Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Catholic Faction?

Deacon Byron's Avatar Civis

Default Favorite Catholic Faction?

Well, this will be my first time in months to play this game, and I want start out with a good Western European Catholic Faction. I was thinking either Spain or the HRE. What do you guys think?
    "We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." -Charles Bukowski

"Humantiy is over the Hill." -Deacon Byron

YOU REP MY BACK, AND I'LL REP YOUR BACK! JUST BE PATIENT! ...or not.

Default Re: Favorite Catholic Faction?

Probably Denmark or HRE for me, but I'm not playing vanilla, either, so that makes a difference.
    La Garde recule.

Spain , they rock at everything.

and all but England, idk i hate medieval to victorian england.

i think bravehearth and the patriot(thoug im not american) had 2 much influence on me.

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    - Nappy B.

The only fact in history.

I like France. They've got a good variety of units and their late-game roster is magnificent. They're also within striking distance of some lucrative provinces. They also get a lot of variety, fighting the Italians, the English, the Spanish, and the HRE, all of which are fairly different from one another. And you've got a sourthern port to set out from on crusade if needs be.
    Last edited by Snipafist; July 24, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

I'd say England - i love them for some inexplicable reason, but i'm a little afraid to recommend them since i see your scottish colours flying .

But from the two choices you gave, i'd take HRE. One of the few factions with unusual units, they get Reiters when gunpowder hits (you can send your other units in retirement then, though it's fun to keep them around), and a damn nasty postition which either kills you or gives you absurd power early on.

When going for the Peninsula, i preferred Portugal over Spain... about the same stuff, but they get these nice Aventuros.

Deacon Byron's Avatar Civis

Haha, yeah Latorque, I've played as Scotland quite a bit, and have turned the Brits into nothing more than beggars on more than one occasion. But I think I'm going with the HRE. Never played as them for some reason.
    "We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." -Charles Bukowski

"Humantiy is over the Hill." -Deacon Byron

YOU REP MY BACK, AND I'LL REP YOUR BACK! JUST BE PATIENT! ...or not.

It depends..... you wanna play as a western european faction, but who do you want to fight? If you wanna fight eastern europeans, then I'd choose HRE. If you want to fight other western europeans, then I'd choose france. If you want to fight muslims, then Spain would be my choice.

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Portagul

You get to fight the Moors and spanish early on- then from your lucrative position you could expand south into North Africa or move north into france or cross the seas into italy or England

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

I like Portugal over Spain because it seems they have the same units but Portugal has a few unique better ones than Spain.

Heh, Spanish and the HRE are my two favorite factions.

But, I find the Spanish campaign to be alot more fun.

There's just something about that peninsula...

Spain.. .because.. Id prefer any country in the Latin Arc than a Germanic country

Yup, i had a blast with my Portugal Campaign too. The difference to Spain seems cosmetically mostly - though i never had these mad attack/counterattack situations again, i just love the position, not for the faint of heart though... i nearly got a stroke when Poland attacked me for the 100th time after declaring a ceasefire .

Denmark is a lot of fun to play and their infantry is awesome... except its a little bit difficult to fight against cavalry when your best spear unit is spear militia.

aye Denmark vs HRE make up great infantry battles. It does not even matter which side you choose

But its a personal preference in my case. I just love infantry battles, especially at bridges!
    Samir
    the gods are good, only the priests are evil
    <Voltaire>

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

West = France the best faction in whole game
    East = Poland and Hungary

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

oh and forgot to add Sicily down south...

France, as they have a very strong late unit roster. I have a strong dislike over england because they are a bit to overrated as the "the" medieval faction, when most of there culture was borrowed over.

Laetus

England,because they have strong arher units.....
    and according to me,archers is the strongest units in M2TW ^_^
    becauze it can be ranged unit & melee unit too :p

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Denmark for their roster (go vikings!), location, war clerics and lots of cash. It's pure pleasure that have all that armor piercing units in your stack and see HRE attacking you with 90% swordsmen army. :-)

thoscme's Avatar Semisalis

i really like france. as some other guy's have stated, their roster is magnificent, especially late-game. and i kinda like crusading with france as well!
    proud norwegian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast