Thread: ~Trade~

Default ~Trade~

There seems to be a problem

I am mecklenburg and only use the original two provinces and the one starting unit

i have 5 merchants in all the Centers of trade

i make something mediocore monthly (as expected)

help?

and 29 annual

why??

trade is supposed to make me rich!
    Last edited by gr33kp1mp777; July 26, 2007 at 01:54 AM.

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Default Re: ~Trade~

Trade does not increase yearly income, but monthly. While yearly income is used to maintain armies, advisors, to build new buildings, recruiting, etc, monthly income is used to either get new technology levels or minting.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

As Ragabash said your trade goes directly into your research, so my suspicion is that what's going on here is that you're doing really well in research and you don't know it. If you want to turn that trade into cash you have to mint (which will result in inflation, but I don't think that's really as big a deal as some people say, as long as you do something with the money once you get it.)

If you want to see how much money you're making off trade go to the ledger and look at your income page. It'll be a list with all the various methods of income and how much you've made off them this year and last. My guess is trade is probably making up a huge chunk of your annual income (probably 90%+).

In my game as Venice I'm making something like 4500 ducats a year off trade, which is 43% of my annual income. Now my trade level is 26 and I have access to every COT on the map, but as you can see there is money to be made here.
    Last edited by ajm317; July 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

haha thanx

i research a new level EVERY year in government!

yay!

now lets talk about trade.......how to increase it keep iot save it etcetcetc

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

The most direct way to increase your trade income is to invest money into trade research. Every level in trade research you get increases your trade efficiency, which in turn affects how much money your merchants make. High trade effieciency=merchants who make a lot of money. There is also a national idea that raises this as well as some sliders (navy vs. army for example I think).

The other way to increase your income is to find new COT's. More COT's means more places you can send merchants means more money. You might think this means that you should take the Quest for the New World idea, but I would advise against it. Shrewd Commerce Practices and...the other one, what is it? Anyway the national ideas that raise trade efficiency and compete chance are more important. Some time in the early 1500's (maybe earlier) the world's COT's should begin being revealed to you anyway.

Try to keep your rep low and, if possible, your prestige high. Both affect compete chances.

EDIT: Also does anyone know what the trigger is for the East India Company? Because I got that bad boy and I want to make sure I get it in future games. I assume it had something to do with my colony in Java.
    Last edited by ajm317; July 26, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    As Ragabash said your trade goes directly into your research, so my suspicion is that what's going on here is that you're doing really well in research and you don't know it. If you want to turn that trade into cash you have to mint (which will result in inflation, but I don't think that's really as big a deal as some people say, as long as you do something with the money once you get it.)

If you want to see how much money you're making off trade go to the ledger and look at your income page. It'll be a list with all the various methods of income and how much you've made off them this year and last. My guess is trade is probably making up a huge chunk of your annual income (probably 90%+).

In my game as Venice I'm making something like 4500 ducats a year off trade, which is 43% of my annual income. Now my trade level is 26 and I have access to every COT on the map, but as you can see there is money to be made here.
    Wow! 4500 ducats is only 43% of your annual income? I believe 4500 ducats would be 1000% of my total annual income . Do you think it's worth investing in trade when you're way behind everyone? I think the average trade level of nations is about double mine, so I don't bother with trade any more.

EDIT: Also does anyone know what the trigger is for the East India Company? Because I got that bad boy and I want to make sure I get it in future games. I assume it had something to do with my colony in Java.
    How is the East India Trading Company expressed in the game?
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    Wow! 4500 ducats is only 43% of your annual income? I believe 4500 ducats would be 1000% of my total annual income . Do you think it's worth investing in trade when you're way behind everyone? I think the average trade level of nations is about double mine, so I don't bother with trade any more.
    Probably not. Even playing as Venice with a good trade tech level I found it really hard to compete with Burgundy and Mecklenberg early (Burgundy got +10 compete chance for luck, Mecklenberg +10 for Hanseatic League.) I made a fair amount of money, but I wasn't top dog. It wasn't until the new COT's were revealed, some of the competition was conquered (a bunch of small states, particularly Mecklenberg) and I got East India company that I really took off.

My guess is that at this point you're better off focusing on production. You could get back into the trading game if you worked at it, but you'd probably get better returns by concentrating on colonizing and production at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    How is the East India Trading Company expressed in the game?
    It was an event, and again I'm assuming my colony in Java triggered it (or was one trigger factor.) It's pretty nice. If I recall (and I don't have the game in front of me, so don't quote me) it provides some sort of efficiency bonus, +4 per month to trade research and a +10(!) to compete chance, permanently.

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

The more provinces and colonies linked to trade center the higher it's income .
    If you play on nation with trade center all of your colonies would add to center overall income would be .
    You can check how much trade revenue province has - some goods are much more valuable
    Last edited by Edelward; August 11, 2007 at 04:40 PM.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son