Thread: Want to learn

Default Want to learn

hey! i really like the mods that are out but i want to try to make my own, the problem is that i never have done it before and it seems quite difficult,many programs,where to start etc... i would been awesome if someone could help me with what i need and where to start?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Want to learn

You could start by following the classes in the university, or by joining up with the Rookie's nook, or by just going though the tutorials...or join an existing team, take a look through the classified section, most teams will take you on as a beginner...

Welcome to TWC...

Start with what you think you can do best. No need to learn all... and certainly not at once. If you think you are a good artist, learn skinning (and perhaps modeling later). It's the easiest part to begin with; you just need to convert a few file types and overwrite them to edit an in-game skin. Editing the text files, though, may result in a crash to desktop much easier (I never managed to add even a region to the map!).

Yeah it depends on what you enjoy doing. Personally, I started modding on Napoleon in Russia a long time ago. I didn't "learn to mod", I looked in the game folder, found a file that I could open in notepad, changed a number, ran the game and found that I had changed something. Then I found more things I could change, etc. Then I went on to mod MTW1, and of course when you know the abilities of notepad on txt files in the data folder, just keep looking for more stuff that you can change, and try things out. Now I'm able to skin as well, have been able to add new units to the game, etc. It just takes some time and experimentation. Also there are a lot of tutorials in the mod workshop.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag