the care of the rest of the city to Comiscortes of Albanian origin to whom he transmitted orders by letter.

On the Maniakes revolt:

Unfortunately, the people who had once been our allies and who possessed the same rights as citizens and the same religion, i.e. the Albanians and the Latins, who live in the Italian regions of our Empire beyond Western Rome, quite suddenly became enemies when Michael Dokenianos insanely directed his command against their leaders...

The aforementioned George with the surname Maniakes, thirsting for blood, began an uprising in the Italian part of the Empire with Byzantine and Albanian soldiers there, being offended because the emperor had shown him a lack of respect and fearing the emperor in view of previous hostilities. He caused great turmoil in the rest of the army opposing him and took it over. After having set up his camp at a two days' march from Thessalonika, he made his attack on the imperial camp in the evening...

The troops are described by other Byzantine sources as being lightly armed, very mountain oriented, and generally good as speermen and/or archers. Their nature is more along the line of rebels and mercenaries/regional recruits in the Dyrrachium area, along the south-middle Adriatic near Ragusa and Epirus. But they are units that were used along the Adriatic and southern Italy, so their abundance is not negligible.

By the 12th and 13th ce there is also the use of Albanian light cavalrymen. They would likely carry thin armor, at most padded, with a shield and spear.

All this IF you are not yet all done with troops...
    There are Albanian Cavalry available in those regions in around the 14th century, I believe.

What would the Spearmen/Archers look like dress/armor-wise?

Cheers!

Yellow color of Denmark has not liked. Red color of Genoa disputable. Hungary has turned out perfectly.

It will be possible to use artillery in this version?

It is possible to use version 0,4 laid out two days ago?
    Last edited by USTAS; July 30, 2007 at 04:40 PM.

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

I started a Genova campaign, so far one of the strangest I had in awhile. I was pretty much at war with HRE, Venice, and Sicily from the get go. The odd thing was all three would declare war on me, fight a few years, and then make peace/trade. Only to have all three declare war again the following two or three turns later. After 100 years, I kicked HRE from Italy, pushed Venice to Serbia, and whacked Sicily, now I dont even bother making peace with HRE or Venice. On the side, Spain would attack, peace, and attack again every 10 years. I suppose it was good thing I went the money route instead of building up military, I just buy mercs and supply from Genoa, Pisu, and the two islands. Go go gadget Italian Spear Militia!
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Laetus

Just downloading this at the mo so I haven't played this version yet. Just one quick thing on the UI, is there any chance you could change the northern european castle mesh to be the southern europe one. Currently it bares zero resemblance to Northern european architecture and I looked through the files and it is classed under eastern european as well.

I really like your mod but for me it's way too difficult, more about me being crap then anything else.

Yeah anyways, well done and thanks.

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

What would the Spearmen/Archers look like dress/armor-wise?
    They would probably not be far off from other Balkan units.

Here in the front cover is a representation of an Albanian archer
    http://www.amazon.com/Hungary-Easter...5848711&sr=8-1

Also, sorry, upon closer look at the primary source, it said "lancer" rather then spearman:

From the Anonymi descriptio Europae orientalis:

Now we come to speak of Albania, which, on its southern side, is right next to Greece and is situated between Rascia and the land of the Despot. Albania is a rather extensive and large region. It has warlike inhabitants indeed, for they make excellent archers and lancers.

As for the spearman, you can scratch that for now. Im have not been able to find sufficient primary sources for them unfortunately. I have to assume that there were infantrymen besides archers, otherwise they wouldnt have been as significant to Maniakes, but I cant find any details besides that....
    Last edited by qnzkid711; July 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM.

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

Btw, I was wondering. Social_infidel, have you done all the work by yourself? I dont see a list of teammates here...

Nice work. And if you are doing it alone, amazing work.

PS: Im Dling the mod right now.
    Last edited by qnzkid711; July 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Thanks so much for the hard work! I really love this mod. It adds tons to my gamefun. I think you seem to add in the stuff I would if I could (but I can't and I don't have the time to learn how to).

So thanks a lot!

Greetings Social_Infidel!

Been playing a campaign with Genova since you put the new version up, and I have to say this rocks!

I figured I would try to play a game where I tried to keep my reputation up. Currently I'm at very reliable, if it wasn't for nations I was allied to going to war with each other it would be higher. I started off the game by allying with Sicily, Venice, and HRE - didn't want anyone catching me with my pants down. Milan quickly revolted from the HRE and I swooped in and snatched it up, man does it make alot of cash. Venice betrayed me the turn after by besieging Milan and then left once I brought a full stack into view (they had a 1/4 stack). Pretty much just been at war with Venice most of the game while buying territory from Germans. I've taken all of the Venetian provinces including the province of Zagreb that they had taken to retreat from Venice. They finally settled down in the province just north of Ras (can't remember the name). Loving it so far

I have a question about crusading in the holy land though. I know the distance to capitol and religious unrest effects have been increased, and I was wondering what a good strategy for taking the holy land was. Before attacking Antioch on crusade, I made sure to send my Pope squad of about 5 priest to the land to convert it a little. It was at 55% Catholic when I invaded and I had a little more than half a stack of soldiers left after taking it, but they still revolted. Now I just occupied it because i'm trying to keep my reputation up, so I'm assuming the best thing is to just slaughter them and start over? Anything i'm missing or does that sound like the best bet?

Thanks again for the awesome mod and good luck in your future modding endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by USTAS View Post
    Yellow color of Denmark has not liked. Red color of Genoa disputable. Hungary has turned out perfectly.

It is possible to use version 0,4 laid out two days ago?
    Sorry you don't like new Danish skins, from what I understand the blue/yellow scheme is more historically accurate. If it's disputable, that means there are arguments on both side, no? Glad you liked Hungary though. What do you think of the revised Hungarian Nobles and the Dismounted Hungarian Nobles? I actually started up a Hungarian campaign last night. Never played them before, but it's off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by izanagi11 View Post
    I started a Genova campaign, so far one of the strangest I had in awhile. I was pretty much at war with HRE, Venice, and Sicily from the get go. The odd thing was all three would declare war on me, fight a few years, and then make peace/trade. Only to have all three declare war again the following two or three turns later. After 100 years, I kicked HRE from Italy, pushed Venice to Serbia, and whacked Sicily, now I dont even bother making peace with HRE or Venice. On the side, Spain would attack, peace, and attack again every 10 years. I suppose it was good thing I went the money route instead of building up military, I just buy mercs and supply from Genoa, Pisu, and the two islands. Go go gadget Italian Spear Militia!
    The Holy Roman Empire is a bully. And tough. Seems like a good Genoese strategy. I played a campaign with them just after I released this version and I tended to do the same - rely on Mercs to fill out your army when needed and disband when not needed. And rely on those free upkeep Italian Militia units.

Also, you need to take Venice as soon as you can - that place was raking in 12K florins for me during my abbreviated Venetian campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by cHeal View Post
    Just downloading this at the mo so I haven't played this version yet. Just one quick thing on the UI, is there any chance you could change the northern european castle mesh to be the southern europe one. Currently it bares zero resemblance to Northern european architecture and I looked through the files and it is classed under eastern european as well.

I really like your mod but for me it's way too difficult, more about me being crap then anything else.

Yeah anyways, well done and thanks.
    Don't know if that's possible. I'm sure it is, though.

Don't dispair. Focus on your economy and disband any units you don't need initially. Pick and choose your initial targets carefully. The economy is tough, but from the random campaigns I've started up I was always in the black unless at-war.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by qnzkid711 View Post
    Btw, I was wondering. Social_infidel, have you done all the work by yourself? I dont see a list of teammates here...

Nice work. And if you are doing it alone, amazing work.

PS: Im Dling the mod right now.
    Thanks for your suggestions about the Albanian units. When I get around to adding more regional units, I'll be sure to keep them in mind.

I've had some help - Pope_Fred_I wrote up the revised royal titles descriptions and came up with some Cardinal and priest ancillaries I'm hoping to implement in the next version (e.g.Cardinal Camerlengo, etc). Tanmos came up with the logo/signature banner and will be working on graphics for upcoming releases.

And there are some amazing modders who have allowed me to use their impressive work!

But yes, most of the ideas and implementation/integration were done my me. It's basically my personal mod that I started working on in March because none of the other mods were quite what I was looking for. Gosh, I hated being able to recruit Camel Gunners in France - really killed immersion for me! So here you have it - PRO DEO ET REGE!

Thanks for downloading it. Be sure to post any suggestions/feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by ENSAIS View Post
    Thanks so much for the hard work! I really love this mod. It adds tons to my gamefun. I think you seem to add in the stuff I would if I could (but I can't and I don't have the time to learn how to).

So thanks a lot!
    You're quite welcome! Nice sig!

Quote Originally Posted by JethroKirby View Post
    Greetings Social_Infidel!

Been playing a campaign with Genova since you put the new version up, and I have to say this rocks!

I figured I would try to play a game where I tried to keep my reputation up. Currently I'm at very reliable, if it wasn't for nations I was allied to going to war with each other it would be higher. I started off the game by allying with Sicily, Venice, and HRE - didn't want anyone catching me with my pants down. Milan quickly revolted from the HRE and I swooped in and snatched it up, man does it make alot of cash. Venice betrayed me the turn after by besieging Milan and then left once I brought a full stack into view (they had a 1/4 stack). Pretty much just been at war with Venice most of the game while buying territory from Germans. I've taken all of the Venetian provinces including the province of Zagreb that they had taken to retreat from Venice. They finally settled down in the province just north of Ras (can't remember the name). Loving it so far

I have a question about crusading in the holy land though. I know the distance to capitol and religious unrest effects have been increased, and I was wondering what a good strategy for taking the holy land was. Before attacking Antioch on crusade, I made sure to send my Pope squad of about 5 priest to the land to convert it a little. It was at 55% Catholic when I invaded and I had a little more than half a stack of soldiers left after taking it, but they still revolted. Now I just occupied it because i'm trying to keep my reputation up, so I'm assuming the best thing is to just slaughter them and start over? Anything i'm missing or does that sound like the best bet?

Thanks again for the awesome mod and good luck in your future modding endeavors.
    Sounds like a fun campaign you have going! Those Milanese tend not to like being ruled by the Holy Roman Empire. They revolted in my Genovese campaign too! With Milan and Venice, you must be raking in money hand-over-fist!

The Holy Land is tough. I may need to slightly lower distance-to-capital penalty or decrease religious unrest. As I had the same thing with my Venetian campaign. Took Jerusalem no problem. Was able to holy it for a couple of years before it finally revolted. Retook it. Terminated population. Public order then was something like 170%! Good thing I did it too as the Holy Roman Empire sent wave after wave of stacks of Dismounted Mailed Knights and Men-at-arms at me until I lost my Adriatic possessions. Reduced me to Crete and Jerusalem!

Cheers all! Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming! I try my best to listen and implement suggestions!

whats the best difficulty combination to play??? im playing in H/H

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus Pertinax View Post
    whats the best difficulty combination to play??? im playing in H/H
    To be honest, I usually play on M/VH. I don't know if that's necessarily the best but I feel the Campaign AI doesn't act so irrationally on that setting - i.e. Dipolomacy makes some sort of sense.

On that note, I'm about to try out Snipafist's By the Sword Campaign AI as I've heard good things about it.

Oh, and sometime next week probably (I want to play a nice campaign first!!!), I'll be releasing an Add-On for this mod containing GrandViz' Ultimate AI and some other goodies.

Ordinarius

I've heard good things about Burrek's blood mod. It should work fine with PDeR seeing as PDeR doesn't deal with blood textures, right?

I've been having holy land woes with my Sicily campaign as well. I decided to honour Bohemund's memory by setting up the Principality of Antioch, and I took Antioch, Homs, and Halab. This pretty much bankrupted me, though, as I needed massive garrisons to keep order, even after exterminating. Full stack in Halab, 50% Catholic, 1100 inhabitants... 70% public order, riots every other turn. Was rather exasperating.
    Last edited by Mechstra; July 31, 2007 at 12:37 PM.

I have constructed Great Hungary from Mainz up to Skopia. But there are no forces to supervise these territories. It is Not enough money,forces...
    [img=http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8249/aa1xd5.th.jpg]
    [img=http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3219/aamj3.th.jpg]
    Hungary Nobles excellent soldiers whom two lives have.

It will be possible to use gunpowder artillery in this version?

It would be desirable more constrained color for Denmark.Yellow color is pertinent for Spain, instead of for Denmark.

Ordinarius

You can use artillery in this version.

And you could use it in the last version, too. So God knows what you're asking here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechstra View Post
    I've heard good things about Burrek's blood mod (I forget the exact title). It should work fine with PDeR seeing as PDeR doesn't deal with blood textures, right?

I've been having holy land woes with my Sicily campaign as well. I decided to honour Bohemund's memory by setting up the Principality of Antioch, and I took Antioch, Homs, and Halab. This pretty much bankrupted me, though, as I needed massive garrisons to keep order, even after exterminating. Full stack in Halab, 50% Catholic, 1100 inhabitants... 70% public order, riots every other turn. Was rather exasperating.
    Burrek's Blood Mod is one of the things I was planning on releasing as an Add-On as soon as I can get around to it. That and Horsearcher's SkyMod [either the original or the beta realistic one] and a few other things.

Yeah, I mentioned it in an earlier post, but religious unrest and distance to capital may have to be slightly toned down. I was able to hold Jerusalem as Venice only after exterminating the local population after they revolted!

Quote Originally Posted by USTAS View Post
    I have constructed Great Hungary from Mainz up to Skopia. But there are no forces to supervise these territories. It is Not enough money,forces...

Hungary Nobles excellent soldiers whom two lives have.

It would be desirable more constrained color for Denmark.Yellow color is pertinent for Spain, instead of for Denmark.
    D'oh! Didn't realize the Dismounted Hungarian Nobles were twice as tough!

Artillery is available in castles at the large town level.

yeah, but yellow and red is spain. Yellow and Blue is Denmark. Plus there are plenty of Red based factions (England, Poland, Genoa).

Cheers! Nice empire you have! I played a Hungarian campaign last night. HRE and Byzantines allied so I felt threatended having two major powers on my borders team up so I went for Byzantine with the goal of laying waste to whatever the Romans threw at me!

Destroyed an army led by their faction heir and took him hostage. Aleksios must not have liked him because he refused to pay ransom so the poor guy had to be dealt with...

Has understood. Thanks.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast