Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would like to know if upgrades will give new skins.

Default I would like to know if upgrades will give new skins.

Well, will upgrades give new skins or not? I think I remembered someone saying they won't, and someone saying they will. and another question concerning plate armor. Since this mod ends in 1400, and plate armor came in the early 1300s, will plate armor be featured with jerusalem?

Default Re: I would like to know if upgrades will give new skins.

Upgrades will not feature armor changes, and plate armor will not be featured. Historically the KoJ would crumble before the arrival of plate armor (They were starting to adopt brigadine like armor in their twilight), and it would basically be a complicated scenario to feature the onset of plate armor.

aw man but I guess to put plate armor would also take too much work since the skins for the mailed troops already great and when most people think crusaders they think mailed men in great helms.... But anyways, since there was no plate armor wouldn't that mean for the whole time muslim armor was superior to christian? the heaviest armor for the christians was mail, while for muslims it was mail+lamellar....

Indefinitely Banned

To be honest, this mod is more focused on the era from 1174 to right before and during the mongol invasions. During this time, I don't think plate became very common yet anyways. And I doubt that plate would transfer to the latin kingdoms if it survived long enough largely due to the heat. If the KoJ had survived and expanded in the ME i think they would have eventually adapted to more lighter forms of warfare anyways.

But wasn't lamellar near the heat of plate? and for weight, plate armor was heavier than mail, however, it felt lighter, as mail, more than 75% of the weight was on the shoulders for the hauberk, because it was one piece. Plate was more like a lot of segments, and the weight was distributed around the whole body.

From what I understand, lamellar breathes, as does mail, but plate does not. As far as I know, more than the sun's heat being absorbed by the metal is the fact that plate would not breath well, especially with a thick cotton dress beneath it. With mail or Lamellar there's a much greater ability to have perspiration breath through and cool yourself off.

Rex Armeniae's Avatar King of Kings

To bad about not having armour upgrades. Eye candy, thats what it is, but i loved that feature in m2tw.
    Հայաստան: Իմ սիրելի Հայաստան:
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.
    - Under the patronage of another Rex Armeniae Drtad | Տրտադ

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Useless eyecandy me thinks, it took me 2 months to realize the upgraded armour was actually shown ingame.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Then u must have played 15 min / week

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

nah, i just barely zoom in. I prefer an overall view of the battlemap
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Indefinitely Banned

I personally never really cared for upgrade skins to be honest. We have more unit variety to compensate for this.

It depends on what kind of gamer you are. Some like eyecandy and graphics more, and some are just for the gameplay and dont care so much about graphics.
    I care for both but I still have a need of getting graphicly pleased

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I think it would be cool to have a top tier KoJ unit that becomes avaliable later on and wearing some sort of heavier armor. Maybe make them tire out quickly, but I think it would be cool to see atleast 1 heavier armored unit.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

upgraded skins are nice, but all in all useless and more unnecessary work. one of the main reasons this mod didn't proceed with upgraded skins is because they were concerned on creating the unique units and and upgraded skin would slow down the process of the mod. if you've ever toyed with the modeldb file, you'll know that upgraded skins are just like creating a brand new unit. and besides there is enough eye candy in bc as is.

Indefinitely Banned

Bdotward.. always speaking wisdom.

If you take a look at the units and their upgrades in Vanilla you'll notice that so many of them look almost identical.

Even units that should be unique and interesting like the Scottish nobles upgrade to look exactly the same as English units like the levy spearmen.

The choice we faced was; have more units and no upgrades, or 1/3rd the units and have upgrades.

I think the choice was easy to make.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Platemail and alikes would have been suicide in the eastern climate. Unforunately that's rarely understood or thought about, so when you have another historical movie coming in expect comments like:

"LOOLLOL OMG! LLOLLLOOLO. DA STUPID PURSIANZ WERRIN CLOTH AGUNZT DA GREEKZ."

Which is funny, since Heavy cavalry was invented in the hot east and hot steppe, back when those who would become famous for it (The germanic knights) were still wielding fire-hardened sticks.

Have you seen any images of early bronze plate? Ugh, what a horrible thing that must have been to wear. They had it, kinda.

What Ahiga said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast